Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Heat?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My brother has our father's 1931 vintage Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge shotgun. He was in the skeet club in high school. My brother says the comment on this gun was that it's not a good cheap gun, it's a cheap good gun. I think skeet and trap shooting are very vintagey activities, somehow.
When I was in Marine Corps bootcamp in 1966 our standard issue weapon was the M-14. This was just before the M-16 came in. The M-14 was a very serviceable weapon, with strengths and weaknesses. I learned to operate it pretty competently. But in ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) they gave us old WWII vintage M-1's. We were all used to the big 20 round magazines on the M-14, and couldn't deal with the m-1's little clips. Our company commander grabbed one from a recruit's hand and loped through the "John Wayne course" in seconds. making that M-1 absolutely sing. We gave it a try and quickly got the hang of it. I must say, handling the M-1, for those short few weeks, became a real pleasure. It's just an elegant old rifle, a real work of art. You really felt like a rifleman carrying it.

Jovan

Suspended
Are you speaking of the M1 Garand or M1 Carbine? It's confusing when like three WWII weapons shared the M1-M1A1 designation (including the military-contracted Thompson Submachine Gun).

dhermann1 said:
The M-14 was a very serviceable weapon, with strengths and weaknesses. I learned to operate it pretty competently. But in ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) they gave us old WWII vintage M-1's. We were all used to the big 20 round magazines on the M-14, and couldn't deal with the m-1's little clips. Our company commander grabbed one from a recruit's hand and loped through the "John Wayne course" in seconds. making that M-1 absolutely sing. We gave it a try and quickly got the hang of it. I must say, handling the M-1, for those short few weeks, became a real pleasure. It's just an elegant old rifle, a real work of art. You really felt like a rifleman carrying it.
Beretta made a precursor to the M14 out of M1 Garands called the BM59 it was basically an upgranded M1 that took a 20 round magazine.

I have a DCM M1 that is a dream to shoot. I need to reset the rear sight though, it sort of disassembled itself the last time out shooting. Re-zero time.

The M14 is also fun, I have a friend that has a Springfield Armory regular type and it is a hoot.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
Are you speaking of the M1 Garand or M1 Carbine? It's confusing when like three WWII weapons shared the M1-M1A1 designation (including the military-contracted Thompson Submachine Gun).

Based on this
You really felt like a rifleman carrying it.
I'm betting the Garand.

Jovan

Suspended
Unfortunately, almost all M14s have the fun taken out of them now, a.k.a. the automatic setting removed. I saw a couple shoot full auto in the movie Face/Off though. (Perhaps the same gun in different shots?)

Masamunect

New in Town
A thompson, more specifically, a 1928 Chicago Typewriter.
But really, any thompson would do.

I do own a Browning A-5 model. It's a Remington manufacture from year unknown. But looks very similar to the browning. Look for yourself!

A saturday night special would be an excellent choice, but so would a 1911.

A revolver dubbed the "Highway Patrolman" would be a nice one. Especially in 38 super

As for my vintage heat? Well, for the sake of my Abnormality mine would be this, an 1895 Nagant revolver.

Jovan

Suspended
It's interesting to note that the military Thompsons look quite similar to the early model made by Thompson themselves. They both lacked the characteristic Cutts' (?) compensator that later models featured.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I really, really would like was 8 Browning machine guns.
Mounted closely together 4 + 4.
It would look someting like this one in front:

bbmf3ship640_tcm15-26500.jpg

I would propably never fire them, but I would have myself a blody great aeroplane.:D

carebear

Spitfire said:
The only thing I really, really would like was 8 Browning machine guns.
Mounted closely together 4 + 4.
It would look someting like this one in front:

bbmf3ship640_tcm15-26500.jpg

I would propably never fire them, but I would have myself a blody great aeroplane.:D

Speaking from experience. Once you have a nice, legal, working machinegun (or cannon, or flamethrower) in your hands with a safe, legal place to shoot it, you will.

If you ever get to Tennessee in April or October.

http://machinegunshoot.com/shootinfo.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixestential/sets/72157600112250965/

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Speaking from experience. Once you have a nice, legal, working machinegun (or cannon, or flamethrower) in your hands with a safe, legal place to shoot it, you will.

If you ever get to Tennessee in April or October.

http://machinegunshoot.com/shootinfo.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pixestential/sets/72157600112250965/

:D But Carebear, I did fire both a Garand Rifle AND a machinegun (never a flamethrower though) back then, when I was in the service. Maybe I have just grown out of it. I do not find it very apealing anymore. Whereas flying???:D

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Masamunect said:
A revolver dubbed the "Highway Patrolman" would be a nice one. Especially in 38 super

The Highway Patrolman (AKA Model 28) was a .357 Magnum (AKA Model 27) that wasn't polished as well. They postdate the Golden Era, being introduced in the mid 1950s. I have had 2 of them, and regret selling the first one.

Masamunect

New in Town
plain old dave said:
The Highway Patrolman (AKA Model 28) was a .357 Magnum (AKA Model 27) that wasn't polished as well. They postdate the Golden Era, being introduced in the mid 1950s. I have had 2 of them, and regret selling the first one.

I thought they came in 38 special as well. Oh well, yes John I did mean special I was very tired.

So far I've only made a mass genocide of pop cans bottles and milk jugs. :D

carebear

Jovan said:
Killing people generally isn't pleasurable to do.

Who's talking about killing people? I was talking about shooting for fun.

The links were to Knob Creek Range, which hosts a twice-yearly machinegun (and cannon, and flamethrower) shoot for private owners. All sorts of vintage weapons show up there, from Gatling guns to pack howitzers.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Definitely Garrand. And yes, the M-14 is a lot of fun, too. Great as a single shot, but on full automatic, which they demo-ed for us just once, the rifle just jumps violently up and to the right, spraying bullets in all directions. Not very effective on full automatic.

Machine Gun Shoot

I have been to the Soldier of Fortune Convention's Machine Gun Shoot at the range outside of Las Vegas several times and it is an awesome demonstration. They start with manufacutures demos and then go thru several dozen light medium and heavy machine guns brought by collectors.
Lots of explosions too.

Afterwards if you have the cash there are rentals of some of the MG's.

Also You can rent a submachine gun at some of the gun stores in Vegas. That's where I have shot the H&K MP5, a silenced full auto MAC10 in 45ACP and a really neat Steyr machine pistole in 9mm.

If you are there the weekend of the Convention you can get tix for the Shoot and the gunshow plus the gun stores are usually running some great shooting competitions. Also the 3 Gun Shoot is well worth watching. I saw an all girl team run thru one of the events and cleaned the clocks of a number of men's teams.

Full Auto is a big wow!

Masamunect

New in Town
I assume you've heard of Knob Creek.

But anyways... Around here about every September there's a machinegun shoot where you can shoot by the mag. And ride a tank I believe.

Anyways in one article I saw one of my favorite Machine Guns... a Machinengewehr-42 or MG-42. They're just so cool looking!

Second I saw in fact, right behind it was a Ma Deuce, talk about a kid in a candy store! :D

Knob Creek!
MG Shoot versus the Bourbon of the same name.

Oh! I got to shoot a Gattleling Gun in 45-70 a while back at Raauhaaugges or how ever you spell it in Norco many moons ago 10 rounds hitting some steel plate down range. Bang thunk bang thunk bank thunk etc. !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart