Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-Inspired clothing lines

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Can I convince you to make a pair for me, too? I'm a bit worried about the sizing over at Vivien's; I heard they run small and they are a bit far away for easy returns ;)

They run small and short! I tried them on in a 12 and they were too small to do up and flapped about 3 inches above my foot! She will custom do them but for more money. Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: again!

decodoll

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
They run small and short! I tried them on in a 12 and they were too small to do up and flapped about 3 inches above my foot! She will custom do them but for more money. Sorry for the :eek:fftopic: again!

As I recently got another copy of this pattern in a lot one size up from the one I had, I set out over the weekend to trace the new one. After looking it over, I realized there are actually two versions of this pattern. I have both now. One came out in 1940 and looks like the picture on the envelope. A revised version came out after the war started. However, they only did a new style drawing for the instruction sheet, not the front of the envelope. The revised pattern does not have the blouse with the hood, removes the cuffs from the trousers and has a slightly narrower pant leg. All of these changes, of course, being in accordance with the new restrictions put in place to conserve fabric.

Due to the fact that the pants she is selling don't have the cuffs that are in the illustration, I'm guessing she is using the revised version. If she's doing them directly from the pattern without any alterations, they will be short if you are over about 5'4" tall. When I traced my pattern, I added two inches to the length. I'm making them in denim and will be wearing them with flat shoes, so I went for a 31" inseam. I'd add a little more if I were making them to wear with heels.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
My heart belongs to Revamp. I was surprised by how nicely made my Eva dress was, and I get more compliments and questions about that dress than anything else in my wardrobe. It's also extremely flattering on me.

But the best part is their customer service. I bought the Eva in XS from them and it fit just fine except right around the ribcage. The underbust was about 1.5" too small and wouldn't close. (I evidently have a disproportionately large ribcage for my size.) I emailed to ask if I should go up to a size S, or if I should go for a different dress entirely. But when I emailed she said she'd just make a new one with a little more room in the underbust, and I only had to pay for shipping the new dress to me when it was finished. Now I'm just trying to decide what else to buy from them! ^_^ I love so much of it!

Daddyo's also has wonderful customer service and their return policy is fabulous. I feel totally safe buying anything from them.

BV

(Customer service is a big deal for me. I'm not going back to another vintage-inspired line because the dress was cute in the picture but fit really weirdly, they have a *miserable* return policy, the dress showed up with a price tag that listed the price as half what they'd charged me and the dress had a large oil spot on the front of it. Then when I emailed about the spot one of the owners copped a really nasty attitude and then just stopped emailing me, and I was trying to be really polite and solicitous since I knew they didn't allow returns but figured they might let me exchange it because of the spot.)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BettyValentine said:
My heart belongs to Revamp. I was surprised by how nicely made my Eva dress was, and I get more compliments and questions about that dress than anything else in my wardrobe. It's also extremely flattering on me.

But the best part is their customer service. I bought the Eva in XS from them and it fit just fine except right around the ribcage. The underbust was about 1.5" too small and wouldn't close. (I evidently have a disproportionately large ribcage for my size.) I emailed to ask if I should go up to a size S, or if I should go for a different dress entirely. But when I emailed she said she'd just make a new one with a little more room in the underbust, and I only had to pay for shipping the new dress to me when it was finished. Now I'm just trying to decide what else to buy from them! ^_^ I love so much of it!
I have bought a few outfits from ReVamp, and am very happy with the customer service that they have.
Hemingway Jones wanted a Hollywood Jacket, but couldn't find one he liked that was vintage. He spoke directly with the seamstress there (wish I could remember her name) and together they worked out a plan to make the jacket exactly the way he wanted. He picked out the fabric, mailed it to her, and she made the jacket for him. It is a beautifully made jacket, and it was done so quickly. She is such a sweet woman, and willing to do anything, and make just about anything. So, although she has a lot of clothes on her site. If there is something you really want, just give her a call, she'll custom make it for you.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Here's a link that I've been looking at for a while now, but never actually bought anything. But, they have some very pretty evening gowns that are vintage inspired, from all different eras. Quite a few 30's style glamour gowns. Wish I had an excuse to buy one
http://vintagestyleclothing.com/index.html

(Many thanks to Caledonia for showing me, at long last, how to bring up the quotes I am trying to refer to!!): Anyway, Daisy, I just wanted to tell you how I grateful I am to you for sharing this website! It's wonderful!!! Such lovely clothing!--Etienne

Daisy Buchanan

Etienne said:
(Many thanks to Caledonia for showing me, at long last, how to bring up the quotes I am trying to refer to!!): Anyway, Daisy, I just wanted to tell you how I grateful I am to you for sharing this website! It's wonderful!!! Such lovely clothing!--Etienne
You're very welcome! I was very surprised at the beautiful gowns they have.
A few weeks ago, Tim and I were on holiday, and we went into this little dress shop. They sold the Nataya dresses there, and I was glad to see them in person. They are quite beautiful, and so different than the hum drum dresses that you typically see in stores. They are also of good quality. I have searched the web for this brand, and it seems that the prices for them are the same at different stores. I just chose this site because they have such a huge selection of different styles.
I think this would be a great site to keep in mind for when I get married. Looks like a they have a great selection of gowns that would be nice for bridesmaids. Some of the prices are high, but most are within reason, for gowns.

Daisy Buchanan

Forgot to add, and I've been meaning to write this for some time now, Bebe this past summer had some very cute pencil skirts, halter tops, and very adorable polka dot blouses. The clothes were more 50's, but so very cute.
Check out their sale page, all the summer stuff is there now, which makes it even better. As a note, it seems to me that this brand runs very small. I had to get a size bigger than I normally take. Their inseams are also really long, so if you're short like me, expect to need pant hemmed.
http://www.bebe.com/gp/node/n/15382841/002-2393043-8873602?ie=UTF8&bbBrand=core

jonniangel

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
Here's a link that I've been looking at for a while now, but never actually bought anything. But, they have some very pretty evening gowns that are vintage inspired, from all different eras. Quite a few 30's style glamour gowns. Wish I had an excuse to buy one
http://vintagestyleclothing.com/index.html

Another site with most of the same dresses, and often better prices, is

http://store.romanticthreads.com/

I've bought 2 or 3 Nataya dresses from here and love them. In fact, the dress I'm wearing in my avatar is one of them.

Jonni

Daisy Buchanan

jonniangel said:
Another site with most of the same dresses, and often better prices, is

http://store.romanticthreads.com/

I've bought 2 or 3 Nataya dresses from here and love them. In fact, the dress I'm wearing in my avatar is one of them.

Jonni

Thanks for the link, it's great. I have one of the Nataya dresses, and it's so comfortable. Would love to get a few more, so it's nice to find them a little less expensive.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
Occassionally, and I do mean occassionally Forever XXI will have vintage styled dresses, the fabric is questionable, but when it comes to inexpensive... under $40 and sometimes under $30.

http://www.forever21.com/category.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=Dresses&Page=1

I actually found two adorable shirtdresses and a cute secretary style blouse at the Forever 21 store in my local mall. Boy was I shocked! My younger sister dragged me in there to help her with school shopping, and I couldn't believe that they had some vintage inspired stuff.
Again, the quality is not the greatest, but at under $25 for a dress, I certainly don't mind. In fact, I was pleased to find something that is cheap enough that I don't have to worry about my toddler destroying it while I run around with him all day (which is my worry about wearing actual vintage or more expensive items.)

Jessica

Daisy Buchanan

Question about vintage-inspired brand

I found a very pretty, Edwardian inspired dress about a month ago in a small shop on Cape Cod. The brand is "First Vision by Shirin". It a a full length white dress. The 2 under layers are cotton, the top layer is chiffon (I think). The first layer is the longest and has embroidery at the hem, the top layer is also embroidered. It has flutter sleeves and ties at the back. It is really comfortable and pretty all in one. It is the closest to an Edwardian dress that I have ever found.
I've done searches on line for the brand, but can't find anyone who sells it or anything about the designer. I was hoping to find another dress like this one, in a darker color for a trip to Italy in the fall. It would also make a pretty outfit for walking the decks of The Queen Mary. I like to get dressed up to fly, and I thought this dress, being so comfortable, would be a great flying outfit. But, I really don't want to wear white. It's after Labor day, the weather will be much cooler, and knowing me I'll arrive in Italy with some sort of spill after such a long trip.
Has anyone ever heard of or seen any dresses by this maker? If so, where? I have searched ebay, yahoo and google. Nothing useful comes up. I know Nataya makes very pretty vintage style dresses like this, but this brand was half the price, and I actually like the fit of this brand a little better.
Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Daisy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24