Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Manicures

nyx

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Base coats usually provide a rougher surface for nail varnish to adhere to, and some of them help smooth out and fill in any ridges you might have in your nails. Top coats are usually a super smooth, hard, chip-resistant coat. They're really not the same, but it probably doesn't make *that* big of a difference.

I use a rubberized base coat to help the nail polish "stick" longer. If you have natural nails, I think it's a bit of a must to have a base coat, because polish just won't stay put. The top coat I use is a quick dry coat that gives the polish the extra shine it needs.

As for the hole enforcers not sticking, I had that problem too, which is why I pre cut them into fourths for my nails (thirds for the thumb nails). If you pre cut them, they are more likely to stick to the nail. My big problem is that they weren't adhering to the sides of the nail, and cutting them fixes that. (I hope that made sense). That way, they aren't touching the skin at all.

Goldfish

A-List Customer
So I have tried the french tips in silver thing and I loved it but my bf said it looks like I have dirty nails :(

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Goldfish said:
Found a really nice silver today and tried to apply it.
I had several problems with the tip guides I tried yet so I used adhesive tape because I heard it worked for a lot of people - but not for me!
It's the same thing as with tip guides - uneven, the polish is build up where the tape ended... and I can't get the tip guides mentioned in this thread - any ideas?

That will happen with the guides.. I use a flat rounded sable hair brush and dip it into nail polish remover and clean up the edges. Simple and gives a clean line. I learned that by watching the manicurist do it. You can pick up a lot of tips if you pay attention when they do your nails.;)

Fleur de vanité

New in Town
Awhile back I seen a Makeup & Style Guide from the 1920's all the way up to the 1960's of Hairstyles,Makeup,Nails. Forgive me,but for the life of me I can't remember the site. I'll try my best to find it.

Back in the 30's and 40's the women got their nails painted except for the crescent moon at the tops of their nails.

I usually keep my nails at a long length and I paint them red or sometimes clear.

My nails stay really hard,so I can afford to keep them long.

Sometimes I like to paint them a pearl/light color and take a deep red and paint over the tips,then add a clear top coat. They look wonderful that way!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
My Fingernail Length

I am trying to decide a completely superficial decision. Are my fingernails too long? Sure, I can barely type anymore, but I am more concerned with the visual aspect over the ability aspect. I have 3 nails that broke off and are growing back out so they don't count, but based on my other nails are they too long? Yes, I know I have grotty nails and hang nails and they need a nice manicure, but I just cleaned off all the nail polish and I am going to recoat them with clear then color. I am speaking specifically about the length. Are they too long? Should I file them down slightly? Thanks.
P1130306b.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
plus, the shorter they are, the less wonky it looks when you break one off short.
I think it is a very personal decision though, I imagine it will be different on everyone's hands, due to the proportions.. finger width, hand width, etc.
Being a pianist, I have to live through your nails vicariously... mine can never be longer than 1/8 inch! They get caught between the black and the white keys as I am tearing along at 78rpm, and ow, it hurts!

Candied violets

New in Town
fortworthgal said:
I did read somewhere that in the 30s they had something very similar to the French manicure, though, where they buffed the nail with some type of pink powder, and then used a whitening cream under the tips.

I know this was posted back in 2006 but has anyone discovered just what this pink powder is? I would really like to try this style.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I use the hole enforcers as I can't find any manicure stickers that aren't odd shapes and unless I use a particularly thin nail varnish then I don't really have a problem. I cut them in half and use one half per nail - I love the look, it makes my fingernails look less stumpy when they've shorn off (I use my hands a lot for design work and print) and I think it makes my fingers look longer ^-^

I tend to file my nails so that they have a slight, very rounded point. I don't like square nails, I don't think that they look particularly elegant on me at least xx

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Candied violets said:
I know this was posted back in 2006 but has anyone discovered just what this pink powder is? I would really like to try this style.

Is it Max Factor Society Nail Tint and Nail White?

from the Max Factor wikipedia entry:

-- 1927: Creates "Society Nail Tint", a small porcelain pot containing rose colored cream. Applied to the nail and buffed, it gives a natural rose color. "Society Nail White" also hits the market. It's a tube of chalky white liquid that's applied under nail tips and left to dry. The end result resembles the modern French manicure.​

P.

Candied violets

New in Town
Thanks Pina Bridgette! I can't find any modern mentions so I guess Max Factor hss moved on in the past 80 years or so. ^_^ However, now that I have some idea of what I'm looking for I think I can find some sort of modern equivalent.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I know this is a really old thread, but I just read through the whole thing again as I plan on trying the moon manicure either tonight or tomorrow. I picked up China Glaze "Vermillion" and used it on my toes, so I'll try that for my nails. It is an awesome red - really a true, bright, candy apple red, without any weird pink or purply tones.

I'll post photos if I end up doing this and it works out. I've practiced a couple of times with the French manicure guides and I think I can manage it... we'll see! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic