Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Daily Wear

Doe Peterson

New in Town
Hi Everyone,
I was just curious if everyone is able to dress traditionally (or vintage) everyday? Especially at work. I also wondered what kind of responses you get from other people. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to dress traditionally at all of my jobs. Sometimes I get some weird stares here and there, but usually people are interested and many people share that they used to collect and wear vintage clothes. I really couldn't imagine my life without classic clothes, shoes and hair, accessories and furniture. I wouldn't feel like myself.

missjo

Practically Family
I wear vintage clothing 24/7 (even when I sleep).
I am my own boss so I can wear what I like, nice and easy.
I do get some strange looks and comments but on the other hand im quite famous in this city now and people come to me to give me their 1930s and 1940s things for free!!
Also people at the fleamarket put things aside for me, nice!
I never wore a dress till I was in my 20's and now I cant remember the last time I wore trousers.
Once you go vintage you dont want to go back :cool:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am always dressed vintage as well, and have worked in a variety of environments in the past few years. Currently, I work for a university, and although I get the occasional odd look and comment, on the whole I find that people consider 1940s style to be a positive thing. I'm actually one of the dressiest people in the building, but that probably works to my advantage! In fact, one of the neatest comments that I received was from a coworker on another team, who remarked that I make everyone else look like 'bozos'!

Anyway, I've dressed this way for so long that it no longer feels right to leave the house sans makeup and a well-coiffed 'do. Although I own a couple of pairs of 1940s jeans, I almost never wear them! To me, casual wear is a nice pair of wide-legged slacks and a sweater or blouse. I even dress 'up' to clean, cook and run errands around town. My motto is 'tis better to be overdressed than too casual!'

My take on the look is that it makes me happy, is very classy and elegant, and sets me apart from the crowd in a positive way. The clothing is much more tailored and flattering, and I never have to worry about meeting someone dressed in the same outfit! So, in those regards it makes perfect sense to be the way I am :)

And yes, I too have gained a reputation as ‘that 1940s girl’, and people now recognize me on the street (especially as I have been on TV numerous times in the past few years in support of the retro movement, swing dancing, and several vintage places). Works for me! ;)

missjo

Practically Family
yes i hear that too, few people these days put an effort into how they look...no lets rephrase that; they do put an effort into their looks but it doesnt show...
I go to a lot of ww2 shows so quite often I dont look glamourous, almost never wear makeup but do have a vintage hairstyle everyday.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
missjoeri said:
i'm quite famous in this city now and people come to me to give me their 1930s and 1940s things for free!!
Also people at the fleamarket put things aside for me, nice!
I never wore a dress till I was in my 20's and now I cant remember the last time I wore trousers.
Once you go vintage you dont want to go back :cool:

This has started happening to me also! Sometimes people will buy something vintage and never wear it or they'll have something from their grandmothers and they will give me great things for free! People at work will sometimes say they look forward to seeing what I'll wear the next day.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
jitterbugdoll said:
Anyway, I've dressed this way for so long that it no longer feels right to leave the house sans makeup and a well-coiffed 'do. Although I own a couple of pairs of 1940s jeans, I almost never wear them! To me, casual wear is a nice pair of wide-legged slacks and a sweater or blouse. I even dress 'up' to clean, cook and run errands around town. My motto is 'tis better to be overdressed than too casual!'

My take on the look is that it makes me happy, is very classy and elegant, and sets me apart from the crowd in a positive way. The clothing is much more tailored and flattering, and I never have to worry about meeting someone dressed in the same outfit! So, in those regards it makes perfect sense to be the way I am :)

And yes, I too have gained a reputation as ‘that 1940s girl

You expressed my sentiments exactly!

missjo

Practically Family
thats so nice!

a lady in the street asked me about my hat and if I would be interested in getting some like the one I was wearing.
5 minutes later I was in her house receiving 5 1930s hats for free!
Things like that happen a lot.
Also im a walking advertisement for my company this way.

Doe Peterson

New in Town
Wow! What a great experience!! I have those fantasies all the time. That some little old lady would say "I have clothes that are just about your size from the 30's and 40's. Would you be interested?"

missjo

Practically Family
Doe Peterson said:
Wow! What a great experience!! I have those fantasies all the time. That some little old lady would say "I have clothes that are just about your size from the 30's and 40's. Would you be interested?"

after a interview I did in a national newspaper people have been sending me ww2 clothes, a 1936 weddingdress and tomorrow im visiting someone who is going to give me clothes that belonged to a resistance fighter I have admired for ages!

fifi

Familiar Face
I'm able to wear vintage every day at the office too. I have garnered quite the reputation in the building; then again, I don't have too much competition considering we have lots of men wandering around in jeans with engine grease under their nails. It's a very casual environment here, so I'm pretty much always overdressed no matter what I wear. But that's OK, they're used to me by now! They hear the clickety-clack of my Springolators and know I'm coming!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I wish I could.
The salon I work at requires us to wear all white in the spring and summer and all black in the fall and winter.It makes it very difficult.The fall/winter is easier,but it's still very limiting.
Also,working in a salon I am less inclined to wear vintage.You never know when you will find yourself standing in the vicinity of a falling bowl of bleach. :cry:
So,I'm not sure what I'd wear if I could choose,perhaps reproduction.
In the summer,I get so bored and disheartened by my lack of nostalgic style,I usually cut off all my hair and color it very bright vivid colors,just to express myself some way.

MissTayva

I never have to worry about meeting someone dressed in the same outfit!

Oh, exactly! Haha, I won't even dare wear repro stuff... especially as far as California is concerned. Indeed, I have bought reproduction pieces, only to go to a show and see four other gals wearing it. I always think to myself how uncomfortable they must feel, and am always glad that I opted to wear something else, haha!

But yeah, I always wear vintage. The only new stuff I own is the rubbish I wear around the house when I'm dealing with the kids. Now, a good majority of my foundations are new... but don't kid yourself, I have plenty of vintage, as well.

I've been wearing and collecting vintage for the past eight years, and going without it just doesn't feel right.

Yes, it does bring me a lot of looks, stares and comments. I figure this, though... at least I look classy (even if I am in jeans). It's not like look like one of those with funny colored hair, too-skimpy clothes or lookin' like I got in a fight with a tackle box... haha.

decodoll

Practically Family
I always wear vintage as well. Except when around the house (the cats always want to sit on my lap and inevitably something will get snagged!) or camping. Although, I would like to make some more vintagy casual wear that wouldn't get ruined easily for these times. I just don't really feel like myself when I'm not in vintage or retro.

I have a few repro pieces in my wardrobe, but mostly I find I don't care for them as much as I thought I would as soon as I get home! I prefer to make my own repros from vintage patterns.

I can't say I really get any negative comments about the way I dress. I do get lots of positive or inquisitive comments. Lots of people asking where I get my shoes! I am quite proud of my vintage shoe collection. I have about 30 pairs. When I was young I hated having narrow feet because I couldn't wear anything that didn't lace or buckle up, but it's perfect now for vintage shoe shopping!

Doe Peterson

New in Town
decodoll said:
I just don't really feel like myself when I'm not in vintage or retro.

I have a few repro pieces in my wardrobe, but mostly I find I don't care for them as much as I thought I would as soon as I get home! I prefer to make my own repros from vintage patterns.

I feel the same way. I just received new patterns from Schissorhappy! I think Miss Tayva suggested that one on another thread. They also sell vintage fabric, so now I'm looking for a sewing class. As much as I like some of the repro stuff, it is a bit pricey. Also I never wear the pieces to shows because I'm afraid of the same scenario, five other girls with the same dress on. I'm also looking for a reasonably priced seamtress in my area. But when I do find vintage pieces that fit well, it's just a thousand times better.

missjo

Practically Family
Why not buy original patterns?
I only have original patterns, old fasion magazines, etc.
The chances of someone having the same 1930s pattern as the one I use for my dress would be rather unique.

By the way... today I was GIVEN 4 amazing 1930's dresses that belonged to a famous Dutch resistance fighter and her mother!
Museums will be jalous :cool:

Trickeration

Practically Family
Well, It's so nice to hear about all of you and how so many are dressing vintage every day! I'm also pretty much 24/7 vintage. With the exceptions being when I'm doing really messy work in the yard, or on the car. I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm usually in vintage jeans with button shirts or sweaters, skirts with nice vintage blouses, or housedresses. I also have vintage lingerie (along with my modern stuff) and sleepwear and a 40's full length housecoat that I love.

My husband is an aerospace engineer and also a reserve officer in the military. Both positions call for dressy or business fuctions now and then. I especially like going to these, as it gives me a reason to pull out my finer dresses, and suits. And some of the events our big band has played at have given me a chance to wear a couple of my 40's gowns. I've met girls who collect shoes, swimsuits, hats, hankies...my downfall is gowns. I have 9 so far.

Being in the Los Angeles area, I don't stand out too much, since it's pretty 'anything goes' around here. But I still get looks and compliments. I think it is that the vintage look is so much cleaner and classier, even when you're in jeans. You've taken the time to do you make-up and you don't have, like Miss Tayva says, 'tackle-box' hair :) .

I agree with Miss Tayva, too, about the repro stuff. I've seen some cute stuff out there, but I'd be afraid of running into my 'twin' at a show. Besides, it's much more fun when you get to talking with people about where you've all gotten your cute dresses or shoes. However, I've done dance performances where repro dresses were best. These were for a non-vintage audience, doing aerials where I didn't want to risk damage to vintage clothes.

I have also had people give me stuff. Not a lot, but a hat here, a coat there, and a couple of suits. The best, though, was when my aunt gave me a bunch of her grandmother's jewelry. Her grandmother died last year at 102 years old. My aunt was going to ebay the stuff, but decided it was too much trouble. She then remembered me and sent the stuff over. The box was about 14 by 14 inches square and filled to the top with jewelry, hankies, some hand crocheted gloves and some belts. All but a couple of things were pre-1950's. I almost did one of those of those old fashioned faints when I opened the box! I'm so glad my aunt is not too ambitious ;) !

Missjoeri-
What a wonderful gift! A real piece of history. It's nice to know, too, that the dresses are with someone who truely appreciates them. You'll have to post pictures sometime!

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
It would be nice to be able to choose to dress vintage whenever I liked, but there is just not much of it around here. I have yet to see even a specialty retro/vintage shop in this country that has more than one or two items (not garments! Items!) from earlier than 1950. (Most focus on the '60s and 70s.) The few I do see all seem to be in fragile condition, hideously expensive, and far, far, far too small for me!

I've looked for vintage patterns, but haven't found any yet (I don't look forward to altering them to fit, either). I know you can get them on the internet, but I don't have a credit card, and shipping costs to NZ are awful. I just make do with "vintagesque", if I wear it at all. Admittedly, I haven't searched madly for stuff... Clothes are kind of way down my budget list. :p

One day... :)

missjo

Practically Family
you could get a paypal account, I got one without having a credit card and use it for ebay and such.

With patterns you can make yourself a lot of clothes, even with just 1 pattern and several different fabrics you can get very far!
People back then often changed patterns a bit, so you could add or remove certain things on a dress to make more different ones with the same pattern.

Also have a look here;
www.swingstyle.de

They sell a cd with patterns.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Quote:
It's not like look like one of those with funny colored hair

Hey,no making fun. :p

LOl!

Seriously,I do envy everyone's ability to have a choice.I would love to dress vintage more often,but find it very difficult limited to my color choices and worried about ruining a treasured peice.
However,I did receive an enticing job offer yesterday and found myself immediately thinking:"what would I wear?"
I don't wear pants often,so the enticement of going out and investing in some pencil,circle,and tulip shaped skirts,casual vintage blouses,day dresses and accessories really appealed to me.
But what type of shoes for a gal on her feet 9 hours a day?

If I take this offer,I may need some coaching,but I know this the right place for expert advice. ;)

fifi

Familiar Face
Doe Peterson said:
So now I'm looking for a sewing class.

Doe--Will you please let me know if you find a good sewing class? I'm also in the L.A. area, and it's been years since I took a class. I've done a few of my own alterations, but the last thing I made from scratch is a pencil skirt in 1993! I believe the Singer store in Burbank offers/offered classes, but I never looked into it further. I would like to take up sewing again.

Whitney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran