Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jewelry

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I'm totally excited. I'm expecting to see lots of high end dealers there so, I probably won't be able to afford much. :( But you never know!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This place 1928 is a good place for cheap, er, inexpensive jewlery. You can find most of their line in discount stores, like Mervins, Targets, and the like.

21152.jpg

63657.jpg

40895.jpg

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Pearls are always good for vintage-y looks, if that's what you want to go for, and also nowadays you can find some in more modern designs as well. I don't really have any stores right off the top, but you can usually find them anywhere.

Have fun at the bash!:)

Adelle Rose

New in Town
CanadaDoll said:
Pearls are always good for vintage-y looks, if that's what you want to go for, and also nowadays you can find some in more modern designs as well. I don't really have any stores right off the top, but you can usually find them anywhere.

Have fun at the bash!:)

Yeh, I reckon pearls would look lovely. I think I'll just go for a simple string of pearls. Ive got no idea what to wear over my dress. Humm :/ My mum suggests a 'bolero', but I always thought that was just a dance. Got any more advice? :eusa_doh: :eek:

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
A Bolero would look real nice, also just a plain shrug, it depends on the weather you expect, a simple wrap or stole, a coat if it's cold................The world is your oyster:D

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're looking for dressier costume jewelry Eve's Addiction has a large selection. They do have a vintage section, and do everything from copying celebrities jewels to Tiffany knock offs.

I'm so glad that this thread was just started. I was thinking about accessories today, for I picked up two very cute vintage-y brooches and a great triple stranded off white big bead necklace at a store down the street from me. It got me thinking that I really don't have enough accessories for day wear. I have plenty of things for evening, but rarely the event to wear it.
So, to add to this thread, if anybody has a good place for vintage inspired or vintage costume jewelry that is good for daytime, please let me know. The things I've come across thus far haven't been that great. I'm looking for necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and brooches. I hope you don't think that I'm trying to hijack this thread, just hoping that you all can add to it. I don't think that we have a thread for accessories yet. I know about the bakelite thread, but this would be more comprehensive.
I did find some very cute accessories at Forever21, but don't really know of other places that have more casual items.

Novella

Practically Family
Whoohoo accessories. I think an accessories thread is a great idea Daisy. Here are some of my vintage-y pieces of jewelry. A lot of it is 1928. Mostly from sales at department stores, but there's at least one thing from Claire's, Accessorize, and New York & Co (and one of the little pairs of earrings I got from superdrug for under 2 pounds - they make me think of minature versions of big clip-ons). Far from replica vintage, but they make me happy! And some are just vintage related, like the blue bracelet with little blue vintage travel posters, the typewriter earrings (I have a bracelet with typewriter keys from the 1930s, but it's not with me at uni. I left a lot of stuff at my parents'.) I have some other stuff that's more 1960s/70s inspired too (the blue earrings at the far right aren't remniscent of the golden era, but they're some of my favorites so they got to be in the picture too. :))

The bracelet in the upper left corner is one I wore to my senior prom. I went modern-vintage - had my hair fingerwaved and wore vintage inspired stuff. It reminded me of the big sparkly bracelets I see in a lot of pictures of golden era actresses. The black Y necklace next to it I wore to junior prom. It was when I was just starting to get really interested in the golden era (I tried so hard to find a good red lipstick that year!).

Adelle, maybe you could try to find pictures of old movie stars wearing dresses similar to the one you have, and then see what kind of jewelry they pair with it? Then head to department stores and accessory shops and see what you can dig up. I find a lot of my favorite jewelry I just run into in random stores, one of those you know it when you see it moments (I know, not very helpful!).

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Who's Jewelry Savvy?

My grandmother gave me this bracelet in 2003. She had it in a box full of costume jewelry and has no idea what, where, or who this came from. I'm linking the photos because I want to keep them big so you can see the details:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/L1000511.jpg
This is the front. The initials are "LBB"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/L1000512.jpg
The back is inscribed "Lillie B. Bass"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/L1000513.jpg
The overall shape of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Amy_Van_doren/L1000515.jpg
As you can see, this has a little button that you push and the bracelet opens on a hinge. Unfortunately, mine won't seem to open.

My husband is guessing 1940s. I think maybe 1960s. Were these kinds of bracelets particularly popular in any certain eras? I wonder about this vintage piece the most (to answer another thread!) Not only do I wonder who Lillie B. Bass was every single day, I'm also stumped as to what era this belongs to. Any help would be swell.

Thanks. :)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Well, I'm far from a jewelery expert, but my mom has a bracelet with that kind of push button clasp. She thinks she picked it up in the 1950's.

Hope that helps a little!!

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have a bracelet like that that my mom got for me in the 90s...they've been popular for a long time tho!

I worked for a jeweler in the late 90's and we were still selling those bangles then. I don't know when the style was first popular. I would guess as early as the 30's. They were made both of gold and gold filled. If you have a non-chain store jeweler near you they may be able to give you a better idea of the time period.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
One of the consignment briadal boutiques I work with has the most amazing vintage jewelry, purses, shoes, veils and vintage wedding gowns. Some of the pieces are estate sale items, some have never been worn!!

But their jewelry is pretty amazing. Here's a link to the jewelry page:
http://www.sabrinaann.com/660550.html

If anyone lives in the Philadelphia area, I definately recommend going in and checking it out. Their selection is MUCH bigger than what is on the website!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gals!

I finally found out about my bracelet over Easter weekend.

"Lille B. Bass" was my Great Aunt Lillian's friend. I was told she was "old" even back in the 40s and 50s and that she died in '49 or '50. The bracelet is from the 1900s or 1910s -- I was told no newer than 1920! Lillie B. Bass also had a daughter named "Carrie" who died in 1917 at the age of 21. My mother has an almost identical bracelet with her name on it.

I asked where they were buried, but no one knew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot