Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage jacket Appraisal Service coming Soon!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Appraisal:

There will be a nominal fee of $25 for my appraisal . Each appraisal will include, when possible, detailed background on the jacket; maker, style, date of manufacture, rarity, desirability. For value I will provide, as available, comparative sales and my own estimation of value.

Locater service:

If you are looking to buy a jacket, I will aid in providing detailed information/consultation about the jacket you are seeking. The Fee for this service; to be determined.

Consignments:

I will assist in selling your jacket. After the initial appraisal we will arrive at a selling price. My fee: to be determined.

Jackets from my collection:

I will soon be offering more jackets from my collection for sale. Each will include a certificate of authenticity as possible. Each jacket will be priced and open for offers.

I will post the jackets here, on instagram, and my youtube channel for your inspection.

Buying Jackets:

I'm always buying jackets, if you have something of interest let me know. Please include your asking price. If not I can not respond.

I will be doing a formal opening soon. Stay tuned.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Appraisal:

There will be a nominal fee of $25 for my appraisal . Each appraisal will include, when possible, detailed background on the jacket; maker, style, date of manufacture, rarity, desirability. For value I will provide, as available, comparative sales and my own estimation of value.

Locater service:

If you are looking to buy a jacket, I will aid in providing detailed information/consultation about the jacket you are seeking. The Fee for this service; to be determined.

Consignments:

I will assist in selling your jacket. After the initial appraisal we will arrive at a selling price. My fee: to be determined.

Jackets from my collection:

I will soon be offering more jackets from my collection for sale. Each will include a certificate of authenticity as possible. Each jacket will be priced and open for offers.

I will post the jackets here, on instagram, and my youtube channel for your inspection.

Buying Jackets:

I'm always buying jackets, if you have something of interest let me know. Please include your asking price. If not I can not respond.

I will be doing a formal opening soon. Stay tuned.
Absolutely brilliant use of your knowledge:)

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. I have now opened for business today, sending out my first billing statement this afternoon for an appraisal!

Gift certificates, yes. great idea.

Easy payment plan on jackets. I often forget to add that and It has been used. I don't want lack of money to influence your purchase! I understand priority too.

Please be patient and understanding of my staff and I during our construction. I am now undertaking the task of cataloging, organizing, measuring, photographing my entire collection, present and past, along with a Voluminous archieve of photos of jackets harvested through the years.

Yes, all this and more fun, facts are being assembled into several volumes for you enjoyment, complete with illustrations and the latest information.

I have several Titles in mind.

Collectors guide to affordable Vintage Leather Jackets

Yes, affordable, not about all the stuff in collections that are repeated in all the Picture Books, but down to earth information, with the key words; affordable and available.

Whats what and whats not. All in one handy volume! and free appraisals and consultations with each purchase.

While you are waiting for the prices, I will get together a collection of what is coming, a short slide video of jackets sold. I've sold several hundred. This will give you a preview of things to come. Just a preview. the pricing will come, that isn't really too hard.

This video will demonstrate the mountain I am climbing or climbing down from. This will take time.

This pile is probably 40 total with all on board. No BS in the pile. This includes my Ralphs-Pugh collection of about 7 jackets, numerous California Sportswear jackets, currently 3 Bucos, several early Hercules, Sportclads, Roughwear, Windwards, horsehide/steerhide/goatskin more.

I have another pile of just goatskin half-belts mostly from the Golden years plus other horsehide half-belts from the 30s, 40s. Lot of grail level jackets.

I have a small but nice collection of suedes. A few deerskins, pony hides, that will be cataloged as well.

some may be skeptical or believe I'm being insincere, or tongue in cheek, or just plain crazy. I assure you I'm not any of that at all, though I understand your skepticism.

Here is the work at hand;

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
Brilliant, Terry! I will be interested in using each of your services mentioned, and am already in the queue for the e-book. Can't wait for that!

Good luck, and thanks for sharing.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
What happened to the spirit of TFL, why is exchanging knowledge on leather jackets and their makers suddenly a business model?

For those who are seeking info on pricing, deals, makers or any other question one might have about outerwear, check out one of the many great threads from the outerwear and workwear section.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/finds-and-deals-leather-jacket-edition.96976/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer-about-outerwear.102916/

N.b. those threads are free of charge.

Al 916

One Too Many
What happened to the spirit of TFL, why is exchanging knowledge on leather jackets and their makers suddenly a business model?

For those who are seeking info on pricing, deals, makers or any other question one might have about outerwear, check out one of the many great threads from the outerwear and workwear section.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/finds-and-deals-leather-jacket-edition.96976/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/ask-a-question-get-an-answer-about-outerwear.102916/

N.b. those threads are free of charge.

There is a chance I have misunderstood your post, I hope so.

If not...

I'm not one for keeping schtum, nor am I one for indulging in flame wars, so just my single thought on this.

For the service Terry is offering I think I would happily pay what is a rather paltry sum.

With age I have learnt (and am still learning) not to judge people. I have thought all day on whether I should write this.

In my opinion this single post of yours (amongst all the other great ones) does you a disservice.

I am saddened.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
A book seems like a great conclusion to a long-lived hobby and a valuable record of otherwise to be forgotten times, styles and knowledge.

I am not selling you any jackets but I do still have a late 40s hip-length Windward somewhere that I can gift you at cost of shipping to include in your book or just document for interest‘s sake before you sell it on, if you are interested that is.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
There is a chance I have misunderstood your post, I hope so.

If not...

I'm not one for keeping schtum, nor am I one for indulging in flame wars, so just my single thought on this.

For the service Terry is offering I think I would happily pay what is a rather paltry sum.

With age I have learnt (and am still learning) not to judge people. I have thought all day on whether I should write this.

In my opinion this single post of yours (amongst all the other great ones) does you a disservice.

I am saddened.

Of course this is just my personal view, you don't have to agree with me.

I learned everything there is to know about jackets from other forum members who shared their knowledge in one of the many threads. I also asked questions to members privately, about fit, materials, the price of a jacket listed on eBay, what have you. Many of them replied by writing lengthy DM's, educating me about everything I wanted to know about jackets.

Now that I know a thing or two about jackets people send me DM's, here on tfl or on Instagram, asking advice about some maker, leather choices, an eBay listing, their Field leathers fit jacket, value etc. And even though it takes (a lot of) time to answer everyone, I happily share my knowledge with everyone because I know how valuable that knowledge was to me when I was about to buy my first vintage jacket.

Also, people have sent me DM's pointing me to listings of vintage grails that they think I would be interested in. I own my mint condition horsehide Buco j24 just because of that. Listed in Europe for under $1k. Other members have sent me vintage zippers, because they thought I could use them for one of my projects. Free of charge, they wouldn't even allow me to pay for shipping! Not to forget those members who are always willing to proxy for me when I'm interested in a jacket that's listed in the USA. Each and every time they put their valuable time and effort into getting the jackets packed and shipped to me. Free of charge. Without those members I wouldn't be in this hobby.

Considering the above, which I have experienced to be the spirit of tfl, I find it weird to turn knowledge sharing amongst tfl members into a business model.

Edit: my comment was not directed at charging money for a book. That's a different story.

Mich486

One Too Many
Terry has already shared way more than many of us combined for free on this forum… I’m not sure what you are getting at Marc. It seems equivalent to comment on somebody’s else price in a classifieds thread. Let the man sell his services if he wants without interfering, nobody is forced to buy.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would buy your book. Maybe it should be a Taubers or Ralph Pugh on the cover but I am lazy just slapped on the first jacket photo from your vintage thread. Peters not too shabby either.

tmitchell book.jpg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
I will dispense with any editorial commentary on @tmitchell59 's entrepreneurial endeavors and jump straight to:

I CALL DIBS on ALL of @tmitchell59 's jackets that FIT ME and that I CAN AFFORD.

Gentlemen, as we ALL know, DIBS means that by mere utterence of this single syllable word, I have unilaterally given myself the right of first refusal to every jacket that @tmitchell59 offers for sale that is in my size. ONLY I can determine if I can afford ALL of them before declining therefore relinquishing my rights and leaving them to be purchased by others who were not shrewd enough to assert their legal rights via the DIBS system.

As we all know, holding First DIBS affords the holder absolute first priority rights to purchase and I fully expect The Fedora Lounge members to honor this universally known and sacred unwritten code. Any member who tries to circumvent the DIBS system will be met with, at the very least, a scowling Direct Message from me stating, "DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! I CALLED DIBS ON THAT JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!" Let the Lounge be hereinafter considered forewarned.

Also, please be advised that as Primary DIBS Holder in the impending sales at hand, I DO retain the right to sell my DIBS rights to another member as DIBS is a tangible right considered an asset under law transferrable for good consideration.

I just wanted to get this out there FIRST.

Thank you and carry on.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
I will dispense with any editorial commentary on @tmitchell59 's entrepreneurial endeavors and jump straight to:

I CALL DIBS on ALL of @tmitchell59 's jackets that FIT ME and that I CAN AFFORD.

Gentlemen, as we ALL know, DIBS means that by mere utterence of this single syllable word, I have unilaterally given myself the right of first refusal to every jacket that @tmitchell59 offers for sale that is in my size. ONLY I can determine if I can afford ALL of them before declining therefore relinquishing my rights and leaving them to be purchased by others who were not shrewd enough to assert their legal rights via the DIBS system.

As we all know, holding First DIBS affords the holder absolute first priority rights to purchase and I fully expect The Fedora Lounge members to honor this universally known and sacred unwritten code. Any member who tries to circumvent the DIBS system will be met with, at the very least, a scowling Direct Message from me stating, "DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!! I CALLED DIBS ON THAT JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!!" Let the Lounge be hereinafter considered forewarned.

Also, please be advised that as Primary DIBS Holder in the impending sales at hand, I DO retain the right to sell my DIBS rights to another member as DIBS is a tangible right considered an asset under law transferrable for good consideration.

I just wanted to get this out there FIRST.

Thank you and carry on.
Wish I would have thought of that:)

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Wish I would have thought of that:)
Bro, there is still time for you to call SECOND DIBS, DIBS ON JACKETS I DON'T BUY, and/or DIBS on the right to purchase MY DIBS rights............. The DIBS system has been around since Eve called DIBS on the forbidden fruit in Eden. Adam, holding secondary DIBS status at the time, also did get a bite.......... but that was only cuz Eve was trying to spread the blame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana