Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eastman B3 question

Heinz D.

New in Town
Hallo all,
today I found an Eastman B3 size 40 on ebay, wich I liked for it's hide shown throu the photos which were posted.
But the fastening of the zipper is more like on Irvine Jackets. Is this typical for earlier Eastmans?
Does anybody know?

Regards Heinz

BTW still looking for a RMNZ B3 size 42/44

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The use of seamtapes to cover the zip tape on very early ELC B-3s was a historical error! Originals never used leather seam tapes along the zip tape. I have one in a size 44 and am about to remove the repro Talon zip and leather seamtapes and replace with a NOS Talon. These early ELC jackets have much more character than some of their current B-3s IMO.

Heinz D.

New in Town
Thanks for your reply.

Exactly what Andrew mentioned is shown on this ebay auction. Perhapes the solution is to replace the zipper.

Regards Heinz

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
It wasnt an error Eastman gave you the choice of either the naked tape or one covered by the leather strip . your right they are great jackets looking for anoher one 2tone 44 long !!!!!!

aswatland

Of course Gary Eastman knew enough about B-3s to make them correctly in the 1980s! The point I'm making is that the two leather seam tapes are not correct for original B-3s. I suspect they were used to strengthen the sheepskin along the zip. He quickly dispensed with on the grounds of authenticity.

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Ok

Mine has the correct naked tape but has steerhide faceings because I didnt know any better back then, still love it though Id like to see it next to an original. If Id known better would have got the horse.

aswatland

I recently bought an early Eastman B-3 in a size 44. Today I removed the repro Talon zip along with the seam tapes and replaced it with a NOS Talon from MASH Japan. Here are the before and after pictures. I have also slightly customised the ends of the collar straps. This early jacket was based on a H. Bernstein B-3 which Gary photographed for his Golden Book.

Before:-

002-1.jpg

After:-

004-1.jpg

Last edited:

Heinz D.

New in Town
Verry nice Jacket. I wish the repro makers would use, or even can provide such curly hides, nowadays.
When I'am looking at the pictures shown at Lost Worlds, Eastman, The Few, RMNZ ect. I can't see anything like yours.

Baron Enski

Familiar Face
Are you going to sell it Andrew if that were an inch longer in the arms and body I"d be interested. Let me Know if you come across the same in a 44 long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn