Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
fortworthgal said:
I'll post photos if I end up doing this and it works out. I've practiced a couple of times with the French manicure guides and I think I can manage it... we'll see! lol

I found that the reinforcers for loose leaf notebook pages work really well, also.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
You know what I hate? When I got to the salon, ANY SALON, and ask for oval instead of square 100% of the time the nail technician will try to talk me out of that shape touting it as "too old, for old ladies."

raaa! Just file my nails already!!!!

Bubbly

New in Town
desi_de_lu_lu said:
You know what I hate? When I got to the salon, ANY SALON, and ask for oval instead of square 100% of the time the nail technician will try to talk me out of that shape touting it as "too old, for old ladies."

raaa! Just file my nails already!!!!

Part of it, I think, is that technically square shaped nails are stronger and less likely to break. However, a good nail technician would ultimately suggest matching the shape of the nail to the shape of your finger tip.

Regardless, a professional nail tech wouldn't argue with what the client wanted after making the suggestion.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Bubbly said:
Regardless, a professional nail tech wouldn't argue with what the client wanted after making the suggestion.

Yes, just tell them that you know what you want, that you are paying them to do what you ask, and that if they're going to give you grief about it, you'd be happy to take your business elsewhere. That will usually shut them up pretty quickly.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Bubbly said:
Part of it, I think, is that technically square shaped nails are stronger and less likely to break. However, a good nail technician would ultimately suggest matching the shape of the nail to the shape of your finger tip.

High heeled shoes are to Combat boots as Oval nails are to Square-chicklet shaped nails.

I'll take the heels. Besides.. we aren't hammering nails with my fingertips. ;)

Bubbly

New in Town
desi_de_lu_lu said:
High heeled shoes are to Combat boots as Oval nails are to Square-chicklet shaped nails.

I'll take the heels. Besides.. we aren't hammering nails with my fingertips. ;)

This analogy made me smile Desi! ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Same here...

rachw182 said:
That looks amazing! I could never get my nails to be that long,
I'm a pianist and having long nails interfers with my playing :cry:

Nothing like that feeling you get when you catch one between F and F# at about 40 mph...

Ruby

New in Town
I'm not sure if this helps, but I wrote a little half moon manicure recently that you might like;

You will need;

Nail file
1 small bowl of warm soapy water.
Cuticle remover (optional)
Hoof Stick/Cuticle Knife
Moisturiser
Self Adhesive paper hole reinforcers
Base coat
Nail Polish (preferably red!)
Top Coat
Cotton buds
Nail polish remover

1. File your nails in an oval or rounded shape, try to avoid “sawing” backwards and forwards, this will create heat in the nail plate and encourage the nail to split and result in a chipped manicure in days. File gently in an upwards direction up each side of the nail towards the centre.

2. It is essential to have well maintained cuticles for this manicure as it draws attention to this area of the nail, apply you cuticle remover and soak you nails in a little bowl of warm water and liquid soap for five minutes. Dry your hands and wipe away and any excess cuticle remover then gently push the cuticles back with a hoof stick or cuticle knife then rub in a little moisturiser.

3. Always apply a base coat to avoid staining the nail plate.

4. When the base coat is dry, using half a paper hole reinforcer, cover the lunula or “half moon” of you finger nail and apply your first layer of colour, wait until thoroughly dry then apply a second coat. Ensure that you nail polish is not thick or gooey as this will result in the nail polish chipping quickly, buy a good nail polish thinner (I prefer Mavala) and dilute your polish is this is the case. Two thin layers will last much longer than one thick one.

5. Once both the layers are completely dry remove your paper guides by gentle peeling to the side. If there are any errors dip a cotton bud in nail polish remover squeeze off the excess and use to “rub out” any mistakes.

6. Complete your manicure with a clear top coat and this should last you at least a week.

N.B. When you have spent the time and effort giving yourself a manicure always ensure that you wear rubber gloves when washing dishes or doing housework. Household detergents and soaking in water are the best ways to spoil a manicure.

I recall that somewhere near the beginning of this thread someone mentioned that nails were buffed with a pink powder, I though you might like to know that it was jewellers paste!

Ruby
x

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
well I tried on my left hand, I am sure it will be much more difficult on the right. I didn't use any french manicure stickers though.. maybe the moons are too small or my nails not long enough..

anyway, here is my go at it.

DSC01623.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beautiful!

Darhling said:
well I tried on my left hand, I am sure it will be much more difficult on the right. I didn't use any french manicure stickers though.. maybe the moons are too small or my nails not long enough..

anyway, here is my go at it.

DSC01623.jpg

And looks so nice! I don't think they are too small or too short - I find the "moonicure" to always make fingers look longer and more elegant. Nice balance on the oval shapes of the tips and the moons too.

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
I love your moonicure...Let me just tell you that for your first try you did really good..I have tried to do this on myself too, and yes doing on the right hand is always a bit harder,,but just as long as you have some q-tips and nail polish remover in hand, you will be allright!:p

altamari22

New in Town
40s nails

Hello I have a event coming up soon. And I have been looking for things about 40's look for nails. I have seen the 30's site but does anyone know about 40's nails?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy