Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Eyeglasses

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
equivalent

I havent had the glasses repaired yet. Busy busy. And trying to sit back & enjoy the modern glasses that I hurriedly picked up at lenscrafters.

BUT, I did just find a current equivalent to my vintage frames:

Model Name: Art Craft Art-Bilt 296 100A Ful-Vue

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp/Art_Craft-mfrg/r.html
01750094.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Glasses

I picked up a pair of old metal framed glasses at a flea market for $20, and they seem to be in great shape. They aren't quite wide enough for my face, but I like them anyway. Would their be any harm in having somebody replace the lenses? Also, should I hold on to the original lenses?
NB

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage?

I don't know what length of time constitutes 'vintage', but I've used the same eyeglass frames since about 1973! They are the classic rimless, screw through the lens, wire rims. (Much like Ray Manzarek of the Doors wore!)

Other than sunglasses, I've never seen any eyeglasses that I've liked more.

-dixon cannon

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just bought new eyeglasses for the first time in ten years, and I learned a little bit that might be useful. One, I can't see :) but really: a store like lenscrafters or Sears should be able to create a lens for your frame. I don't think you will have any use for the old lenses, but they might be useful to the store you got to, to re-create the lenses for you. It might depend on your prescription. I had to get a thicker frame, because my lenses are thick. If you have a high prescription a smaller thinner frame might make the lenses look even thicker. Some stores won't put a thick lens into such a thin frame. I could have gotten a thin frame, but I would have had to pay a lot more money to get a special thinner lens with my prescription in it. I went for a lens that is a little more than half the size it would be if I didn't buy the featherweight lens and I was shocked at the price. I would have loved to have gotten the really thin lens, but they weren't in any way affordable.
Your best bet, bring them to Sears or Lenscrafters and see what they can do. Also, both of these places offer pretty big discounts in the form of coupons. They are usually in the Sunday paper, and can make a huge difference in the price of the lenses. I went to a smaller store, thinking they might have better prices than the chains. They were double the price for both frames and lenses. I was very impressed with my Lenscrafter experience. I didn't like the first pair I bought, and they took them back, no questions asked, and had a new pair that I liked much better ready for me the next day. They usually have them ready in an hour, unless you need a special script. Then you have to wait an entire day for them!:D

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
I don't know what length of time constitutes 'vintage', but I've used the same eyeglass frames since about 1973! They are the classic rimless, screw through the lens, wire rims. (Much like Ray Manzarek of the Doors wore!)

Other than sunglasses, I've never seen any eyeglasses that I've liked more.

-dixon cannon

Oops! I forgot to mention... they are from the 30's or early 40's. :eek:

Baggers

Practically Family
I get my lenses done at Sam's Club, where're they'll do my progressive bifocal prescription for $150. They have to send them out and it takes about 10 days to turn them around, but they weren't afraid to take on my WW2 British issue respirator spectacles. They had fits adjusting the reading/distance sections because the lenses are so small compared to current styles, but they worked at it until they got it right. That, and due to the fact that they are perfectly circular, it took some trial and error getting the lenses positioned correctly in the frames. In the end though, everything worked out and I've got my vintage specs ready for action. so far they've done 4 pairs of glasses for me and I've been very pleased with the results.

Cheers!

JamesT1

Familiar Face
I usually wear contacts, but I do have a pair of pince nez glasses which I bought on e-bay for $10. They were made in the 1890's and are quite vintage.

James

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I've had about 4 pairs of vintage glasses replaced with my perscription. It can be done, but I hear it's harder to do if they are made of bakelite. I've never had anything wierd happen and I've gotten mine done by both my regular eyedoctor and a company I bought some of the glasses from.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Baggers: you lucky so & so ! I've got the same type glasses, and can't find an
optician worth a nickel that can manage to simply realize that yes, they're round, and yes, I want to put new ones in those frames, and can I see your
diploma from glass cutting school? what? you can't see it from there? here-try my glasses...[huh]

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have a couple of pairs of 1930s glasses plus a couple pairs of 1940s sunglasses that I have had modern lenses fitted. This at different times and different opticians, and I have never had any trouble. Go for it!

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Vintage Eyeglasses -Merged Thread-

Folks, looking to get a pair of vintage eyeglasses, preferably from the 1930s. Maybe something like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman wore.

Any idea for sources? (beside Ebay)

undertaker

Practically Family
Hello,
I wear a pair of glasses that date to 1933 (I still have the original Rx). They are 12 CT gold. I love them. I got them from a lady at church who is 72 years old, they were her grandfathers. I got two pairs from her the others are gold filled and not perfectly round like the ones I wear and I seem to remember some engraving across the top. If you are interested I will dig them up and take a picture. P.M. if you want me to.

Also I see them often in our local antique shops. If you will post a picture something like what you want I will keep a look out for you.

Regards,
J.S.

Lawman

One of the Regulars
Guys, thanks again so much for the advice and help. One more question: if you buy the old frames, is it fairly easy to get modern lenses (i.e., my prescription) put in them?

Mark

nightandthecity

Practically Family
no problem. had it done loads of times.

BTW: Hate to say it, but ebay is still the best source. Loads of them on there, especially the small round gold frame ones. Goodman and Miller wore frameless, these are rarer but they do turn up.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Just bought a pair at an antique store -- $18.00. (The cost of the prescription, on the other hand...) They're not wire frames but those are out there, too. You have to be willing to dig through the piles of bad 80s frames but they are definitely out there. Good luck!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm sure some company still makes the old style wire frame glasses, but are there any that have relatively inexpensive frames like these?
I'm not very nice to my glasses, and I think I want something new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy