Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage first names no longer in use today or not popular anymore

Tatum

Practically Family
I've got a few from my family. Southern folk have some interesting names...
Vartan (grandfather's middle name)
Ralph (other grandfather)
Linnie Bell (grandmother)
Floyd Pope (great uncle)
Norma Jean (mom's godmother, first and middle, same age as Marilyn, amazingly enough. She was the most beautiful woman I knew as a child too!)

Hubby's family has some interesting ones too...
Elbert
Agnes
Carlton
Henry

I have a second cousin who isn't a year yet that I think has the most adorable name that sounds vintage: Clover.

I like the name Archie, as well, but I think he'd start calling people Meathead and telling them to Stifle.

Archie. I love the name, but could never give a kid the name "Archibald."

Beulah was one of the ones we agreed on as well, we both have Irish Heritage. My great-grandmother was Beulah O'Doherty. We also agreed on Edna, another Great-Grandmother.
How about:

Petunia
Beulah
Rose
Constance
Eugenia
Myrna
Winifred
Zelda
Darius
Eugene
Felix

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Mortimer.

Not to hijack this thread, but it reminded me of some funny names from TV. Who remembers "Dash Riprock" and "Bolt Upright" from The Beverly Hillbillies!

When I was in high school in the early '80s, which I suppose could now be considered vintage :(, these were the more common names

Brian
Cheryl
Chris
David
Deborah
Denise
Jeff
Scott
Sean

Nowadays many kids and young adults seem to have surnames for first names with Taylor, Tyler, Tanner, Conner and Cody being the more notable examples.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Haven't seen Sylvia or Ruth on our list.

My younger sister has a 2 year old girl named Annabelle.

My cat's pedigree name is Sylvia, and she's only 2! And I have a niece called Annabelle who is 15, I think (I've lost track).
Aloysius.
Norman.
Percival.

Never met anyone with those names.

I have a friend called Norm, he's in his 40s.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
We had a phase in the UK a few years back of old fashioned children's names, that's why we have a rash of Lotties, Lilys, Bethans, Archies, Harrys, Oscars, etc in schools now. The press at the time called them 'Mockney' names!

On a similar subject, I taught a teenager called Oak last year!

In my husband's family there's a tradition of giving the first son the middle name of Walton.

Dr Kilroy

One of the Regulars
I do not know exactly if they are vintage, but I like them, so they must be in some way:
Millicent
Isolde
Rosemary
Emily
Lillian
Anthony
Wolfgang (well, this is perhaps a bit too German :) )
Adolf (brings negative connotations)
Frederick
Alfred
Archibald
Clarence
Claude
Innocent
Francis
Charles
Heywood
Sherlock
Clayton
Henry
Geoffrey
Staples
Walter
Venantius
Fortunatio
Amadeus
Gregory
Clement
Laurentius

That is all for now. :)

Best regards, Dr

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
These might have been listed already but some of my relative's names that are definitely not used anymore:

Mildred
Ethel
Nellie
Edna
Zelma
Elmer

And my own name, Betsy, I rarely, rarely see among young people.

LizzieMaine

Bartender

We had an Inez on our street -- she owned a vacant lot where kids liked to play and would lean out the window and yell at us if we made too much noise when she was watching her stories.

Inez had a husband named Sid, a grocer with a glass eye -- which he'd take out to intimidate kids who spent too much time loitering around the funny-book rack. There's something about these sorts of names that pretty much defines the personality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider