Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jewelry

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
I absolutely adore vintage jewelry, that what I collect the most!!! I love brooches, but at the moment I have a preference for vintage earings (clips)!! I found a beautiful 1940's pair in pale pink!!! And I loooooove cameos......

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wore this over the weekend:

dragonfly_012708.JPG

And found this in my jewelry box with NO IDEA where and when I got it! :eusa_doh:

Anyone know what this style of jewelry is called? The top photo and the bottom photos seem similar to me. All pieces are unmarked.

pink_set_012808a.JPG

pink_set_012808b.JPG

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Those are wonderful, Betty! I love coming across things I'd fogotten as much as buying new. I've been prowing around my house the last week or so & I'm finding all sorts of things, including jewelry. I found these--they were my grandmother's and I didn't know they were here:
001-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

008-4.jpg

Vintage Betty

Those are lovely! I like dog jewelry :)

And the beaded white and pink necklace looks like candy! How nice that you have your Grandmother's jewelry. Mine was stolen.

VB

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill said:
OMG! How awful! :eek:

Yeah, it was a worker who was working on our house. He apparently had a sob story of his wife having cancer, which wasn't true, and than asked for an advance, stole from whoever hired him at the time, and than didn't finish his job. It was a patterned behavior he had.

Bad news = I never got my jewelry back.

Good news = I figured out all the pieces above, tracked down his previous employers, found out he stole heavy machinery from one employer and sold it to another employer (we verified it though the ID numbers on the equipment; and tied them into the police reports.) The employers made statements to the police, and the @#$#@$#@ spent both Thanksgiving and Christmas in jail. And I hope he had a very Merry Christmas.

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I think I would have beaten him before the cops got him! Most of my jewelry is costume, but I always wonder if some crackhead broke in & was pilfering through my things would they think some of it was real & take it. Maybe they've stolen enough to know their real jewelry from the costume? [huh]

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill said:
I think I would have beaten him before the cops got him! Most of my jewelry is costume, but I always wonder if some crackhead broke in & was pilfering through my things would they think some of it was real & take it. Maybe they've stolen enough to know their real jewelry from the costume? [huh]

He simply took the jewelry box.

The cops were so indifferent to any of this and could have obviously cared less that I stopped donating to the local Policeman's charity fund that I've been donating to for about 10 years with my husband. It left a real sour taste in my mouth how they treated me. For the record, the dirtbag stole all our electronic and computer equipment too.

Vintage Betty

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Oooh, I hadn't thought of that, I assumed they'd just rummage around looking for the good stuff. The police are probably [huh] about stolen property because it is the least of what they deal with. I'm always hearing "property can be replaced!" but that is only true if it is something that is new & in the stores. Property has emotions tied up in it, even if it can't be pawned. My prized possession of my grandmother's is actually an old pan she had--just a wash pan type thing. I cherish it because she had it as a newlywed---she'd gotten sick wasn't able to get out of bed, and the children from the orphanage a mile down the road brought her that pan full of vegetables & she said she'd wash the pan & send it home when she could, and they told her to keep it, and she did, for the next 56 years.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Some of My Collection

DSC_0600.jpg

What IS that? It was my grandma's and I have no idea what it is?

DSC_0606.jpg

DSC_0602.jpg

DSC_0588.jpg

Collection of pendants and one Kangaroo pin. The purse pendant opens and my grandmother told me it was to put a perfumed bit of cloth into.

DSC_0583.jpg

collection of brooches: Buckeye brooch (would love to have it dated), Twin shamrocks, Painted porcelain brooch, and Asian themed peacock brooch.

DSC_0597.jpg

Thrifted pendant with interchangeable parts...I love that it is handpainted.
DSC_0592.jpg

Some old reprints of Charles Dodgeson photos that I like to interchange and all the parts.

The back:
DSC_0595.jpg

Vintage Betty

NoirDame said:
DSC_0600.jpg

What IS that? It was my grandma's and I have no idea what it is?

It's a man's tie clip, intended to keep the points of the collar flat against the shirt. The main (middle) part of the piece hides behind the man's tie and the two ends clip to each side of the collar.

Some women used them (incorrectly) as sweater guards, to hold their sweaters together, but they weren't made for that really.

Vintage Betty

Goldfish

A-List Customer
How do you tell if jewelry is vintage? is there any book or website you can link me to? would be so nice!

Mojito

One Too Many
I'm so emotional about this I'm almost in tears.

I never knew my paternal grandmother - she died in the 1960s before I was born. However, I was given a variation of her name for my middle name and have heard so much about her from my father and his twin sister, my aunt. My aunt was convinced that I was the image of mother as a young girl. I've always regretted never having known her - she was the "perfect wife of a difficult husband", with an extraordinary grace, tact and gentleness...and a rather wicked sense of humour (her reaction my father's first hangover was brilliant - he mumbled something about "having indigestion", and she responded "don't worry darling...I'll fix you up a nice fried breakfast, just like I used to do for your father whenever he had 'indigestion'".) I had nothing that belonged to her, and only a few family photos.

My aunt has quite a collection of clothes and jewelry, and when I was looking for hatboxes to accommodate large 1920s capelines for travel to New Zealand, my folks remembered to ask her if she had any she could lend me. She did - one, in fact, that had her mother's name on it (sort of my name, she told me). She also produced a bracelet and earrings that my grandmother wore to her engagement party in 1932...

And she's just told me on the phone that she's giving them to me.

I love their design - particularly the deco bracelet (she's looking for the matching necklace), but most especially they are precious to me as they're the first thing I've owned that belonged to Nell.

DSC00075.jpg

Liz

Mojito -- that jewelry is absolutely stunning, and the fact that there's such a nice story behind makes it even better.

Mojito

One Too Many
Thank you, ladies - if anyone knows what these things mean - beyond just being "things" - the people on the FL do. My mother has also reminded me that some of my maternal grandmother's silver bangles are perfect for the era I'm looking at - I was going to go buy some at the sales or have a hunt around the antique markets, but she polished and gave the bangles to me. I'll try to photograph them as well.

Vintage Betty

Mojito said:
Thank you, ladies - if anyone knows what these things mean - beyond just being "things" - the people on the FL do. My mother has also reminded me that some of my maternal grandmother's silver bangles are perfect for the era I'm looking at - I was going to go buy some at the sales or have a hunt around the antique markets, but she polished and gave the bangles to me. I'll try to photograph them as well.

We have some real experts and professional jewelry sellers on this board (Note: I'm not one of them) but I'd be happy to help. Just got a brand new jewelry reference guide in the mail on Friday from Bookins for a whopping $4.49 that needs to be broken in. :D

Any markings on any piece? As a rough start they are circa 1920-1930, great quality on all pieces.

If you don't hear from me about these within the next week, bump me.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW