Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Knitting!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Resizing patterns

I am an advanced beginner with my knitting. Maybe an intermediate skill level. There is still a lot that I haven't tried to do, I am still learning.

I have been browsing some of the patterns linked in this thread. Often, the patterns aren't in the right size for me. Are any of you gals familiar with how to resize a pattern?

Kishtu

Practically Family
GoldLeaf - before you start re-sizing anything, are you checking your tension? (and yeah I know I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs)

My mum is knitting me a cardigan from the V&A free patterns and what she's finding is that her knitting is a lot tighter than theirs - maybe just her knitting, she is a tight knitter, maybe the different make-up of the yarns now and then, who knows? The main reason I got her to do it is cos I can never be bothered to knit the test square :) that'll teach me!!!

Anyway, the ratios for conversion are in this article if they're any use to you:
http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/qt/bodynotes.htm

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I love to knit too! Right now I'm working on an afghan, nothing vintage about it, but I love to put on a cd of '40s music or one of an old radio show on my "repo" Crosley cd player/radio and I feel like I am transported back in time. Plus I find it very relaxing.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Kish - I haven't started anything, just browsing. I know that I am a size 20 or greater in vintage attire, and I am seeing many patterns in a 14 or 16. I know from experience that those are tiny garments.

So when I see a pattern from 1945 in a size 14, and I know that a regular garment from 1945 needs to be at least a size 20, I know that I will end up having to modify the pattern. I just figured I would inquire before I bought a pattern I couldn't figure out how to use :)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
000_1880.jpg

000_1881.jpg

I love them all but these are especially great. That first picture looks so vintage at first glance I thought it was modern posing as vintage.

I don't knit but I've always wanted to learn. I inherited a huge amount of knitting equpiment from a friend (needles of every size, gauges, etc.) so I really have no excuse.

There was a book published 10 years ago or more called Hollywood Knits, with sweater patterns based on items worn by Golden Age stars--does anyone else own it too? There's a sweater in there based on one worn by Loretta Young that I've always wanted to make.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MissQueenie said:
Amanda, I think you could probably learn to knit out of books. I pretty much learned that way, and by watching video clips of certain stitches (increasing, for example) online.
~ Queenie

Could you please post some of the books and video clips that were helpful when you taught yourself to knit?

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
Could you please post some of the books and video clips that were helpful when you taught yourself to knit?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php

Great website with lots of videos! It is how I taught myself to do a tight increase.

http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/

One of the yarn companies. Pretty good illustrations, much like what you would find in a basic booklet from a craft store.

To teach myself to knit, I just went to a craft store, and picked up a "Learn to knit" booklet for $6 or so. There are many of them out there, so I suggest browsing through them to make sure you understand their illustrations and wording. The illustrations are pretty standard, but everyone learns a little differently.

And don't get frustrated. I think I tried to teach myself on 2 or 3 separate occasions a couple years apart before it finally clicked for me.

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Hey Guys, I run a knitting circle in NYC on Sundays, Upstairs at the Rodeo Bar during football season! :D

The first meet of this year will be October 21st! I hope if some of you are in town you will join us.

There are about 20 of us ladies who get together, share and trade vintage patterns for both knitting AND crocheting.

That's The Rodeo Bar on the corner of 27th St and 3rd Ave, NYC. It's a Texas BBQ restuarant and Honky Tonk.

If you want notifications, you can join my MySpace list or PM me your email addies.. I'm "Martinislayer" on myspace too.

:)

OH, And guys can come too! We have a big screen TV for football, and Free WiFi access for those who are borg with thier computers. Hehee ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
GoldLeaf said:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php

Great website with lots of videos! It is how I taught myself to do a tight increase.

http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/

One of the yarn companies. Pretty good illustrations, much like what you would find in a basic booklet from a craft store.

To teach myself to knit, I just went to a craft store, and picked up a "Learn to knit" booklet for $6 or so. There are many of them out there, so I suggest browsing through them to make sure you understand their illustrations and wording. The illustrations are pretty standard, but everyone learns a little differently.

And don't get frustrated. I think I tried to teach myself on 2 or 3 separate occasions a couple years apart before it finally clicked for me.

Thank you dear!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Earlier today I mentioned a book I picked up (in 1987! How time flies!) called Hollywood Knits. It has patterns for sweaters worn by Golden Age stars and I thought you might be interested in seeing some of them. There are 3 sweaters for men too.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

I think this one is my favorite

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

I love the flags!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have that Hollywood Knits book too!

I've never tried to knit anything from it because I've always been afraid that they tinkered with the fit of the sweaters to make them more of a 1980s fit. Have you ever tried to make anything from it?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
I have that Hollywood Knits book too!

I've never tried to knit anything from it because I've always been afraid that they tinkered with the fit of the sweaters to make them more of a 1980s fit. Have you ever tried to make anything from it?

I've wondered that too, but I had someone knowledable look at the patterns and they thought they were safe from the 80's treatment. I've not made anything from the book myself, but I like nearly everything in the tome.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I plan to buy me a vintage knitting maschine! I probably never get to know how to fiddle with the needles myself, so this is my chance (and I readed in forums on knitting that actually even a idiot manages to knit with that one!). So tommorow might be the big day that my future as a hobby-knitter starts! I badly need sweaters and pullovers for me and my boyfriend for winter! lol

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
ASimpleLady said:
Slightly :eek:fftopic:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2879&PRODID=prd12399&source=search

I want to start knitting. Is this a good place to start?

Sure looks like it! It comes with a lot of the supplies that you will need, which is great. And the reviews look positive. I would give it a whirl!

Kami: Those books look wonderful! These are the ones I got - this thread inspired me :) Now I have to get done knitting things for my baby and my friend's baby, and I can start one of these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150117727293&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260164700085&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR