Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Digital Camera....?

Edward

Bartender
Looking again just the other evening at photos from this year's Chap Olympiad got me to thinking.... Lots of photos of folks in great looking vintage and vintage inspired garbs, but the plethora of little silver boxes - digital cameras - killed the illusion just a smidge. Now, I'll never give up the convenience of digital, but wouldn't it be great if someone produced a reasonable spec (say 10MP, 4x optical zoom) digital camera in a housing that looked like a Box Brownie or similar vintage period camera? I've halfway begun to wonder whether, if I bought an old camera with good outer casing but dead innards, I could have a handy friend install the guts of a digital into it for me...?

Chainsaw

Suspended
I can't remember if it was in one of FL's threads or not. But there was a conversion for the accordion style ones. It looked great, and functioned well.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Here's a thought: Use FILM! Tons of great vintage cameras that actually work, and film is still available for many formats. They used film in the 30s and 40s, what could be MORE vintage?!

Chainsaw

Suspended
I miss film. You actually have to think before you take a shot. Double check all the settings, check the focus et-cetera. There was a finality to each picture, because of film, because of cost, because circumstance, you had to be sure the shot was good.

Now, you can take a picture and adjust the settings based on how the picture looks. You no longer have to wait days, or even have spend money to get your pictures.

It's almost as if pictures no longer have value or meaning, or any essence, since they no longer have value. Even the intrinsic value of photos has dropped.

I still have my old Nikon FE, but never use it though. I still use my digital manually.

Argee

One of the Regulars
I've been toying with this idea for a while. An Argus C3 seems to be the perfect conversion candidate, certainly cheap enough, and the right size. I just haven't had the courage to crack open a digital camera to see if I could rearrange the components and keep it functional.

Lottie

Familiar Face
The only vintage-ish camera i've been able to find were these:

http://www.minox-us.com/index.php?id=1088&L=1

http://www.minox-us.com/index.php?id=1094&L=1

I think they look nice (plus: square pictures. yaysies), but oooh so tiny!
I do agree that film is a great medium for meaningful shots, but for documentation purposes or snapshots of friends on a fun night out, I prefer the comfort of digital cameras (and not annoying everbody by taking ages to take a picture ;D)
I guess I'll have to buy a cheap digital camera and try to retrofy it with acrylic paint.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:

Ohhh...... now that's gorgeous. I see they're up to 5.1MP now, which I like the idea of - sharp enough for vintage-style shots to be processed into B&W and/or sepia... (by the by, can anyone put a date for me on when b&w replaced sepia?) The price is still a little scary, but worth my keeping an eye on...

Thanks... I was looking for those threads, but couldn't turn them up when I searched.

Chainsaw said:
I can't remember if it was in one of FL's threads or not. But there was a conversion for the accordion style ones. It looked great, and functioned well.

Any more word on that? That sounds like it could be very promising...

Lottie said:

I do agree that film is a great medium for meaningful shots, but for documentation purposes or snapshots of friends on a fun night out, I prefer the comfort of digital cameras (and not annoying everbody by taking ages to take a picture ;D)
I guess I'll have to buy a cheap digital camera and try to retrofy it with acrylic paint.

Yeah, those are cute, aren't they? Absolutely agree with you on the convenience of digital...

MisterCairo said:
Here's a thought: Use FILM! Tons of great vintage cameras that actually work, and film is still available for many formats. They used film in the 30s and 40s, what could be MORE vintage?!

It's a nice idea, but just not practical for me. I tend to run off so many photos and always want to crop this or that - it'd simply get too expensive too quickly to go back to film.

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
That seems like low resolution. I'm not a camera expert, but my junk digital that I use for home inspection (where it gets dropped and drug through the dirt in crawl spaces and otherwise abused and neglected) has 7.1 megapixels. I paid $60 for the last one. Since I destroy them at a rate of one per year I don't spend much for the ones I use on inspections.

My good Cannon that I use for pictures of my daughter and other stuff that I care about is a 12.1 megapixel camera. I would think that a camera as expensive as shown above would have more than 5 megapixels.

Edward

Bartender
Oh, undoubtedly they're charging a lot for the novelty value. If I ran into a used one at a much lower price, though....

The ideal, I think, would still be to stick the guts out of a better, cheaper digital camera into an old shell.... I must look into that, as I've seen very many non-working old camera of that type selling for real cheap...

I wonder if the steampunk community has done anything with this....

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Oh, undoubtedly they're charging a lot for the novelty value. If I ran into a used one at a much lower price, though....

The ideal, I think, would still be to stick the guts out of a better, cheaper digital camera into an old shell.... I must look into that, as I've seen very many non-working old camera of that type selling for real cheap...

I wonder if the steampunk community has done anything with this....

of course they have.....here are but two...

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/12/man-builds-his.php

http://herrdoktors.blogspot.com/2009/08/electro-iconograph.html

kpreed

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
(by the by, can anyone put a date for me on when b&w replaced sepia?
As a pro and historical photo restorer my answer to this is: sepia photos are actually the result of faded chemicals. However, today's photographers often deliberately add a sepia tone to images where an antique feel is desired or the colors in the original image distract from the subject. Any help?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Minox Rolleiflex digital

51svAsFfxuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I bought one of those a couple of years ago, it's complete garbage. I don't even think you could call it a "toy" camera unless you define that as something that only takes blurry photos. I immediately sold it on Ebay. Unless they completely redesigned it since then I wouldn't waste you're time or money.

Lottie said:

Edward

Bartender
J. M. Stovall said:
I bought one of those a couple of years ago, it's complete garbage. I don't even think you could call it a "toy" camera unless you define that as something that only takes blurry photos. I immediately sold it on Ebay. Unless they completely redesigned it since then I wouldn't waste you're time or money.

That's a shame, thanks for letting us know, though.

Miss Neecerie said:

Ohhhh...... Now, if only someone was to do a dieselpunk version of the second one, and make it available for sale.... the idea of a cover I can put over my existing camera is perfect!

Edward

Bartender
kpreed said:
Edward said:
(by the by, can anyone put a date for me on when b&w replaced sepia?
As a pro and historical photo restorer my answer to this is: sepia photos are actually the result of faded chemicals. However, today's photographers often deliberately add a sepia tone to images where an antique feel is desired or the colors in the original image distract from the subject. Any help?

So sepia is the photo aging, really? Does that mean that a B&W photo from, say, 1910 would have looked the same as a late Sixties B&W image originally?

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Many of Leica's compact digital cameras seem to still hold to their 1950s aesthetic:

http://uk.leica-camera.com/photography/new_products/

I don't know if that's quite the vintage look you're aiming for however. Unfortunately, they also come with a vintage price tag, so maybe not the thing for spilling Pimm's on!

I'm sure I've seen a black and silver version of this Olympus that has a similar feel, but I can't find any pics of it online:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/21693_pen-camera_e-p2_22351.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner