Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jewelry

Lillemor

One Too Many
I'm reading:

'Fifty Years of Collectible Fashion Jewelry, 1925-1975'. Lillian Baker. CB. Values updated 2001.

'Costume Jewelry, Identification and values'. Cherri Simonds. CB. Values updated 2005.

'Costume Jewelry, The Complete Visual Reference and Price Guide'. Judith Miller. DK. Collector's Guides.

The bottom one is my favorite. My dad sent me the books as gifts. I'd like more detailed history on materials, workmanship, techniques, social/historical information. The last one covers that best but now I'm hungering for more in dept information.

Costume jewelry and music are my main vintage interests. I can't remember which thread I posted my jewelry on. I posted them in small so you could click on them and view them larger. None are of special value. My dad and I think it's safest if he max. pays $25 a piece until we develope some expertise knowledge. I'm not sure all of the sellers have been especially knowledgeable on the subject either.

Lorena B

Practically Family
I just cant get enough bakelite! and silly me (not) gold, but last one doesnt come as often as i would like it to thoug ha,ha,ha lol

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Amazing Vintage Jewelry from a photo shoot

I did a photo shoot on Thursday for a magazine and the stylist pulled some AMAZING vintage jewelry from a small high end shop in L.A. and we all drooled over the pieces. These are a my favorites!

photo.jpg

The stylists hands are blurred in this pic as she excitedly points out the pieces to us, lol
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
RebeccaMUA said:
I did a photo shoot on Thursday for a magazine and the stylist pulled some AMAZING vintage jewelry from a small high end shop in L.A. and we all drooled over the pieces. These are a my favorites!

photo.jpg

The stylists hands are blurred in this pic as she excitedly points out the pieces to us, lol
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I like the roman coin one, nice. I love the unexpected.

RebeccaMUA, off the record; How do you like being a MUA? I am hoping to start school in L.A., in January, at a MUA school. I've been wanting to tell you, I like your work (your site). Looks like you're having a lot of fun. ;)

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Craig's Personal Jewelers, Canton Ohio (http://www.craigpersonaljewelers.com). Beautiful things, great staff, fair prices for collectible/fine jewelery. Not a "walk in and see things in glass cases like Zales at the mall" type of joint. Call ahead, let them know what you are interested in, if they have anything at the time that suites your request, set up an appointment! Good luck!

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I adore vintage jewelry.. from the real stuff to the costume. My favorite pieces. I have a platinum deco pinky ring with a diamond, I have an ancient charm bracelet that is loaded (bought on Ebay) and I had "jingle bells" added to it, so I clank and jingle and I have a great bracelet that is loaded with black/plum freshwater pearls.. it looks like a charm bracelet too. And tons of pearl clip on earrings (costume). LOVE pearls!!!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I'mSuzyParker said:
I adore vintage jewelry.. from the real stuff to the costume. My favorite pieces. I have a platinum deco pinky ring with a diamond, I have an ancient charm bracelet that is loaded (bought on Ebay) and I had "jingle bells" added to it, so I clank and jingle and I have a great bracelet that is loaded with black/plum freshwater pearls.. it looks like a charm bracelet too. And tons of pearl clip on earrings (costume). LOVE pearls!!!

eBay has received more of my money than I care to admit, but in exchange for that loss of green, I've got a dress clip collection (duettes, rhinestone and bakelite) that brings me so much joy. (Like having little rhinestone babies that I love equally!lol )

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
Yes, Ebay is tough to turn down. Especially if you love earrings/bracelets, etc. that belonged to someone else. I always imagine there's some wonderfully romantic story that goes along with the piece and that somehow it's magic will carry over to me through wearing it. Just something else to love about vintage jewelry.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I'mSuzyParker said:
Yes, Ebay is tough to turn down. Especially if you love earrings/bracelets, etc. that belonged to someone else. I always imagine there's some wonderfully romantic story that goes along with the piece and that somehow it's magic will carry over to me through wearing it. Just something else to love about vintage jewelry.

Me too. I always ask the buyers if they know anything about the piece. Most of them don't but one or two have a fun story to share about the former owner or where it came from.

I was gifted a beautiful strand of beads that were purchased in my town in CA prior to 1926 and were worn only for "special occassions." The daughter of the woman who bought them lives on the east coast and thought the beads should "return to their home," so I send her little stories about the outings that the beads and I have. One or two places the original owner, born in the late 1800's, may not have whole heartedly approved of.:eek:

Esme

One of the Regulars
o0olibelulao0o, those are lovely! I especially like the last set.
Now that I have short hair again, I am thinking about dangling earrings. Can I ask where those are from? Is there, perchance, a website?

(I, of course, am praying they are faux, although, to this untrained eye, they don't look it.)

o0olibelulao0o

Familiar Face
the ones with the white background are from www.perfectdetails.com

the other ones are from a site called "something old vintage jewelry"... if you google it, it should come up as one of the first ones.

Most of them are just vintage inspired. They are a little pricey (I'm recently out of college so anything over $50 is pricey! lol ), but then again, they are special occation pieces so for a nice night out they are pretty reasonable. (I think the most expensive one was like $160.

I do like that last set... I LOVE the earrings. But for some reason I pictured myself with pearls... but who knows... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff