Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Etiquette

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I grew up in the south where yes mame and yes sir were a given.....
to anyone your senior.

holding the door for ladies, giving your seat up on the buss or train for a lady, offering to carry a heavy package for a lad,y elderly etc.....these were something that were suppose to be automatic.

Its funny I use to judge a girl I would take out on whether or not she unlocked my car door after I opened and closed the car door for her....

The boy scouts had it right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ghost

Adele

One of the Regulars
grey ghost said:
Its funny I use to judge a girl I would take out on whether or not she unlocked my car door after I opened and closed the car door for her....

That immediately reminded me of "A Bronx Tale" and the scene where the kid was walking to his side and hoping so badly that the gal would unlock his side.

Can that really be done now, though? Since when you unlock the automobile, it does it for all doors. Unless it's the kind of car which you have to press the button twice to open all doors, but then when you only press it once, it only opens the driver's side... I'm rambling.

I try to be as well mannered as I can. I try to always apply what I learned as a child from my mother, and things I have learned as I've grown up. I think I could still learn more, though.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Adele said:
Can that really be done now, though? Since when you unlock the automobile, it does it for all doors. Unless it's the kind of car which you have to press the button twice to open all doors, but then when you only press it once, it only opens the driver's side... I'm rambling.
it can be done now if you don't have a car with remote locking... actually the most annoying part when driving my friends is when they get out and don't lock the doors because they're not used to locking them...

Nashoba

One Too Many
Gaige said:
Especially if I'm dressed super-casual (shorts, t-shirt, etc) so perhaps don't look the part of someone who would; I do anyway and the surprise is evident.

Nah, I've seen you both dressed up and super casual. You pretty much always look the part. It has less to do with how you're dressed and more to do with how you carry yourself. Those who are suprised don't know what they're looking for or at.

I hold to ettiquette. As often and as much as I can. but we don't call it ettiquette down here in the south. We call it good manners ;). Just kidding...

Most of the time I will sit quietly in the car while the gentleman goes around the other side to open the door for me. And I will *always* unlock the driver's side if it isn't already unlocked. My mother in law laughed at me once when she saw me do it. She said it takes too long and so my father in law gave up on it years ago. So I had to re-train her son....lol I have a friend who has asked me to help him develop more gentlemanly habits and there have been times when I've sat in the car and watched him start to walk away before he realized I was still sitting in the car. That is always amusing. What is really sweet is that many of the gentlemen that I have spent time with, Gaige included, will open, hold open, and close the door for me when *I'm* driving. Then walk around to their own door. I will almost always fall a step behind as we approach a door to allow it to be opened and I will allow a gentleman to take my packages for me.

But I am also a part of a fading few military spouses who understand and abide by military ettiquette. An officer to me is always Sir, Ma'am, or their rank regardless of the number of times they ask me to call them otherwise. I do my best to always look sharp and act appropriately. My actions and attitudes reflect on my husband and I refuse to cast him in a light that is anything but honorable. And they notice, because demeanors change when I'm around. They are far more respectful around me than they are around some of the other spouses. And not because I demand it, but because they offer it. Many of the other spouses I have come across don't even know that military ettiquette exists, let alone abide by it

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba said:
Most of the time I will sit quietly in the car while the gentleman goes around the other side to open the door for me.

What is really sweet is that many of the gentlemen that I have spent time with, Gaige included, will open, hold open, and close the door for me when *I'm* driving. Then walk around to their own door. I will almost always fall a step behind as we approach a door to allow it to be opened and I will allow a gentleman to take my packages for me.

My wife usually gets out of the car before I do, so I rarely get to open the door for her when we arrive somewhere. She is, however, now used to having me open the car door (and any other door, for that matter) for her, including when she's driving.

Regards,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic