Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jewelry

Esme

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the links. Will see what is in my price range.
You do NEED two sets. One to wear for the ceremony and one for the going away outfit, I say. (This is for your wedding, am I remembering correctly? If not, please forgive and ignore me.) Hint around for a bridesmaid's gift or something. Your husband to be should give you a little something-something (in the way of jewelry, I mean!!) at the rehearsal dinner, pearls to wear for the going away outfit, perhaps?

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
Esme said:
Thanks for the links. Will see what is in my price range.
You do NEED two sets. One to wear for the ceremony and one for the going away outfit, I say. (This is for your wedding, am I remembering correctly? If not, please forgive and ignore me.) Hint around for a bridesmaid's gift or something. Your husband to be should give you a little something-something (in the way of jewelry, I mean!!) at the rehearsal dinner, pearls to wear for the going away outfit, perhaps?

OOO!! Thats very true! Yay! Two sets of jewelry for me! haha. That does help, and hopefully I'll be wearing a WONDERFULLY FABULOUS vintage suit to leave. (If I can find one).

Thanks for that idea! .... I'll also need something for the rehearsal dinner.. ;) Now I'm just getting greedy lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Platinum, or "plat"?

Folly said:
This is my favourite necklace. It was given to me as a gift by a friend's mum, for being such a good friend to her daughter. The chain is platinum, but I have no real idea what the stones are. People say that if it's a platinum setting, then the smaller stones (not the square one) may be diamonds. I've been told the blue stones are very likely to be aqua-marine. It's art deco by the way :)

artdeconecklace.jpg

I hate to rain on the parade, but I really doubt this is platinum for a couple of reasons:

Platinum does not tarnish, it is a blindingly blue-white metal that cannot tarnish, and the metal in the chain on this pic looks very dark. If it is marked "plat" that stands for Plated or even Plata (Spanish for silver), which means sterling silver plated, probably over steel or brass.

If it's just a dark picture (and the metal is shiny and untarnished), then it could be rhodium, which is a metal related to platinum, but very inexpensive, that 99% of this style of jewelry was made out of in the 20s and 30s. Sterling plate would actually be rarer.

The other reason is that that much platinum, if the chain really were, would be in the value range of $10,000, and no one would give it away! It is a very, very expensive metal.

The stones look like lead crystal to me, that is typically what they would use in this style of necklace. Usually these pieces came from Czeckoslovakia - I read somewhere that over 12 tons of Czech jewelry was imported into the US in 1930 alone (where is it all now?).

But it is indeed a gorgeous Art Deco necklace! These typically go for around $125 to $175 on Ebay, so it is still a valuable collectible.

I hope no one thinks I am being a pill, but I learn a lot from the Lounge all the time and hope to share what knowledge I have.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RebeccaMUA said:
I did a photo shoot on Thursday for a magazine and the stylist pulled some AMAZING vintage jewelry from a small high end shop in L.A. and we all drooled over the pieces. These are a my favorites!

photo.jpg

The stylists hands are blurred in this pic as she excitedly points out the pieces to us, lol
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

An amazing collection of 1980s jewelry.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Saw another thread with the nod to Adolph Weinman as the man who designed the Mercury dime and Walking Liberty half-dollar. Maybe the "WL" in WLP has something to do with that?? There are many useful sites (Illusion Jewels is my favorite) for researching vintage jewelry and hallmarks, but don't see a thing on W.L.P..

Foofoogal

Banned
I don't believe so. It has the copyright symbols next to the letters. I will try to get photos tomorrow. I just opened back up so very busy trying to come back on.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here is a reproduction of one of Jean Harlow's bracelets - a lovely chain link design studded with diamonds.

Jewellry.jpg

It was a present for my 16th birthday and I've worn it ever since. (Sorry for the bad picture!)
It's from this wonderful site: http://thehollywoodcollection.stores.yahoo.net/. They sell reproductions of jewelry from a handful of favourite Golden Era ladies. The service, quality, and shipping time is amazing!

I do have some real vintage jewelry. Gifts from my grandmother: A pearl pendant, a charm bracelet my grandfather made, and a stunning brooch of a leopard. From my father to my mother: an antique garnet ring set in gold.

vintagejewelry.jpg

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Russian deco brooch. I'm loving this!
il_430xN.62428606.jpg

Porcelain hand painted brooch, Victorian enamel brooch, amethyst necklace, 40's celluloid brooch
3765692571_d991fb0907_b.jpg

3795100528_4018976198_o.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Gorgeous

Mojito said:
I'm so emotional about this I'm almost in tears.

I never knew my paternal grandmother - she died in the 1960s before I was born. However, I was given a variation of her name for my middle name and have heard so much about her from my father and his twin sister, my aunt. My aunt was convinced that I was the image of mother as a young girl. I've always regretted never having known her - she was the "perfect wife of a difficult husband", with an extraordinary grace, tact and gentleness...and a rather wicked sense of humour (her reaction my father's first hangover was brilliant - he mumbled something about "having indigestion", and she responded "don't worry darling...I'll fix you up a nice fried breakfast, just like I used to do for your father whenever he had 'indigestion'".) I had nothing that belonged to her, and only a few family photos.

My aunt has quite a collection of clothes and jewelry, and when I was looking for hatboxes to accommodate large 1920s capelines for travel to New Zealand, my folks remembered to ask her if she had any she could lend me. She did - one, in fact, that had her mother's name on it (sort of my name, she told me). She also produced a bracelet and earrings that my grandmother wore to her engagement party in 1932...

And she's just told me on the phone that she's giving them to me.

I love their design - particularly the deco bracelet (she's looking for the matching necklace), but most especially they are precious to me as they're the first thing I've owned that belonged to Nell.

DSC00075.jpg

I love this set, Mojito

Lillemor

One Too Many
I have four books on vintage costume jewelry but I still have so much to learn. My dad buys the jewelry for me and there are so many traps plus he has to send it to me in Denmark so none of mine is worth much but I want every day jewelry I can use, afford to lose and break without much heartbreak and if we agree that he never pays much over $25, $50 at the most, then there aren't many chances of being cheated and while my jewelry may not be that collective, there are some nice pieces in my collection. Some look nicer on me than in a box. I don't want things that sit around like museum pieces, I want vintage things I can use. I don't care much about collectors value.

I do have a few favorite makers like Coro and Lisner though. I just think most of their designs were nice.

For daily use I prefer this style:

They're too heavy so they're for sit down lunches/casual dinners:

I worry about losing my vintage screw backs and clip-ons so I usually try to find modern earrings for pierced ears that go well with the vintage bracelets and necklaces I already own.

I'm no good at re-stringing so I'm looking for retro necklaces and bracelets with large plastic beads in the same style. I broke a long string of jet beads and I still havent' got around to re-stringing it. They were re-strung in the beginning of the 20th Cent. from some older piece of jewelry and they're not uniform in shape which I actually appreciate.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I broke a stick of the top pin and I keep on gluing it on:( I also lost one of the blue cameo clip-on earrings so that's another good reason to find retro pierced alternatives or cheaper vintage and the clip on turned out to be just a cheap Hong Kong made one:) :

My favorite bracelet and the one I receive the most compliments onlol :

They're so cute I can't bring myself to wear them because I'll be upset if I lose them:

They've already been posted else where along with other pieces. They were taken with our old web cam and I haven't got our new one working yet.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Too much jewelry!

I don't own any real expensive pieces. I have some that are vintage costume jewelry and some that are modern pieces that just look vintage. The style I like (art deco) makes it impossible for me to afford to buy pieces with precious stones (diamonds, etc.) because they are way too expensive. As a result I have a lot of pieces with rhinestones.

My daughter is coming over today with her phone camera so I'll try to take some photos to see if any of you jewelry experts can tell me anything about the vintage pieces.

There is one pin that I have that I can't find any information about. I don't know if it's vintage or a reproduction piece. It's a very strange pin. It's a large Indian head (side view) in what looks like copper (?) and on the back of it it says:

Northwest Mounted Police
Cecil B. DeMille with a copyright symbol after his name

What's so strange about this piece is that the movie Northwest Mounted Police is not even out on video so I don't know why someone would have created this piece years after the movie came out? Perhaps it was a pin made in Canada in honor of the Mounted Police? I don't think that it was made at the time the movie was made but I'd love to know what year it was made. I bought it back in the early 1990s from Goodwill. I'll try to get a good photo of it tonight and post it tomorrow to see if any of you have any clues to it's origins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk