Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Handy tip that I just discovered!

I found that using nail polish THINNER instead of remover is far more effective for cleaning up the little boo boos when doing nails! It removes it all from your skin without leaving that colored residue, and you can use less of it on your Q-tip or cotton-on-orange-stick, and it doesn't run all over and get on the parts you want to keep.

Another handy tip - when you are removing your nail polish, have your hands wet with water! It makes it a lot easier to get the color out of the cuticle, and it comes off your skin easier too. Seems to be less drying also.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
Another handy tip - when you are removing your nail polish, have your hands wet with water! It makes it a lot easier to get the color out of the cuticle, and it comes off your skin easier too. Seems to be less drying also.

hehe I -always- take toenail polish off in the bath, probably for this reason. You can do literally the first half of a home pedicure in the bath. Remove polish, soak feet for a while, file nails, remove callouses etc.....

Then when you get out, you just have to polish.

I am either brilliant for thinking of this, or just really lazy. ;)

Miss 1929

Miss Neecerie said:
I am either brilliant for thinking of this, or just really lazy. ;)
you are as brilliant as i am, or we are both very lazy!lol

I adore doing stuff in the bath. Sadly, until I gut and remodel the bathroom, I only have a tiny tub that can only hold half of me at a time... one reason I love the Queen Mary so is their gigantic sarcophagi of bathtubs!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss 1929 said:
you are as brilliant as i am, or we are both very lazy!lol

I adore doing stuff in the bath. Sadly, until I gut and remodel the bathroom, I only have a tiny tub that can only hold half of me at a time... one reason I love the Queen Mary so is their gigantic sarcophagi of bathtubs!

Sighs.... the suite we were in last time....had a lovely tub, but the only way to fill it was the shower....so I persevered...but even blinding hot water cools when its being sprayed through the air.....

I was -devastated- that I could not take multiple long baths in the tub.

Miss 1929

Miss Neecerie said:
Sighs.... the suite we were in last time....had a lovely tub, but the only way to fill it was the shower....so I persevered...but even blinding hot water cools when its being sprayed through the air.....

I was -devastated- that I could not take multiple long baths in the tub.
They couldn't change your room? Or fix the switchy thing? Jeez!

Yes, I think I take about 4 baths a day when we go to the Art Deco Weekend - of course it is blisteringly hot, so you need to wash often...it must be really hard to do vintage all the time in that climate!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I didn't ask...because it was one of the -big- suites...and there probably wasn't another free....and moving 4 of us over a bath....shrugs.

ok....back to nails.. not quite vintage specific but does anyone else use nailtiques stuff to help make their nails stronger and not so wimpy and splity?

I am trying it again and so far am happy...

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I use the clear/ purple Sally Hansen "Hard As Nails" to keep mine strong. It works great as a base and a chip resistant top coat as well.

I also have really ridged nails from all the work I do w/ my hands. It helps to fill in the ridges so I have a nice smooth surface to work with. And it dries super quickly too!

Miss 1929

Miss Neecerie said:
ok....back to nails.. not quite vintage specific but does anyone else use nailtiques stuff to help make their nails stronger and not so wimpy and splity?

I am trying it again and so far am happy...

Yes, I am addicted to it! Nothing else works on my thin, peely, fragile, piano-traumatized nails!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
when my nails get just a tad long I always get them ripped at the base where the nails 'leaves' the finger, is it true I can use some sort of silkpaper to re-enforce that area, so I dont have to cut them down ?

artdecochic

New in Town
1930's 1940's Nail polish style my way

Materials needed:

Cotton Balls
Nail Polish (Deep red) or red that flatters your skin tone Beige nail polish
Q-tips
Nail tape or Scotch tape
Small Scissors

Step1. Clean nails good Paint the nail a light coat of beige very light coat it wont dry right if too thick. Let dry very well.
Step2. Place nail tape or scotch tape to contour the moon of your nail this may take a while. Use small scissors to fit it just right. Cover the moon completely.
Step3. Paint the entire nail red two coats.
Step4. Remove carefully the tape on the moon. Do it wet dry will make it peel.
Step5. Clean it up with a Q-tip so they look nice and neat.
Step6. Remove the very tip with a Q-tip and nail polish remover, then apply beige to tip and your done now you have vintage nails.

:eusa_clap

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Thanks artdecochic! I was just going to search this thread to see if it was best to remove the tape (of french mani tabs) when the polish was wet or dry and you saved me a good bit of hunting! In beauty school they taught us to just free-hand it. My left hand turns out all right, but boy my right hand looks crummy everytime. I'm gonna give your way a try!

jayem

A-List Customer
artdecochic said:
Materials needed:

Cotton Balls
Nail Polish (Deep red) or red that flatters your skin tone Beige nail polish
Q-tips
Nail tape or Scotch tape
Small Scissors

Step1. Clean nails good Paint the nail a light coat of beige very light coat it wont dry right if too thick. Let dry very well.
Step2. Place nail tape or scotch tape to contour the moon of your nail this may take a while. Use small scissors to fit it just right. Cover the moon completely.
Step3. Paint the entire nail red two coats.
Step4. Remove carefully the tape on the moon. Do it wet dry will make it peel.
Step5. Clean it up with a Q-tip so they look nice and neat.
Step6. Remove the very tip with a Q-tip and nail polish remover, then apply beige to tip and your done now you have vintage nails.

:eusa_clap

I can't ever add color before I put on tape. No matter how long I let it dry, the color still stick to the tape and creates an unattractive mess...

ErinKathleen

New in Town
I have the acrylic gels because my nails are so thin - has anyone tried re-shaping them with a file after they grow out a bit, or is it better left to the tech? They look as vintage as fakies can get when I first have them done, but when they get longer the shape is all off.

Miss 1929

Well, that's one name for it!

shamrocq said:
just to let you ladies know i found that someone in Tribe mention the correct name for the moon manicure is 'Gatsby manicure'

It sure wouldn't have been called that back then... just "manicure".

In my circle we call it a moonicure as it is descriptive. Besides, if it's a 30s look, Gatsby is way too early, that story is set in the 20s... They weren't doing a lot of red polish in the 20s, not until the early 30s was it really mainstream. It was still frowned upon for church, teachers, business...

shamrocq

New in Town
Hi ladies, this is what I've found:

"The Gatsby characterized by polish on the nail but not the moon is updated now with moons painted soft shades of cream or pink married to pastel versions of apricot and coffee on the rest of the nail."

extracted from here: http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/blog/template_permalink.asp?id=728

"The Gatsby
So named because it was a popular design in the 1920s, this style features a contrasting colour of varnish over the half-moon area of the nail. It suits any shape of nail, but it's important that the cuticle area is tidy and nourished."

extracted from here: http://www.nailsbybaptiste.com/index.php?pr=Sunday_Times_August_2000

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
perhaps not very vintage - since I lack the moonicure. But i had just gotten my nails done, as in fake nails .. now I have these insanely long, red, oval and glossy nails. Is it wierd I feel more diva-like?! lol Of course I cannot do ANYTHING, it would be more easy doing stuff with my wrists or elbows now, but stil, they do look fantasticly amazing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic