Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
fleur said:
As for the colour it was a sheer accident that I found it and I absolutely love it! The price made me blanch a bit - at £9 for a bottle (thats $18) I nearly cried!

Whoa! $18--that's insane! It doesn't cost that much in the US. Well, I'm sure it will last awhile so you can get your money's worth out of it.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Fleur you have lovely natural nails and you did a great paint job! I love that opi color too. I've been wearing their "all the berry best" lately.

My nails are usually long and nice but in the winter they get so brittle and all break off. I can't keep polish on at work to protect them, sigh...

You must have nice half moons too. Mine are funny.. my pinkies have none, and then each finger up my hand the moons get slightly bigger. Anyone else have this??

Nikki

GOK

One Too Many
Mine are non-existant, Nikki - I can just about see a hint of them on my thumbnails but none anywhere else. Good job I have no desire to give myself a vintage manicure!

Fleur Darling, yours look fab. How did the corset hold up, BTW?

fleur

One of the Regulars
Gok - Although the ball was a bit of a let down the corset was fantastic (apart from the drunken bum who spilt beer down it so hes getting whacked with a big dry cleaning bill!)

We were in such a rush to get out as my cousin had a hair crisis that no pictures were taken at home but as soon as we get the official ones taken I will post them up!

Nikki - thank you :D I only have moons on my thumbnails funnily enough. One thing I have always done is smother my hands in Sanctuary Hand Spa and wear cotton gloves overnight - works a treat!

As a daily hand moisturiser I use Clarins - its fantastic too!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I love your manicure fleur!!!!! :D

I wish I could do a vintage mani, but I unfortunately can't wear any nail polish that isn't very light (or flesh-toned), because of our dress code at work. Since I'm a manager, I have to set an example, but no one really cares if I'm wearing nial polish or not... So it's kind of pointless. *shrugs* I just don't want to be the one caught with non-dresscode nail polish. [huh]

Kim_B

Practically Family
Coming to this thread late as usual, but I wanted to share a wonderful little product I got for Christmas...by no means is it vintage, but it might help with those vintage inspired manicures.

Avon has dry nail enamel in a few different shades....you simply peel them off the backing and place it on your nails, and trim away the excess. I never usually paint my nails on a regular basis because the polish never stays, no matter how good of a top coat/sealant I apply. It always chips off and peels, and looks awful! These little strips of enamel are great! I applied them Monday night and have since done laundry, put away all our Christmas decorations, and spent yesterday and today filing papers and folders at work and I'm happy to report that my nails still look like I just polished them - not a chip or peel to be seen! As I was looking at them today, I got to thinking that you could trim them with the little crescent cut out at the bottom and it just might work. Anyway, for those of us who have a hard time keeping nail polish on, this might be a good solution.

http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.a...vel2_id=301&pdept_id=313&dept_id=&pf_id=10213

Donna/Dante

New in Town
I'm actually attempting to do a vintage-style manicure today. I've got the left hand done, thus far. I've got good half-moons on my thumbs, and can't really see them on my fingers, so I'm kind of faking it. :) I don't have guides, so I'm kind of free-handing with the polish, and it's come out fairly neat on my left hand (I'm right handed). I expect it'll be not nearly as neat on my right hand, *grin*. I'm using OPI 'You Make Me Vroom' (a bright primary non-shimmery red) for colour.

-d

fleur

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies!

The only tip for faking moons (I only have them on my thumbs) is if you make the moons slightly smaller than you want them when you finish adding the amount of coats you want, wait for the top layer to dry and I used a tot glass with remover in it and an old eyeshadow blender brush and dipped this in the remover, took the excess of the brush by dabbing on some kitchen paper and slowly and carefully event up my moons.

Does that make sense??

once I had done this I did a clear top coat.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Those look great, fleur! I use French manicure guides and it takes some of the guess work out. I use acetone to remove any smudges and to even things out, as it removes the polish with minimal rubbing, thus making it easier to create a perfect curve.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Historically correct nail polish colors?

What were the historically correct nail polish colors for the 1920's-1940's? I am thinking red, but what other colors did they use? Any pinks?

Quelquefois

New in Town
I've been on the search for the perfect dark purple.

I've never been able to find one. I've seen Lincoln Park After Dark in many ads.

I'd also love to find I'm Not Really A Waitress.

Argh! Where are you?!?!

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Uh oh, I can see me looking for a local stockist now I've heard you all raving about OPI lol at the moment I use a dark red colour by Barry M, I just wish I didnt have such tiny childlike nails!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I want to retract my statement about the Avon nail polish strips I posted about - can't remember if it was this thread or another nail polish thread. I stated that I loved this stuff because it was easy to apply and you didn't have to wait for it to dry and risk smudging or goofing it up, which still holds true. But now I do not love it because it has turned my nails to complete crap. After the first set, which was a lovely pink shade, my nails seemed fine. However, after the last set (a true red shade) my nails have done nothing but split, peel, bend, break...it is just horrible! I don't know if it was something between the color/adhesive combination that reacted a certain way, or if it was simply weakening my nails to begin with. I will never use this product again!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Kim_B said:
I want to retract my statement about the Avon nail polish strips I posted about - can't remember if it was this thread or another nail polish thread. I stated that I loved this stuff because it was easy to apply and you didn't have to wait for it to dry and risk smudging or goofing it up, which still holds true. But now I do not love it because it has turned my nails to complete crap. After the first set, which was a lovely pink shade, my nails seemed fine. However, after the last set (a true red shade) my nails have done nothing but split, peel, bend, break...it is just horrible! I don't know if it was something between the color/adhesive combination that reacted a certain way, or if it was simply weakening my nails to begin with. I will never use this product again!

I'll avoid this one then! I am allergic to many polishes, and now that my nails are finally grown out from the last reaction I had, I don't want to mess with them. :) I can suggest OPI's Nail Envy, if you haven't heard of it--that really helped cure the peeling/splitting I was experiencing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner