Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage maternity and vintage clothes for kids

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
cemetarian said:
I find so many adorable little girls patterns..and am just curious as to where the cut off is on Mama dressing up her little girl and the young girl making that choice on her own........
When I sew for my 9 yr old niece, her mom and I pick 4-5 patterns that we like and think is appropriate and let niece pick from those patterns. She also picks fabric, as long as it's right for the design. So many of the modern pattern styles are too mature, just like the fashions in the stores.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
exquisitebones said:
How in good heavens did they nurse their children back then???
I have been stocking up on front button dresses, but even that is a PIA.
I seem to remember reading (maybe in Milk, Money and Madness) that breastfeeding became less and less common starting from WWII, when more women were in the workforce. I know that both of my grandmothers bottlefed their babies in the mid-late forties.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i guess that makes sense then. my grandmother looked at me like I was mad for breastfeeding my children. :rolleyes: lol
I guess it just was not common so they did not make clothes to accomidate it.

it still seems so weird to me, I guess for the longest time I just assumed that people always b-fed in history.

IndieCherry

New in Town
Sad but true

:eek:fftopic: *Typing one handed right now* lol

Women were entering into the workforce. Also, baby formula companies would give doctors money to push formula. My Nana had six boys in the 30's-40's and she said the doctor would come into the room after she had her baby, tell her "her milk was bad" and she couldn't feed her baby. He'd give her a pill to dry up her milk and send her on her way. Apparently it was a class thing as well. Only poor women breastfed. :eek:

Also, my mom told me that if a woman's pregnancy was brought up, they would say she was "pg". ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
IndieCherry said:
:eek:fftopic: *Typing one handed right now* lol

Women were entering into the workforce. Also, baby formula companies would give doctors money to push formula. My Nana had six boys in the 30's-40's and she said the doctor would come into the room after she had her baby, tell her "her milk was bad" and she couldn't feed her baby. He'd give her a pill to dry up her milk and send her on her way. Apparently it was a class thing as well. Only poor women breastfed. :eek:

Also, my mom told me that if a woman's pregnancy was brought up, they would say she was "pg". ;)

It happened up to at least the 60's. My mom said the doctor did the same thing to her when my sis was born in 1968 (she was a hippie and refused the meds). When she had me in the same hospital in 1973, they asked her if she wanted the meds. At least she had the choice that time.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
sadly, its not a thing of the past.
Doctors and formula companies still push it.

I had 3 pediatricians tell me breast milk was not good enough and I should be supplimenting with formula :rage: [huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
exquisitebones said:
sadly, its not a thing of the past.
Doctors and formula companies still push it.

I had 3 pediatricians tell me breast milk was not good enough and I should be supplimenting with formula :rage: [huh]
At least they don't give you meds to dry up the milk any more. They've been shown to cause breast cancer. I can't believe that happened to you. With both of my kids, the OB/GYN, pediatricians and the nursery nurses were super militant about making sure moms breastfed and this was 10 years ago. In fact, a girlfriend had such a negative experience with the militant nurses, she was willing to drive more than an hour to another hospital for her second baby. She has lupus and the meds are fatal when passed through milk. It just wasn't safe for her to breastfeed.

evelyns-niece

New in Town
oh my goodness!

I know it's been a while since this thread has been active and I'm sort of veering off course here, but I couldn't help but say oh my goodness!!! I can't believe I'm hearing this! I am expecting my second child April 3rd, so this sort of hits a nerve.

It's one thing if a lady makes the choice herself for her own reasons to bottlefeed from the get go, but it's another to have doctors actually tell you your milk is bad and give you pills to dry up!! Wow, I must be living in a cave, I never heard of this. That's crazy!

My mom nursed me for two years, and I always heard doctors say they recommend a year of nursing if the mom is able. I could only do 3 months with my first baby when I was working full time, so now that I'm at home full time I hope to last longer with this one!

Back on topic -- I found a great vintage fifties pajama pattern at the local Peddler's mall for my six year old. Now I just need to figure out how to work that darned sewing machine gadget...

VintageVixie

I'm sixteen weeks along, and have been scouring the web for vintage maternity patterns in my size. Not having much luck, and thinking... if I could just find out the basics of putting a panel into a regular pattern...

Does anyone know of a site that might explain something like that? I bet it's pretty basic, but it's been a long, long time since I sewed. I want to tread carefully. :)

I've already begun to show, and can only wear a couple things in my wardrobe... thanks to a Bella Band, I have a pair of very vintage style Levis, just a regular pair that are a size too big, that will now stay up. But they won't last long! I don't want to end up just in baggy stuff... although I may not have much choice... because the option between too-big bowling shirts and pants actually is more appealing than the hideousness of what I've been finding in maternity departments!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Have you checked http://www.lanetzliving.net? She has quite a few vintage maternity patterns, mostly 50's. As for adding a panel, you can buy a pre made panel in fabric stores. I seem to remember they have instructions on the package. Also, most of the current maternity pants patterns use panel construction. Hancock's and JoAnn's frequently puts patterns on sale for $1.99. Just pick up a pattern the next time they're on sale and use the panel pieces to adapt your pants.

VintageVixie

^Thank you, I will check that site... and I probably need a better fabric store. What I have around here is really a craft store with fabric. Not as much sewing as everything else. Maybe then I will find panels with instructions.

alden405

A-List Customer
Up the duff!

Not me!

My lovey partner is 6 months full of baby.She is normally a very petite 5 foot 2 inches.
She is quite round in the front and slim everywhere else.

Anyone got any vintage tips for mothers to be?

I know this is the ladys section but i really need help

Thanks

Sam

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Maternity Patterns

Vintage Vixie,

What size are you? I'm in the process of weeding out the patterns that I don't want and I know I saw at least 5 maternity patterns. I really don't plan on having children so I know they'll be of no use to me. I was going to Ebay them in a large lot at some point but would be willing to set them aside for you if they'd work.

androidpop

New in Town
So Im not the only one!

I wore MuMu's a lot when I was pregnant, Also gauchos, not really with the vintage theme here but I was a complete hormonal mess... I did get a really cute 3/4 length sleeve jacket that kinda of 'belled' out at the bottom. I had my little miss Lola in July of '08 so i usually just wore tank tops and gauchos, and my beloved mumu (it is great, its grey with playing cards embroidered on the front and back). My friend bought Lola a little 'sun suit' before she was born, she will def be able to wear it this summer, its a beautiful yellow floral print- almost like overall shorts but.. fluffier!

I will post pictures when she wears it! Also- we got a box of clothes from a friend of ours with all kinds of vintage baby clothes...

With a baby its hard to dress them vintage, at least for me! I try for practical and easy to get stains out of!! But when she gets her pictures taken, or for a stroll, i will deck her out! hehe! lol

here is a picture of her as of late- with her daddio!

2vanlgz.jpg

androidpop

New in Town
Ha! crazy! I always thought everyone breast fed in the past too.... thats an interesting thought- I guess because I do maybe its easier to assume they all did because of money or health.

lipstickpearls

New in Town
Oh how I love all of you!

This site is one of my new loves. I wish I had more time to spend on-line. I'm so glad I got to read about nursing/bottle feeding back then. Very interesting I had no idea any of that had happend. I don't have any kid and don't plan on if for a few years but I'm trying to get a heads up on everything. Right now I'm worried about all the shots they give to babys and how they are linking it to the increasing rate of mental/autism.
The maturnity clothing patterns are a good idea, I have been thinking about what the woman wore and what I will do when It's my time.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Ok, here's a question. What have any of you ladies done about stockings while pregnant? After today, I flat refuse to wear pantyhose anymore, but I can't imagine wearing a girdle and stockings (I can't squish Junior!). So...help?!?!?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner