Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage first names no longer in use today or not popular anymore

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dorcas was a biblical character -- the sort of name that was common when people named their kids after biblical characters instead of pop-culture figures.

I once knew a family who went in for biblical names in a big way. Somewhere out there there's a pair of now-middle-aged twins named Jehu and Jonadab. At least they didn't name their daughter "Jezebel."

Almost Vintage

One of the Regulars
On the back of an old family photo (1920's/1930's) were the names of the people in the photo. The name Dorcas was written down and I was just fascinated. I'd never heard of such a name for a woman.

I had a Great Aunt Dorcas :)

My Granddaddy's name was Le Roy. Everyone called him Roy.

Fitzcarraldo

New in Town
Weird spanish names:

Sabino (the ¨sabinos¨ were a ethruskian tribe. Remenber paintings like ¨the rape of the sabine women¨), Prepucio (jews use not to have one ;) ) Terencio, Filemón, Amador, Feliciano, Hermeregildo/a, Edelmiro, Urraca (for women. An ¨urraca¨ is a magpie, a kind of bird), Eufemiano. Roman and germanic names...

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I'm not sure my great-grandmother's name would be considered "vintage" since she was born in the nineteenth century, but she was named Willie. I think there was trend for taking men's names and putting an "ie" at the end to feminize it. SHE was certainly vintage! (1881-1981). :)

Cobden

Practically Family
I know it was a fashion during the 1910's in the UK to do that - usually a play on the girls actual name, e.g. Robert->Bobbie. Think it lasted until the 20's

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Dorcas was a biblical character -- the sort of name that was common when people named their kids after biblical characters instead of pop-culture figures.

I once knew a family who went in for biblical names in a big way. Somewhere out there there's a pair of now-middle-aged twins named Jehu and Jonadab. At least they didn't name their daughter "Jezebel."

Ok, so that intrigued me and I looked up "Dorcas." The name was the Greek translation of a name from a middle eastern language, "Tabitha," which meant "Gazelle." There is actually a Dorcas Society, usually made up of church women who do charitable act, as I believe Biblical Dorcas did charitable works, such as sewing coats and garments for the poor after she was raised from the dead, by Peter. Love learning new things!

Marla

A-List Customer
Evelyn, Vivian & Kim come to mind.

Marion, Kelly, Ashley, Francis, Leslie ....

Thank you, lolly and rue. The name Evelyn reminds me of how the writer Evelyn Waugh and his fiancee were called "He-Evelyn" and "She-Evelyn" by their friends. Though I doubt such a situation could occur today. The name is now obscure for both sexes.

Last edited:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Does anyone have examples of gender-neutral vintage first names? Almost all of the names mentioned so far are gender-specific, so I'm wondering if they exist.

Thank you, lolly and rue. The name Evelyn reminds me of how the writer Evelyn Waugh and his fiancee were called "He-Evelyn" and "She-Evelyn" by their friends. Though I doubt such a situation could occur today. The name is now obscure for both sexes.

I love that story!

Also Shirley - such a feminine name now, but in Charlotte Brontë's Shirley they make the point that she was given a masculine name!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
We named our son Judge. According to the Social Security Administration here in the US, the name Judge hit its peak in the 1890s, which is when my great uncle Judge was born.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
That's interesting, as here in the Uk, Charlie is a very popular boys name, as indeed are lots of vintage names, they seem to have had a renaissance. My hairdressers kids are called Betty, Frank and Callaghan.

Marmaduke, Edwin, Crispin, Peregrine, Ronald and Bonnie are pretty rare for kids to be called these days in my neck of the woods! (My son's nickname is Marmaduke).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran