Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

ITG

Call Me a Cab
So how many of you have your eyebrows plucked or waxed into a vintage style. Here's some pics of famous stars with various eyebrown styles. I picked out a few that I like and am planning on printing them off and taking me with them when I get my brows waxed sometime this next week.

http://www.moviemaidens.com/

Oh this link is also great for looking at various hair styles.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Eyebrows

I hope someone can provide some advice for me to pass on to my mom. She is 76 years old, and her eyebrows have become so thin that she now shaves them and draws them in. Unfortunately, they look rather uneven when she does this. I know that during the 30s or 40s, some women shaved their eyebrows and drew them in. Does anyone have any advice for drawing in eyebrows evenly and consistently?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Or a less painful method- stenciling. I think you can get eyebrow stencils.

I lived downtown LA while I was in school. Lots of the workers in the garment district would tattoo their eyebrows on, but it looks kind of wierd because they did them so dark.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I also have thin eyebrows. When I was a young thing, in college, I thought it would be cool to have arched eyebrows and so plucked out the outside part of my straightish eyebrows. Of course, it was a failure -- my eyebrows grew in all over the place and I had to pluck them for many years.

Recently, they have stopped growing in and so I now have "half" eyebrows --none at all past a certain point, nor is the hair very dark.

I would like to get a tatoo or do something to have a permanent effect. I would not want them tatooed dark, that would like weird with my graying hair and fairly light features. But it would be nice not to have to draw them in every day.

What do the stencils do? Just give you and good pattern to follow? Do you use eyebrow pencil or something more permanent?

Thanks, karol

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Stencils are fairly easy to use, and they usually come in a "kit" that comes with a soft waxy product (like what is inside a brow pencil or eyeliner pencil) or a dark powder, and an applicator. You just hold the stencil on at a good spot and stencil away!

Also, for a more permanent solution, tatooing is really not a bad idea. There are lots of places that specialize in "permanent cosmetics" so they will be able to pick a good shape and position them well, and also choose an appropriate shade of ink. You won't have to go to a scary tatoo parlor or anything!

Here's a few brow kits to browse:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P65404&categoryId=B70

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P52209&categoryId=B70

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtmlid=P130126&categoryId=B70

~ Queenie

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
Permanent makeup (tattoos) look so much more natural now a days. 5+ years ago they looked fake but now they have better techniques and equipment. I took a few classes, got to tattoo fake skin, and watched many people get permanent makeup applied. Now permanent makeup artists use different shading techniques with multiple colors of ink to give eyebrows dimension. Its an art, find someone who specializes in it and the results will be beautiful.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I personally am a little weary of the tatoo thing, but if it's going to make your life easier... It is a pain to draw them on everyday. When she doesn't shave off her brows, how do they look? Maybe she can use the natural hairline for a guide while drawing them on. The easiest thing I tell people when I shape them is to hold their pencil like they are using a pen about to write something. Using a very light stroking motion (almost like the uplift at the end of making a checkmark) keep the pencil to the side, meaning flat against the head and make feathery strokes the direction of the hair growth. If you can, go back over with a brow brush/dry toothbrush/dry mascara wand whatever to blend in the pencil with any hairs or to brake up the pigment as not to look so 'drawn'. Another trick which is nice is to take a small flat brush and using any product from moiturizer, concealer what have you, you can clean up, or carve out the brown line if it's messy, also gives it a polished look. If she is older, she might have white, grey or blonde hair so it's prpbably best to use a softer color pencil like fawn, taupe etc... if she is truely at a loss, the stencils might be a good suggestion and a powder works better in that instance.

Naama

Practically Family
I only can agree with katiemakeup. As I'm going for an early 30's look, I always plug my eyebrows rather thin. My eyebrows are actually dark (I think black) but they grow pretty thin so it looks almost as I don't have any. I only take a brow pencil, follow my eyebrows and smuge it a little. I think the result is pretty good (at least I think so :rolleyes: ) and it's fast and easy.

Naama

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. I may pursue getting tatooed eyebrows, especially if the art has changed. Thanks for the info, D-Day-Doll and Miss Queenie.

Will also pursue a stencil; thank you Queenie for your links on those.

My hair is pretty much silvery now, so I would look weird with any dark eyebrow, even brown. I did find that a taupe color or even a medium grey looks more natural. (Found one called Stormy Grey made by Rimmel. They also make a Silver but it looks rather dramatic, I may not want black eyebrows, but I don't want to look like Andy Rooney, either!) I assume the silver pencil is for blending.

It is somewhat difficult to find eyebrow pencils in shades other than black and brown, at least in Walgreens. Was glad to find the Rimmel products.

karol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses--it's been very helpful.

My mother liked the idea of stencils very much. The problems she has had with the eyebrow pencils are that they smudge, it's hard to get them even, and they don't sharpen well.

She didn't go for the tattooing idea--she has a low tolerance for pain. And even though tattooed eyebrows might look very natural and neat, I can't help wondering how they would fare as a person ages. My mom used to have jet black hair and thick eyebrows; now she has grey hair and thin eyebrows, and her skin has succumbed somewhat to gravity.

I found a site called eyebrowz.com--I had no idea there was so much to know about eyebrows. For $36, you can make your own kit: they have over 100(!) different mylar stencils to choose from, some 10 shades of smudgeproof powder, base, and tools. Unless someone here has had some bad experience with them, I think I'll order one of their kits.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I thought 5-minute make-up was a myth! I flatly refuse to bother with cosmetics in the morning unless I'm going somewhere special because it just takes too long. Is there really such a thing as a 5-minute routine?

SwingTime

New in Town
Actually, I've always had some type of fascination with eyebrows i'm mainly in love with the styles of the 1930s so elegant just beautiful.I had my natural eyebrows pluck thin since i love that type and then i had them tattoo in a natural color "light brown" i have dark hair but i figuere well, if i ever wannna go red or brown it will be easy for me since i had them tattoo that color.I have dark hair so i just draw them with a pointy eyebrow brush and dark brown powder and they look very natural for being tattoo.I had them done for the reason that my eyebrow where very light and they look funny so i went ahead and did it, i'm gonna admit it was a bit painful and it cost me $300 dollars but i'm happy with the results i had them done about 3 years now and no complaints.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've looked at the links to the stencil kits provided. I'm sure they're excellent, or else they would not have been recommended. My only objection to them is that they are a different shape from my mother's eyebrows. The stencils have a classic, arched shape, and my mom has eyebrows shaped like a semi-circle with a slight arch. She wants to maintain a shape that's as close as possible to the original.:)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
I've looked at the links to the stencil kits provided. I'm sure they're excellent, or else they would not have been recommended. My only objection to them is that they are a different shape from my mother's eyebrows. The stencils have a classic, arched shape, and my mom has eyebrows shaped like a semi-circle with a slight arch. She wants to maintain a shape that's as close as possible to the original.:)

But she wants them to be more even day to day, right?

I would suggest making a stencil yourself then. Trace the shape of her current eyebrow onto tracing paper (right from her face) then clean the tracing up to look precisely how she wants her eyebrows to end up, and get the stencil plastic, trace the pattern onto the plastic and make the stencil she can then use daily to even things up.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I could make a very good stencil, at least, not without several tries. Actually, I found a company that makes over 100 different stencil shapes. My mom's eyebrows look most like one of the Julia Roberts inspired stencils; at least, they used to, even after she had plucked them.:)

When I started this thread, I had no idea it would generate so many great responses. We appreciate them very much.

Von Dee

New in Town
eyebrows .....

I personally think tattooing is a good option in this case, eyebrows that are tattood now a days look alot more natural, I would compare them to breast implants, in a way, just the same way breast implants look alot more natural, so do tattood eyebrows, they can be a bit pricey,but Id rather pay high price for a great job, check out this book, if you havent' done so already, you can see excatly what design you want from this book! :) Its great, I love it, I'm thinking about tattooing mine!
http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Eyebrow...kBF9TAzk2NjMyOTA3BHNlYwNmZWVkBHNsawNib29rcw--

P

Paul

Vintage eye brow shapes

I have noticed from various site that ladies eye brow shapes altered over the various decade,
I was wandering if any of the ladies deliberately shape their eye brow to match the style of the particular decade they wear, i.e. if you wear 40's vintage do you also have a 40's eye brow shape.

Or do you just go with the shape that just suits the best today .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider