Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

Masamunect

New in Town
John in Covina said:
Knob Creek!
MG Shoot versus the Bourbon of the same name.

Oh! I got to shoot a Gattleling Gun in 45-70 a while back at Raauhaaugges or how ever you spell it in Norco many moons ago 10 rounds hitting some steel plate down range. Bang thunk bang thunk bank thunk etc. !!!

Ooo cool! Was it gravity fed or belt?

Anyways, I got to try my Nagant revolver out today on a confounded computing device. (Old Packard Bell)

It went fairly well, the metal on that thing was pretty thick, some of the bullets didn't go through.

warbird

One Too Many
carebear said:
Speaking from experience. Once you have a nice, legal, working machinegun (or cannon, or flamethrower) in your hands with a safe, legal place to shoot it, you will.

If you ever get to Tennessee in April or October.

http://machinegunshoot.com/shootinfo.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixestential/sets/72157600112250965/

I have attended that shoot several times. I used to own a Thompson chopper. It was fun, but expensive, to shoot.

I also attended several times a shoot out in Colorado sponsored by Rocky Mountain Gun Owners. BIG fun!

warbird

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Definitely Garrand. And yes, the M-14 is a lot of fun, too. Great as a single shot, but on full automatic, which they demo-ed for us just once, the rifle just jumps violently up and to the right, spraying bullets in all directions. Not very effective on full automatic.

You are correct. Anyone who ever fired a fully auto version would concur. 3 round bursts to me would be optimal.

I much prefer the 14 to the Garand for the same reason. I hate those clips and the weight. Not to say I don't appreciate the Garand for its durability and the caliber. The M1 carbine is a fun shoot, but way underpowered. Iv'e had a ton of those. Used to buy them, redo the original stocks and resell em.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pistol shooting or any other is just plain fun. There's no need to haul in sociological issues to it or any other passtime that people enjoy. I don't kill people any more but still enjoy going to an indoor range with my daughters. My oldest is deadly with her .357 and the youngest has a .38 for punching holes in paper and protection.

I have many pistols, I don't know exactly how many, but shoot them on occassion, though not as often as I'd like.

As for the caliber debate a cop put it to me this way- imagine yourself in a room. 6 knifeweilding assailants will pass through the door every 15 seconds. You have 6 rounds. Would you rather have a .45 proven manstopper or something else like a 9mm?:)

Twitch said:
As for the caliber debate a cop put it to me this way- imagine yourself in a room. 6 knifeweilding assailants will pass through the door every 15 seconds. You have 6 rounds. Would you rather have a .45 proven manstopper or something else like a 9mm?:)

Well, sir, I'd rather have a .44 Magnum, .50 Action Express, .50GI or some other big-game round, but for street/carry use, I'm a member of the Cult of St. John Moses.

Well put! May I lift that for my own use?

Also, the M3 Carbine was an improved M2.

Re tribursts, I'm with Cooper. Accuracy is single, suppressive full-auto. A 3-round burst's just a waste of 2 bullets that could be better used for aimed shots.

Just my opinion...

Jovan

Suspended
I... don't think you want to use anything like .50AE for self defence.

The officers in my town are currently using .40SW USPs. Good guns. I think they had the Glock 17 before.

Jovan said:
I... don't think you want to use anything like .50AE for self defence.

Like I said, this is "When you absolutely HAVE to drop the SOB RIGHT NOW!", assuming the threats are kicking MY door in...

Of course, if nobody's on the other side of that wall, I'd really prefer 6 of 12ga #2-#4 buck through a trenchgun, but...

For carry, like I said, .45ACP or .50GI (once it matures and the price comes down)--the latter being a 1911 with a half-inch bore...:eek:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
.44 Mag and other high speed calibers go through people and often cause suprisingly little immediate damage not to mention the going through the wall and you neighbors wall. The .45 is slow and devestating. I opt for a .44 special with a lower powder charge in lieu of the .45 ACP. That is what I have in the nightstand in my S&W .44 magnum Mountain Gun. The .45 is in the home office desk with Hydrashok HPs.

The shotgun myth is overrated too. At room-size distances there is virtually no spread and you have to aim. Long arms in a room scenario are too unweildy.

Twitch said:
.44 Mag and other high speed calibers go through people and often cause suprisingly little immediate damage not to mention the going through the wall and you neighbors wall.
the hollow point helps unload the energy in the target. I have the ammo can't think of the name where it is a copper case and #8 bird shot suspended in epoxy. These will slow down most PCP crazed junkies but are non-lethal after passing thru a home wall. 2 of those followed by a variety of top name hollow points then ball for penetrating the car as my would be assalant tries to get away.

Twitch said:
The shotgun myth is overrated too. At room-size distances there is virtually no spread and you have to aim. Long arms in a room scenario are too unweildy.
OO or #4 buck works well but even bird shot will do the job at home. (And yes i have seen the autopsy photos.) Clearing any building even a home is a learned technique and long arms or pistols, it is too easy to walk into danger trying to clear your own home without training. The thing is that people think you don't have to aim with a shotgun while nothing can be further from the truth. Eight to nine 38 cal balls entering ones body can just ruin your whole day.

John in Covina said:
the hollow point helps unload the energy in the target. I have the ammo can't think of the name where it is a copper case and #8 bird shot suspended in epoxy. These will slow down most PCP crazed junkies but are non-lethal after passing thru a home wall. 2 of those followed by a variety of top name hollow points then ball for penetrating the car as my would be assalant try to get away.

Glaser "Safety Slugs", IIRC, John. Nice idea, but get real expensive to test for compatibility with your iron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80