Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Hair shades

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I am due to touch up my hair color, and was thinking of trying a different (but not too extreme) shade. I do my own color and usually use Miss Clariol or Hydrience. My natural color is a reddish blonde, and I like the warmer shades. What shades were popular in the "Golden Era"?

magneto

Practically Family
I really think you can't go wrong with your own natural color (which sounds very nice)...due to the, er, primitiveness of dye methods hair dyeing often resulted in extreme colors rarely found in nature (cue Jean Harlow).

Getting your hair "blondined" with a home product called "Golden Glint" was very popular in the 30s. I'm assuming it just imparted a blonde cast to hair.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
If you do decide to dye your hair at home, I would keep sticking to Clairol...I've tried the other brands and have not cared for them at all, especially Revlon. Blond was very popular and there were a lot of red head stars as well. Jitterbug's always great with this kind of stuff, along with posting photos (which for people like me, is a must since I'm more of the visual type!)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Thanks everyone for the advice on colors.

Honey Doll - I had never tried Feria before, but after your recommendation, I checked out the website and found a color (close to my natural) that I absolutely loved. It is called Caramel Kiss and what I especially like is the special conditioner so blond's don't get brassy.

Thanks again:) :)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
RetroMom said:
Thanks everyone for the advice on colors.

Honey Doll - I had never tried Feria before, but after your recommendation, I checked out the website and found a color (close to my natural) that I absolutely loved. It is called Caramel Kiss and what I especially like is the special conditioner so blond's don't get brassy.

Thanks again:) :)

i reallllllly like Feria. I used to get my hair done professionally and honestly like my Feria results better! After kiddos too it was just to hard to sit in the salon waiting for the hair color to take ;)

Honey Doll

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I would think just about anything would be pretty historically correct, as long as you avoid big chunky blonde highlights, or bright purple.

I color my hair at home and have since I started going gray. I get as close to my natural color as I can, which is a medium auburn color. I really like L'Oreal Preference, and Garnier Nutrisse. I've never had any problems.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Don't forget the famous blue rinse for gray-haired (blue-haired lol ) ladies. I know my grandmother used to use one, but I don't see too many old-timers doing it anymore.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Sweet Leilani said:
Don't forget the famous blue rinse for gray-haired (blue-haired lol ) ladies. I know my grandmother used to use one, but I don't see too many old-timers doing it anymore.

In my neck of the woods they prefer hues of savagely unnatural butterscotch or bright lemon, which I prefer on a Golden Age automobile. lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ok, speaking of coloring, I'm needing (or wanting ;) ) to go back to my natural hair color which is a dark brown (as you can see from my picture it's light red), is it easier going darker or lighter? also....how long do you have to wait until you can dye it again? my major concern is getting my hair damaged.

Brooksie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
ok, speaking of coloring, I'm needing (or wanting ;) ) to go back to my natural hair color which is a dark brown (as you can see from my picture it's light red), is it easier going darker or lighter? also....how long do you have to wait until you can dye it again? my major concern is getting my hair damaged.

I am a lisenced cosmetolgist since 1988 and I did hair for 9 years...and from knowledge and experience it is far easier and less damaging to go darker that it is to go lighter because when you go lighter you are actually lightening the pigment with harsh chemicals-bleach or highlift tints or tints with peroxide.

I would really recomend going to a salon for your color because they might need to use a filler on your hair which is a treatment that involves filling up your cuticle with pigment because it had been stripped when it had been lightened and then they apply the color over this (filler) and this will give something for the color to hold onto so it will not just rinse out in a week or less which can happen even if you are using a permanant color. They can also give you a quality deep conditioning treatment if your hair is damaged.

For any kind of corrective color service I highly recomend going to a salon, doing a tint at home is fine but if you are trying to correct something it can get a little tricky...when we color our hair at home we grab a box and mix the colors and put it on and let it process which is fine if you are just coloring but if you are correcting the stylist will possibly mix a few colors together because our natural pigments are a combination of colors and tones and in order to cut or counteract unwanted tones in your case it would be reds the stylist will know exactly what to mix to help out with this.

Brooksie

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
And don't forget Myrna Loy's lovely (and natural!) coppery red hue!!

loy-color.jpg

:D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
In the 1930s platinum blonde, a la Jean Harlow, was the blonde of choice.

In the 1940s, more golden hues, a la Betty Grable, came into vogue.

I have a couple of WWII hair magazines, and they have advertisements for a whole host of hair tints (which were suggested as a good way to increase your money intake :))

I have my hair highlighted with a full weave. I'm a natural blonde (a true platinum until age 20), but my hair has gradually darkened into a champage color. The weave brings it back to a soft, light blonde color.

I was born with strawberry locks, so someday I want to go red for the fun of it :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
My grandma said everyone in our family colored their hair with henna in the 40's. One of the ladies in our family was a hairdresser so she'd do everyone's hair. Too bad I didn't know her so I could rack her brain for hair tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy