Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Lust

Gilbey

One of the Regulars
Is there any vintage thing that is tugging at your heart? Maybe it's unattainable or maybe you're still saving to get it? What is it that you really wanted to have?

Mine is a Thorens TD 124. Truly a collector's classic masterpiece! This is a modular transcription turntable that you could build on piece by piece from the tonearm to the cartridge of your choice. Truly a turntablist connoissuer's dream machine! And oh ... prepare to spend $3,500.00 for a mint completed deck! Yeah, it's attainable and I'm saving for it.

thorenstd124se0.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
The list of vintage watches I dream of is endless - most of the are Omegas :D

But, apart from watches my biggest vintage dream is a 30s danish Nimbus Sport motorcycle:

brochure_1936_sport_mellem.jpg

Regards.

Jakob

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
1. An Alfred Shaheen dress
2. A house full of Heywood Wakefield furniture
3. A classic car

(not necessarily in that order)

Adelaide

New in Town
Count me in on the classic car, a big sleek black 1940's four door. How wonderful. At least if the vacuum system works and lights aren't too dim...

Wall hangings, pictures of the era. Photos of work-a-day people doing their jobs.

Shoes. Remix Vintage shoes. Waaay to expensive but a worthy splurge.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Adelaide said:
Wall hangings, pictures of the era. Photos of work-a-day people doing their jobs.

Check out flea markets and estate sales in your area! Even snoop through all the photo albums you find at thrift stores (sometimes there are still pictures in them). Old photos can be expensive sometimes depending on type (such as daguerreotypes), but if you just want snapshots you can often find a lot for fairly cheap!

I just want Dita von Teese's wardrobe. Is that so much to ask for!?

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
a Duesenberg boat tail speedster
show-prewarcar.php

a Supermarine Spitfire.
All the bakelite bangles and brooches and necklaces (there has to be the necklace with cherries on it in that collection!) I can feast my eyes on

I already have the house picked out. :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's an abandoned 1920's movie theatre in Augusta, our state capital, that's been decaying away since it closed in 1969. Given the funds, I'd renovate, restore, and run it.

And given the funds, I'll also take --

a 1939 Plymouth Deluxe business coupe, in either green or maroon, with radio, heater, mohair upholstery, and a very large trunk.

An unremuddled pre-1920 house with more than five rooms.

Adelaide

New in Town
DeaconKC said:
I2 things I would love:
A Thompson sub machine gun
a flat fender Jeep

Um, I could possibly line you up with the gun. ;) I have a radio friend who is a gunsmith, who is using one as his 'sign' for his business. He said he made it nonfunctional or so he says. But hey, if he broke it he could fix it right?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
An Art Deco dining room suite by Epstein. They were top British furniture makers of the 1930s. I have just looked for a picture but couldn't find a good one, sorry.

Looking at somewhere between £3000 - 5000 for a table, six chairs and a sideboard. Better get saving!

carter

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
.....An unremuddled pre-1920 house with more than five rooms.

I love it! An addition to the lexicon of terms used for changing a habitation. I've been remuddling my house for years. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DeaconKC, Jackson Armory in Dallas has a Thompson with a solid bolt and receiver for sale. $850.00.

Adelaide said:
But hey, if he broke it he could fix it right?
Depends--if it's still papered as an NFA weapon, he might be able to after filing some more paper with ATF--if it's not, he'd be creating an "illegal machinegun"... Civilian machineguns have to be registered, and Congress closed the registry in '86.

That $850's probably only either a semiauto or a "short-barrel rifle", according to the full-auto Thompson owners I know $10K is the low end for one with "Da Switch".

Flivver

Practically Family
This is totally unaffordable, but I'd like to rescue and restore the abandoned Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company's East Springfield Works in Massachusetts. This is the plant where many of the wonderful Westinghouse and RCA radios were made in the early 1920s. And it's the birthplace of WBZ radio in September 1921. It's presently scheduled for demolition.

This industrial area looks much as it did in the early 1920s. The towers that supported the original WBZ flat-top antenna are still standing on top of one of the buildings.

After restoration, I'd turn the complex into a radio and broadcasting museum.

Dream on...

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Adelaide said:
Um, I could possibly line you up with the gun. ;) I have a radio friend who is a gunsmith, who is using one as his 'sign' for his business. He said he made it nonfunctional or so he says. But hey, if he broke it he could fix it right?
Sweet, if he is interested in selling it, I would LOVE to have a crack at it! [drool, drool]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
That $850's probably only either a semiauto or a "short-barrel rifle", according to the full-auto Thompson owners I know $10K is the low end for one with "Da Switch".

Nope. It was a fully automatic Thompson that has been rendered non-firing. Ergo, a solid (nonworking) bolt and receiver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner