Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage hat form question

Local antique store has a wooden 7 3/8 hat form. I took the pieces apart and examined them - it appears to be in excellent shape (and the dome was a dead match for the 7 3/8 I happened to be wearing).

I'm wondering what is the most those of you who have them, or would consider buying them, would pay for it?

I have no intent of buying it - I could use it to fix up some felts I've found, but am not (yet!) into hats seriously enough to really justify the price. At $70, I suspect it's overpriced (and that's with a 10% discount). I'm curious for a ballpark figure from experts who'd know what it should reasonably go for.

Thanks,

PS Did not look at the Bay of E for pricing ranges...figured you guys would know better.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a reasonable price. You said you took the pieces apart, so it sounds like they're selling both the crown block and the brim flange for $70. For that size, that's a good price, but it would also depend on other factors, such as height of the crown block and style, which are what the other numbers on the bottom represent. Same thing with the flange, brim width and style numbers are relevant as to just how much of a good deal it is.

I've paid over $100 just for a crown block alone.

Brad

Thanks, Brad. It is both block and flange. The flange had a really tight fit on the block; took me about 30 seconds of wiggling it back and forth to get it off. I don't know if that's how they're supposed to be or what. Anyway, the block is a plain dome shape, just like an open crown hat.

Now I'm curious about its particulars; will stop in next week to see if I can figure out if I can decipher the other numbers on it.

And I did look at eebay - there are 2 on there now much like it for about that price, but this one is in better shape than either, with overall darker wood (looks almost like it was deeply oiled at one time) and few scuffs. Thank you again!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Flatch said:
Anyway, the block is a plain dome shape, just like an open crown hat.

Now I'm curious about its particulars; will stop in next week to see if I can figure out if I can decipher the other numbers on it.

There is no such thing as a plain dome shape. There'll all different, and the right 'plain dome shape' will shape your hats exactly the way you want them. Check out those numbers and get back to us.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Here's mine - 7 1/4 block and flange for $32. I've gotten a lot of use out of each. I think I got lucky in that the block is exactly the size I needed, and exactly the crown shape I prefer. I was expecting to have to buy 3-4 blocks before I found just what I wanted.

ebay block and flange

dbcf_1_sbl.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
30 is the style number. Each #30 block from that particular manufacturer would yield the same style crown, regardless of size. The various manufacturers often times used the same block numbers as their competitors, and while being roughly similar, they weren't exact matches.

This is what makes it maddening when trying to buy hat blocks on eBay. All my various #52 blocks are close to each other, but not quite the same. Sizing is a problem too, as I have a size 7 #52 block that is larger in circumference than a 7 1/8 #52 block I have! I don't think one is U.K. block, either. eBay is quite the crapshoot.

That #30 block is very interesting. That shape doesn't come up too often. I'd love to see how a hat turns out on it.

Brad

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
30 is the style number. Each #30 block from that particular manufacturer would yield the same style crown, regardless of size. The various manufacturers often times used the same block numbers as their competitors, and while being roughly similar, they weren't exact matches.

This is what makes it maddening when trying to buy hat blocks on eBay. All my various #52 blocks are close to each other, but not quite the same. Sizing is a problem too, as I have a size 7 #52 block that is larger in circumference than a 7 1/8 #52 block I have! I don't think one is U.K. block, either. eBay is quite the crapshoot.

That #30 block is very interesting. That shape doesn't come up too often. I'd love to see how a hat turns out on it.

Brad

I'm sure that the numbers and corresponding shapes have been cataloged over the years but I sure can't seem to find anything on the web.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:

Brad

I've blocked three hats with it - a size 7 Stetson, a 7 3/8 short-crown hat with some taper, and a 7 1/4 Knox twenty. Results for the first two were fairly drastic for obvious reasons, but the Knox twenty was a perfect fit before and after. Here are before and after pics of the Knox - unfortunately, I didn't get unbashed pics before blocking:

(Thanks Tony, for all the tips on blocking)

Knox20Side.jpg

Knox20SideUnB.jpg

Knox20Front.jpg

Knox20FrontUnB.jpg

Went back and checked out the hat block. It has the numbers 6 and 55 on it. I assume the 55 is that company's crown style, the exact meaning of which is probably now unknown.

Looking at your photo, your block's top is noticeably more angled than this one's is; it has a pretty well rounded top, which is why I called it a plain dome shape, since that's pretty much what it looks like. Yours clearly isn't.

Thank you all again for your interest and expertise on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner