Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage neon signs

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Astor Theater 1946
F1946C7E-45AA-42FB-9E75-424067254AF3.jpeg

Crowds line up to see a Hitchcock thriller.

Times Square 1946
E06A3BD6-813E-4543-83CA-FEF14822E113.jpeg

Fresh Pop's popcorn makes for better tastin' popcorn at the flicks! :p

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
NYC 1946 (Color foto)
AEBCABF6-5258-460E-9694-2606B9C09A8F.jpeg

Made it ...."Film Noir"
72BAC39B-3C04-4BED-9946-9E789D85176F.jpeg

Film Noir (literally 'black film or cinema') was coined by French film critics (first by Nino Frank in 1946) who noticed the trend of how 'dark', downbeat and black the looks and themes were of many American crime and detective films released in France to theatres following the war, such as The Maltese Falcon (1941), ...
55CEDD6D-76E3-40AF-9E89-93130767D64D.jpeg
44130047-9B14-4EBA-A17D-7EC6B9F33CD0.jpeg

What I wouldn't give to be that dude looking down on Bogie & Bond doing their thing! ;)

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Back in the good ol' days, when a man could order a salmon-colored car from the dealership, and still be confident in his masculinity. [emoji3]

Rob
I had an uncle who drove an Edsel.
He loved that car which he polished so much,
You could see the paint’s underneath primer around
the fenders. No kidding!

Some things for reasons unknown stay with me.
I was 5 and this is one of them.:)

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
This thread is amazing. I love neon signs. Why don't we see more of them anymore ? Nothing is as eye catching. These nee giant LED screens for signs are blinding and an eyesore. Neon is soft and soothing whilst also being eye catching.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Neon disappeared for a lot of reasons. People like to blame the highway beautification campaigns of the 1960s and 1970s, but the real reason was a lot more practical. Neon is a horror to maintain -- the fact that you've got a 10K volt electrical transformer and a lot of wiring, usually exposed to year-round outdoor weather conditions, means constant attention is needed to keep a sign lit, and the bigger and more complex the sign is, the more it costs to bring in a truck and a crew to go up and fix it when it starts to buzz or flicker or blink out completely. The glass tubing is very susceptible to vandalism as well -- all it takes is one kid with a well-aimed rock, and you're looking at $$$ in repairs.

The first back-lit plastic signs came along in the late 1940s -- the first to be used on a significant basis was the illuminated, vacu-formed plastic Shell gas station logo deployed starting in 1948. As soon as these were proven feasible and durable by the development of industrial-size florescent light systems, neon was doomed. It took a couple of decades for the plastic signs to fully take over, but once the momentum began it was inevitable.

I've been dealing with an actual large-scale outdoor neon sign for nearly thirteen years now, and it's about the biggest headache I have. There's only one company left in our area capable of maintaining it, and they aren't inexpensive. The only thing worse than neon on a maintenance basis is individual incandescent bulbs.

Lost Ronin

One of the Regulars
Neon disappeared for a lot of reasons. People like to blame the highway beautification campaigns of the 1960s and 1970s, but the real reason was a lot more practical. Neon is a horror to maintain -- the fact that you've got a 10K volt electrical transformer and a lot of wiring, usually exposed to year-round outdoor weather conditions, means constant attention is needed to keep a sign lit, and the bigger and more complex the sign is, the more it costs to bring in a truck and a crew to go up and fix it when it starts to buzz or flicker or blink out completely. The glass tubing is very susceptible to vandalism as well -- all it takes is one kid with a well-aimed rock, and you're looking at $$$ in repairs.

The first back-lit plastic signs came along in the late 1940s -- the first to be used on a significant basis was the illuminated, vacu-formed plastic Shell gas station logo deployed starting in 1948. As soon as these were proven feasible and durable by the development of industrial-size florescent light systems, neon was doomed. It took a couple of decades for the plastic signs to fully take over, but once the momentum began it was inevitable.

I've been dealing with an actual large-scale outdoor neon sign for nearly thirteen years now, and it's about the biggest headache I have. There's only one company left in our area capable of maintaining it, and they aren't inexpensive. The only thing worse than neon on a maintenance basis is individual incandescent bulbs.

Wow. thank you for the explanation. That's why I love this forum. It's such an incredible wealth of knowledge. You, yourself have an amazing plethora of knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner