Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage maternity and vintage clothes for kids

Just for fun...here is a 30's maternity dress I found at an estate. It was actually converted that way. Found it after I had my little one...naturally

211-304x411.jpg

-Amanda

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GoldLeaf said:
So, to advance my own interests, I am giving this a bump :D Anyone else have vintage maternity patterns? How about vintage knitting patterns for a baby?

Pun intended?? I say, check out ebay! I see maternity there from time to time :)

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Maternity Patterns

GoldLeaf said:
So, to advance my own interests, I am giving this a bump :D Anyone else have vintage maternity patterns? How about vintage knitting patterns for a baby?

GoldLeaf, congrats your impending arrival. (I read it on another thread) I happen to have a couple of maternity patterns from the '50s. The Lucille Ball style shirts that are sleeveless, perfect for the NC summer heat and then one with the shirt/jacket that buttons up the front. I think, think, the one with the sleeveless shirt pattern also has a pencil skirt.

I got them to make a friend of mine some Vintage Repro maternity clothing.
if you want, i'll happily trace you copies of the patterns, then you can have your own vintage wardrobe to grow with you. Just PM with an address.
:D

Foofoogal

Banned
Women weren't depicted as pregnant publically

It was called being in a family way!

Speaking of trashy kids clothing now I am with you Cherrybombb.
Elvira clothes I call them. Even the babies clothes have things like bow down or I am the boss, This is what spoiled looks like or something ludicrous. Since I have 7 and 9 yrs. old grandaughters I am amazed anyone would buy this trash.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Foofoogal said:
It was called being in a family way!

Speaking of trashy kids clothing now I am with you Cherrybombb.
Elvira clothes I call them. Even the babies clothes have things like bow down or I am the boss, This is what spoiled looks like or something ludicrous. Since I have 7 and 9 yrs. old grandaughters I am amazed anyone would buy this trash.

Elvira clothes!! lol lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I call them either Prosti-tots or Paris-ites.... really bad puns, I know. ;)

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Ditto, a while back my sister sent me a picture of my niece (6 yo) posing, looking much older and totally hoochie. My jaw dropped. Literally.

But as for vintage or vintage inspired, if no-one else is wearing it or it looks too "different" - my son won't wear it. Mainly just hawaiian shirts, izod's, tees and jeans for him. However, he likes bowling and I got him a personalized bowling shirt for his birthday several years ago that he really liked:

NJBBirthday2004.jpg

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
That is so cute!

Oh, GoldLeaf--there are dozens of vintage baby sweater patterns. I think Vogue has a book of them out, if you are a knitter!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i am lame. I just wore normal clothes during my pregnancy.
I wore, wide leg capris, and extra LONG tank tops... and little boleros over the tank tops. ...
I never fit into materity clothes, so i had to make due, with everyday wear.. [huh]

K

killertomata

Red Pony Vintag said:
Just for fun...here is a 30's maternity dress I found at an estate. It was actually converted that way. Found it after I had my little one...naturally

211-304x411.jpg

-Amanda

I love seeing this!

I just found out today- well I got the verification from the birth center- I'm pregnant! First thing I thought of- after prenatal care, eating right, etc.,- was "Oh! I need at least a couple vintage maternity dresses!" lol MY boyfriend completely gets this.

I knew if I searched 'maternity' I'd find something like this here. :)

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
killertomata said:
I love seeing this!

I just found out today- well I got the verification from the birth center- I'm pregnant! First thing I thought of- after prenatal care, eating right, etc.,- was "Oh! I need at least a couple vintage maternity dresses!" lol MY boyfriend completely gets this.

I knew if I searched 'maternity' I'd find something like this here. :)

Congratulations!!!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Congrats! I'm about six months along right now, and definitely in maternity clothes all the way. I try to do "classic casual" as much as possible, since I don't have any vintage maternity clothes. Thank goodness I have a lot of 1950s boxy jackets and winter coats- those still fit!

My son is almost three and we dress him vintage whenever practical. This baby is going to be a girl, so she and I should have a good time dressing up! Here's a pic of my boy in a repro sailor suit with vintage hat, shoes & socks last summer:

Jaysonvintage.jpg

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Sweet Leilani said:
Congrats! I'm about six months along right now, and definitely in maternity clothes all the way. I try to do "classic casual" as much as possible, since I don't have any vintage maternity clothes. Thank goodness I have a lot of 1950s boxy jackets and winter coats- those still fit!

My son is almost three and we dress him vintage whenever practical. This baby is going to be a girl, so she and I should have a good time dressing up! Here's a pic of my boy in a repro sailor suit with vintage hat, shoes & socks last summer:

Congrats Sweet Leilani!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations to the gals who are expecting!

I've got a fair number of vintage sewing patterns for children from the 1920's-the early 1950's. These are two of my favorites, suits for little boys age 8 and 4 respectively. I'd love either of those jackets for myself!

norfolk.jpg

suit-1.jpg

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
Congratulations to the gals who are expecting!

I've got a fair number of vintage sewing patterns for children from the 1920's-the early 1950's. These are two of my favorites, suits for little boys age 8 and 4 respectively. I'd love either of those jackets for myself!

imoldfashioned- you should bring the patterns to kinkos and have them blown up to fit you! They're great patterns!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Cherry_Bombb said:
imoldfashioned- you should bring the patterns to kinkos and have them blown up to fit you! They're great patterns!

I'll definitely do that someday, hopefully later this year. I've been looking for adult patterns for this type of jacket for years with no luck at all. The instruction sheets are fascinating for these--you can see just how skilled home sewers must have been back then because so much knowledge is assumed.

glass susie

New in Town
Congratulations killertomata!
We've always dressed up our little ones to go with what we're wearing.
Whether on a Vintage Cycle Ride, Windsor Great Park 2003.
Wilfred was only 5 months old here, Harry was 2. I loved Wilfred's knitted woollen bobble hat, it had a peak and ear flaps and tied under his chin! Harry's oufit came from H&M and a French clothing catelogue.

Windsor03001.jpg

Windsor03002.jpg

In 2004, Wilfred wore what Harry wore the previous year and Harry's got his school boy's outfit on, including cap and shirt hanging out usually!
Note the basket seat has been updated to a side car & crossbar seat.

Windsor04001.jpg

Windsor04002.jpg

In 2005 we all took part in the Liberation Commemoration parade on Guernsey. The boys rode in a friend's RAF Humber driven by their daddy.

Guernsey05134.jpg

Wilfred got loads of attention in his sailor suit!
Guernsey05148.jpg

I then got some studio photos done of them as they looked so good, if I do say so myself!
scan0027a.jpg

scan0029ab.jpg

scan0028ab.jpg

Most recently, we all went to the Goodwood Revival Motor racing event in September 2007.
This photo of them on my bike was taken by a press photographer and appeared in the Sunday Telegraph.
Sunday.jpg

leaette

A-List Customer
i was completely miserable my whole pregnancy so i didn't care about my looks too much the whole time. don't get me wrong, i wasn't a slob. but i wore basic maternity clothes from sears and motherhood stores. and i didn't curl my hair much. basic makeup to work.
i had extreme fatigue so i was going to bed at 7pm anyway so i wasn't going anywhere but work.

however...that 30's dress is super cute. i'm hoping my next pregnancy will be easier and i can wear cute stuff.

leaette

A-List Customer
here is my son this past summer. he was 3 months old. this was at a WW2 reenactment we spent the day at. This is a 40's jumper that was way too big for him. I got it at an antique store for a few bucks.

conrad004.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Cherry_Bombb said:

:eek:fftopic: Might want to check for copyright before doing this. FedEx Kinko's has a strict copyright policy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner