Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage first names no longer in use today or not popular anymore

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Eslie, Ward (G-Grandfathers)
Murray, Mervin (Grandfathers)
Mary-Ethel (G-Grandmother)
Alice (Grandmother)
Arthur, Bruce, Emerson, Victor (Grandmother's brothers)

"Kay" as short for Katherine.
"Clair(e)" as a masculine name.

all I can think of right now.

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
My grandparents names:
Bertha Megolina
Kees
Miep
Leen

All of these Dutch names are not common anymore.
If I ever have a daughter I think of naming her Gracie Lou or Rosemary. Romy is actually short for Rosemary.

James71

A-List Customer
I named my daughter Lillian. Mostly because I like how it looks when it is written in cursive. All the looping L's and I's.

Her middle name is Noni. Noni is my grandmothers name and was fairly common here throughout the 20's and 30's, though relatively unheard of since.

Most on here know I am married to an American. Her family had never heard the name and for some reason have trouble pronouncing it. The rounded "O" seems to throw them... it comes out Nah-nee.

Oh, and my grandparents names:-

Noni
Bruce
Ernest
Ethyl. (though she has never gone by Ethyl and everyone calls her Judy. )

Great Grandparents names (some of them... cant remember them all)

Albert
Harold
Elizabeth
Catherine

Im guessing that generation remained colonials in exile, judging from the Royal names....

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My grandmother was Winona, and her lifelong nickname was "Nonie." I never heard of another Winona until whats-her-name the movie actress came along, and now there's whole bunches of them.

My other grandmother was Florence, which was also the name of the gas range in our kitchen. I used to wonder about that.

There was a lady down the street when I was growing up named "Ethlyn," and her husband's name was "Warner." It's impossible to find a more perfect pair of names for a flinty Maine couple of the 1910's generation.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
All my grandparents names have been listed except (I think) for my maternal grandmother's nickname:

Dotie

My maternal grandfather had several brothers, two of which were named

Dallas
Cleveland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner