Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Makeup Favorites

decodoll

Practically Family
I just noticed the price on that OPI nail polish!!! $34.95!!!! I'm afraid that one is a bit too rich for me! But at least I have a colour name now. Maybe I can find it cheaper. :)

decodoll

Practically Family
oh no...I buy OPI all the time. It's about $8. This person wanted $34.94 on ebay because apparently it's a rare discontinued colour. I already checked the OPI website. They don't make any darker greens anymore.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
the opi one...

indeed....I stuck that one up there more for the name then for you to go pay that much....

I do also know that several of the smaller brands carried at Save-on Drugstores out here in Southern California have greens and I will have a look and see if they are suitable for you as well...

:)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sockhop makeup?

Hiya ladies! I've sure missed you! I had just found the Fedora Lounge when my pc went on the blink. I'm using my husband's work puter right not, which I have to BEG for, and a new pc is on it's way, I can't wait!!

ANYHOO~ I have a sockhop party to go to this weekend. What shall I do with my makeup? I usually go for glam, not sockhop. Also, what kind of earrings should I wear?

I have a black and white plaid vintage full circle skirt and pink crinoline to wear along with black shirt and pink scarf~ might look for a sweater too but I won't wear it all night, too hot. I want to add a black cat and pink and black ribbons to the skirt. I just got some awesome vintage cat glasses on ebay, and I've got saddle shoes.

I look forward to getting my new puter and getting to catch up on what I've missed around here!

Ohairas

Bella

New in Town
Hello Ladies,

I'm new to your forum and totally loving the honesty and helpful tips. I'm quite fair myself (more yellow tones, some sun spots from my very bad earlier days) with naturally black hair and dark brown eyes. I too have always had quite a time finding the perfect foundation. I've tried several brands ranging from the expensive to the practical, some of my favorites are Chanel, Dior and Shiseido all three provide great coverage (a little to heavy for my everyday taste) and come in very light shades.

My current favorite is LORAC satin Makeup Foundation, in M1 $35. It's light weight texture provides just the right coverage and blends well with powder for that super matte finish. Also great is LORAC Oil-Free Makeup Foundation, S1 and for those gals who like it wet or dry LORAC Wet/Dry Powder Makeup Foundation, WD1.

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/...rxp1=HP-26821&trxp2=0&trxp3=12880&brand=24450

I'm also a big fan of MAC's Matte Finish Foundation, N1 and MAC's Studio Fix (compact power) NC20, great coverage and there's lighter shades.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY15107&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1379

Thanks so much for all the Lipstick color tips, I'll be looking for that perfect red.

dollfaced

Familiar Face
Makeup Favorites

Hello girls here are my favorite makeup favorites!

Alexandra De Markoff Foundation 81 1/2
Besame Souffle Foundation in Bisque
Coty air spun loose powder
Victoria Secret Red Devil #77 Lipstick
Vino Lipliner by Mac
Moon shade eyeshadow by trucco sabastion
Anna Sui liquid liner in black
Mabelline mascara lash stylist
Besame boudoir rouge in Sun Kissed

Brooksie

One Too Many
More make-up favorites

Hello everybody,

I just thought I would share my makeup favorites with all of you:

First off I adore the 1920's this is my era and the make up I use is as follows... for my face - I to am very light and have a hard time with foundations so I use a powder (it is actually a body powder that can be used on the face, it is all natural and contains no talc which I am alergic to... this can be difficult because most makeup contains talc, this powder also has a small amount of mica in it for a little bit of shimmer) the powder is from D'lish and it is called venus envy dusting powder it is a very white powder but it goes on very translucent. Go to www.dlishus.com to check it out. Using powder instead of foundation works well for me because for the most part I have good skin and also in the 1920's they did not use foundation, they would apply powder right over the moisturizer.

For my brows I use estee lauder soft black brow pencil with Benefit She Laq over to seal them and hold em in place.

Then I use Champagne shadow it is a loose mineral makeup by VonNature( I do not believe they have makeup any longer - just skincare). I have to use a natural mineral makeup shadow because of the talc that is in most shadows.

Next I use lots of mabelline great lash mascara in the Blackest Black.

For my lips I line them with Aveda "Terra" which is actually an eyeliner in a deep brick red color and then I fill it in with Aveda Scarlet sage which is my all time favorite red! It is a nice bright blue red and the lip liner actually adds just enough depth and warmth to it to balance it all out.

Sorry, that I ended up writing pretty much an entire chapter on this I will stop now so someone else can let us know what is on their mind!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the lounge Bella!
I just bought some Coty powder myself, I really like it...though the only bad comment I have about it is that I bought the translucent kind and it still deposits color onto my foundation. But, it does the job.

Etienne

A-List Customer
MysteryGal, are you applying it with a powder puff? I have found that if I press it on my skin and roll it with the puff I get incredible staying power and it really sets my make-up. When I am finished with my face, I very slightly moisten a make-up sponge and lightly pat my whole face with it. Since doing this, I never have to reapply anything all day, except a bit of lipstick. The translucent has never affected my foundation color at all, but the "Natural" color does--it's too light!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I've been applying it with a powder brush. It tends to make my make-up lighter. MK got on me about not having a powder puff also...must look into it ;)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Coty Powder

What shade(s) of Coty powder do you ladies use?

Years ago, I used a shade, I can't remember the name exactly, but it was sort of a pinkish and was very complementary with my light skin. It's been a few years since I bought it (I love that it lasts forever!) because I wanted to try Besame, but now to save some $$ I want to go back and can't find any store locally that sells it. Sadly,:( there is no local Walmart, Target or Walgreens and CVS doesn't have it.

I will probably order online, and since the selections are limited, I don't know what shade to buy anymore. Can anyone recommend a good shade for me?

Thanks!:)

decodoll

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I wear their translucent shade--I am super pale though, so I always stick with translucent :)

Same here. :) Although, years ago I remember they had a shade light enough for me, but nowadays all Walgreens carries is the translucent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner