Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fabric and Notions

Grace

Vendor
Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies! LOVE the repo depot! I want some of the atomic boomerang stuff for my kitchen. I've got a small arsenal of vintage fabrics that I've been saving for years. I'll have to brush up on my skills a bit before I take the plunge and cut them.

Will def. check out all the site recommendations. I just picked up a handful of 40's to early 50's patterns yesterday. Will get started after the first of the month.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
If you're not experienced at sewing I would definitely recommend you start by sewing with cotton before moving on to Rayon. A nice firm cotton is really easy to mark and cut, as well as going easily through the machine -- and will help get you confident about making up vintage patterns.

A couple of other favourites of mine (and very period) are sheer cotton voile or organdy. You can sometimes get modern versions of these. Worn over a slip they look really lovely, and they, too, are easier to sew than rayon. Although they don't drape as well, the sheerness prevents them from looking frumpy!

Kaela

Vendor
Believe it or not, I found this fantastic fabric at Joann's!!
It's a vintage repro, and made in a nice cotton, I'm going to make it soon, but I have quite a pile of things right now! But I just LOVE this print, and I'm all heartbroken that they don't have any more of it.
1126061557.jpg

Here's the pattern I'm fixin' it for!
p30lg867.jpg

I think this was only $5/yd, so it just goes to show, great stuff is everywhere, you just have to have your eyes out for it!

Kaela said:
Yes, repodepot.com is pretty great, but I think it's a little overpriced on some things. If you go to http://www.equilter.com they have *some* of the same fabrics, and others, actually I've found many lovely reproduction prints there. They usually sell for $8.50/yd. But rubyjane.com is cheaper, and has good customer service. Equilter is the sort of place you've got to check in with every now and then, I've seen as much as 40 different vintage repro prints at one time, and very good ones, the sad story, as always, I can't find the same ones any more! :( I'm still searching for one in particular.

Thank you Kaela! I have been buying from equilter from when you posted it ages ago. This site looks great too! I can't wait!!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
GOK said:
Internet every time. I refuse to pay high st prices, so I tend to buy in bulk from suppliers. Very often they have clearance sections which contain vintage or vintage style fabrics - usually at stupidly cheap prices.

:eek:fftopic: GOK, I just adore your lipstick. Nice avatar.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I generally buy remnants. Britex, an upscale fabric store here in the citay, has a floor full of them. Id say their remnant price is more of the going price. But their remnants are HUGE. How has a 3 yd remnant!?

If you are confused about the content of a fabric, have them do a burn test. I am not oppose to waiting for a burn test on something Im interested in.

Then most Ive ever spent on fabric, $30 a yard, but that was for a super yummy Swiss cotton :eusa_doh:

My general range is $4-$18 per yd depending on the type of fabric. Usually Ill pay a bit more for heavy wools.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SF SEWING LADIES HEADS UP

Britex, on Geary and Stockton is having a super sale this week!

ALL REMNANTS are 50% off all week (Tues.-Fri). Notions are 25% and I think reg fabric is also off. Today their patterns are 50% off! :eek:

They have gone crazzzzzy! Check out their wool section, tis to die for! :rolleyes:

LD

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm sometimes forced to go to Joann's, but despite their ever shrinking fashion fabrics section, I sometime find what I'm looking for. Just last week I got a killer deal on some black wool suiting--70% off, and I got the remnant for an additional 50% off. It's now being made into a nice skirt.

Most of the time I shop online, however, and prefer Fashion Fabrics Club or Vogue Fabrics.

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com
http://www.voguefabricsstore.com

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
if anyone is in Portland, Oregon, make sure you check out Fabric Depot out on SE 122nd. and get on their mailing list! i've only looked at cottons there, but they have so many vintage prints that they are separated by decade. best of all, they're constantly having HUGE sales so it's much cheaper than reprodepot.com. also check out Bolt on NE Alberta!

fabric depot has a website too but i'm not sure if they have their full selection on there - i haven't looked.

Grace, i totally identify with the stash of vintage fabric you're not confident enough to sew with yet! i've had a couple yards of this vintage sassy ice-skating girls fabric for 7 years now and can't figure out what will ever be worthy of it!

Elaina

One Too Many
For you ladies waiting for the perfect thing to use the vintage fabric for: It will never arrive.

I have a length of fabric from my g-g-grandmother bought in 1909. Beautiful silk, very good condition, et al, and I've had it for 22 YEARS. Waiting on the "perfect" thing to sew. I never have found it, and so it languishes in a box, waiting. You might as well enjoy it while you have it or it'll sit and your kids'll go through the same problems ;)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Maybe someone can help me out! I´m looking for any online-store that take paypal and delivers to Europe that has cute and inexpensive hawaai-fabrics!!! I have a pattern for a wonderfull dress that I want to make before summer and there is no matching fabric available over here.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Kaela said:
Believe it or not, I found this fantastic fabric at Joann's!!
It's a vintage repro, and made in a nice cotton, I'm going to make it soon, but I have quite a pile of things right now! But I just LOVE this print, and I'm all heartbroken that they don't have any more of it.
1126061557.jpg

Here's the pattern I'm fixin' it for!
p30lg867.jpg

I think this was only $5/yd, so it just goes to show, great stuff is everywhere, you just have to have your eyes out for it!

That fabric is tops! I can't wait to see how fabulous that dress looks when it's done!

Grace

Vendor
Thanks for all of your help, ladies! I'm always looking for vintage fabric wherever I go.

I recently picked up 4 yards of light blue taffeta with tiny black flocked polka dots at an antique stores going out of business sale. It was only $2!!

Then I had to go to Hancock Farbics, and I found the best 30s inspired cotton print for $4 a yard. I think it's going to make a lovely day dress.

DSCN5575.jpg

There here's the light weight poly bird print I found at a local vintage store for $8 or 9 dollars. I'm going to make a 50s inspired sun dress with it. It's very lightweight a slinky-what would I line it with?

DSCN5574.jpg

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Vintage Fabric - Vintage Fabric Repro. Weblinks?

Dear Ladies,

I have searched on the FL for a few web links were I can find vintage fabric or reproduction prints. I am not looking to buy wholesale (well, not yet) so I am interested in smaller amounts.

Anyone want to share their favorite links where you buy your vintage fabric from? (or reproductions?)

Thank you very kindly.

Desi

p.s. feel free to move if this is a duplicate entry, or otherwise inform me to a previous FL link.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I have honestly found the best stuff at Value Village/Salvation Army/etc. Not so great if you want to do a number of items in the same print, but for one-offs it is great.

This is the only one I have ever used online, and found them to be okay, but kind of expensive compared to thrift stores and what you can find on sale at regular fabric stores (although that isn't vintage...)

http://www.reprodepot.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24