Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Jewelry

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
the engraving definitely looks late victorian, but is it stamped on the inside anywhere? usually that'll tell you if it's a certain Kt of gold, or Gold filled (GF).

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I have a gorgeous sapphire Art Nouveau ring I bought in Portabello Market, and an Art Deco ring similar to this one: http://thehollywoodcollection.stores.yahoo.net/jeanharartde.html but with a yellow stone.

As for what I long for... too much to go into here! The short list would involve an Art Nouveau watch and some hair combs, an Art Deco ring with champagne stone (engagement ring, maybe ;) ) and a pearl choker from the 40's/50's.

drkfrau

New in Town
Hi,

I went to the Reading Air Show this past weekend and made out like a bandit. LOL I found and bought 2 pair of orange Bakelite hoop earrings for $5 a piece. I also found a very fancy silver and red Bakelite bracelet also for $5 that I'll give to my sister.

My Mom gave me a gold and diamond dress watch when I was a teenager, a sulfur stone ring and lent me her shell flower earrings for the weekend. She gave me her crystal drop earrings from her wedding ensemble. She worked in a parachute nylon thread processing factory during the war.

At a flea market, I got 2 art deco pins for $3.50 each. I found lots of other goods but the're not jewery pieces.

I am so thrilled! :eusa_clap

Michele:

drkfrau

New in Town
Oh, I forgot to ask if any of you ladies know where I can find the pins with red cherries that were so popular during the 30's. I was told that they are very rare these days. [huh]

Michele

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Bakelite is by far my favorite. It tends to be quite expensive, but I've recently found a ridiculously inexpensive source, so I'm buying it up piece by piece! Right now my favorite is a set of 3 marbled bangles in red, white, and blue. I paid $10 for the trio. :eek: There is a dealer at a local antique mall who has some of the most fantastic pieces I've ever seen - brooches with dangling cherries, etc. - but they're all horribly expensive. As in, "my entire paycheck might buy one piece" expensive. Yikes!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I have 5 jewelry boxes full of pieces I've collected, but my favorites are the ones that were family pieces. My very favorite is probably my grandmother's lapel watch (my grandfather gave to her during the war). I've never seen another like it, and it needs fixing, but I'm afraid to let it out of my sight.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
This is a vintage set I won off Ebay. It's supposed to be vintage celluloid fron the 40's but my sister suspected that they are fron the 80's. I'm not an expert and cannot tell. I still like the set anyways :)

204c_1_b.jpg
[/IMG]

roselily

One of the Regulars
Poor girl jewelry?

What would you ladies suggest for a poor shop girl? I was planning not to wear any jewelry at all, but I was told I looked too bare.

I thought about obviously faux pearls, but the problem is the audience won't be able to distinguish between that and the ones all the rich folks are wearing. Same problem with anything sparkly- the more gaudy it looks up close, the better it looks from a distance!

I'm hoping to use something I already own, rather than buy anything. I have quite a bit of jewelry, I'm just not sure what's appropriate in this case.

texasgirl

One Too Many
roselily said:
What would you ladies suggest for a poor shop girl? I was planning not to wear any jewelry at all, but I was told I looked too bare.

I thought about obviously faux pearls, but the problem is the audience won't be able to distinguish between that and the ones all the rich folks are wearing. Same problem with anything sparkly- the more gaudy it looks up close, the better it looks from a distance!

I'm hoping to use something I already own, rather than buy anything. I have quite a bit of jewelry, I'm just not sure what's appropriate in this case.

How about a locket? Something simple I think would be nice.

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I have an awesome ring that I came upon (one of those meant-to-be stories, I still don't believe it myself) in an antique expo in France that is a bronze/hematite art nouveau-looking beauty. It fits me perfectly and is from the turn of the century. I'll post a pic later. In love with this ring that reminds me of France and everything that I love. :)

lyburnum

Practically Family
Some of my favourite vintage pieces

jewelry3.jpg

These were all bought in Charity and Vintage shops, except for the turquoise earrings which where my Great Grandmothers, and the small silver clip ons with the pearl. Those were my Grandmothers.

jewelry2.jpg

The only item that was bought from this lot is the gold necklace which I got from a jewelry store that stocks a small selection of (very nice) vintage near me, everything else I inherited from my grandmother.

jewelry.jpg

Some of the rest of my collection of necklaces!

I don't have very many bracelets as I've not found too many I've liked. I have one vintage paste bracelet, but that's up in the loft at the moment along with another set of earrings and a necklace (all vintage) that I'm saving for my wedding day.

At some point I'll take a photo of my engagement ring, which is again inherited from my Grandmother. I also have her wedding ring in my jewelry box, but I'm getting a new one of those when I get married as hers is so worn down and I'm not a huge fan of yellow gold rings.

I forgot about my watch. My Mother gave it to me as she was going to throw it out. She got it in the early 70s from her fiance at the time. The strap is solid gold apparently. Am I right in thinking I can get away with it even though it's 20-30 years later than most other items I wear?

jewelry6.jpg
jewelry7.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
lyburnum said:
My/my Grandmothers Engagement ring. It needs resizing though as I have tiny fingers

161007002.jpg

This is beautiful--I've never seen a design like this one. I'm loving all your pictures today!

ShortClara

One Too Many
I've acquired a vintage earring lot from the bay. They are astounding - here are my faves:

earringlot.jpg

They need some clean-up. Can you take a look at the metal (I don't know what it is) and give me any clue on how to approach cleaning? The red pair have the green gunk on the screw as well - what do I do about that?

blueear.jpg

redear.jpg

Thanks!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Lovely earrings ShortClara, I would say that the metal is probably plate metal with either copper or nickel or brass in it to have gone the greenish colour that is shown in your pics.
I have found that the best thing is to firstly wash them in warm water (not hot or your may end up with stones falling out if the glue gets dissolved) with a little washing up liquid and a very soft toothbrush. Then give them a bit of a polish with a soft cloth and maybe a Silver cleaning cloth.
The sparkly diamante hoops at the back look interesting, they are reminiscent of a Miriam Haskell design I've seen.
Lovely collection, you can never have too much jewellery!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot