Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage on a First Date: Do or Don't?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...I know you're asking the ladies, but from a guy's point of view:

Dress to fit the venue / atmosphere, but dress vintage. This is, after all, who you are. BUT - choose an outfit that isn't obviously out of the norm. Pick something subtly classic / classy, that might pass for contemporary but would be obvious to those in the know. It sounds as if what you've got picked out fits the bill.

...remember, he's just another human being. Don't build it up to be more than it is. Be comfortable in your own skin. Confidence is extremely attractive.

Snookie

Practically Family
He sounds interested in your hobby, which is the most important thing! He might even like seeing you in head to toe vintage for a first date, but I wouldn't do it just yet -- here's why:
1) Depending on where you are going for your date, he might not be as dressed up and might feel uncomfortable in his clothes. (I'm assuming you would wear a vintage dress, not slacks.) You don't want the poor guy to feel like a slob next to you!
2) As you know, wearing vintage attracts attention, and even if it's positive, he might be unused to attention from strangers and might feel much more uncomfortable than you. He's probably going to be nervous already, so adding to the anxiety of a first date might not be a good idea.

I think you should do your hair, and perhaps wear some vintage jewelry or shoes that can be a conversation piece. You can tell him some cute stories about comments that strangers have made, or show him 2 or 3 pictures of you all dressed up. Then he'll be all prepped for when you grace him with your wonderful vintage presence!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think I would keep it vintage but pare it down a little. No hair-flower, no cardigan, maybe? Just to let out a bit of the formality. Vintage but fun. Cardigan + pearls might be construed as a bit fussy for a 1st date, lovely as they are.

Also, I'm completely biased as a person who rarely wears cardigans. If you do a lot, and it looks casual/natural on you, go for it. And have a great time!

-Viola

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I agree with the "vintage, but fun" sentiment. If I were in your situation, I'd probably wear a cute flirty vintage dress or a skirt ensemble like you described, as opposed to one of my super high-waisted pencil skirts that gets a lot of attention.

Don't be afraid to be yourself though!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Hello Daisy! I agree with Wingnut when he suggests to dress for the venue, I find for a date you can not go wrong with a cute skirt outfit or sundress, (unless the date is a nature hike of course:) )

If he knows your love of vintage then I'd say go for it, which ever outfit makes you feel the best. :)
As a general rule for myself, I tone my accesories down on a first date, if my dress is beaded or printed, then I usually only wear a silver chain or small ring.

I know that whatever you wear you will look stunning, and this guy will be less concerned with your outfit than with your charming personality, I hope you have a great time.:)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I'd say its a do, but like the other posters said, pare in down a little, maybe choose something that looks "classic" like a little black dress and a string of pearls. Maybe don't go totally over the top with gloves and a hat, but most men that I have met really like vintage clothing, it helps you stand out from the crowd and show that you are unique.

Have a great time :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Like everyone's suggested so far, the line between Vintage and Vintage-y is actually very thin -- and the outfit you describe sounds perfectly fine for the kind of evening you're planning. What's most important is that whatever you wear should let your personality shine thru -- never forget, he's not taking your clothes out on the town, he's taking you!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, thanks for all of your great advice.

I think I will wear a dress, but nothing too fancy, more cute and flirty. I'll keep the accessories to a minimum. I think my best bet is to keep it simple. We are just going for dinner, I'm not sure where. I don't want to look over dressed, and I definitely don't want to look like I'm trying too hard!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Viola said:
No hair-flower, no cardigan, maybe?
-Viola

But but but...:(
Thats such a cute look.

Id say dress for the venue, as Mr. Wingnut pointed out, be it vintage or no. Id also say dress it up a bit more than the norm, which wont be hard, so he knows your level, and knows that is the min of where he has/needs/ should be.

Good luck,

LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Oh Lady Day don't get me wrong, it is. But for a FIRST date, I dunno. Maybe I'm just a coward? [huh] :)

-Viola

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
But but but...:(
Thats such a cute look.

Id say dress for the venue, as Mr. Wingnut pointed out, be it vintage or no. Id also say dress it up a bit more than the norm, which wont be hard, so he knows your level, and knows that is the min of where he has/needs/ should be.

Good luck,

LD
Thanks Lady Day:) I do love flowers in the hair, but the cardigan that I'm wearing is quite decorative, so I don't want to over do it. However, once again I've thought of another outfit that might do. I'm never going to be able to make up my mind. I'm pretty sure that whatever I wear it will more than likely be vintage or a repro. But, I'm just worried I will be much more dressed than he will be. Although he is a lawyer and he is picking me up straight from work, so I'm thinking he'll be in a suit. Also since he does know about the vintage thing, he might just assume that I will be wearing vintage, so he might not be as shocked as I'm worried he'll be. I'm definitely gonna go for a played down, yet elegant look.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Do women really worry that much about this??? :rolleyes:

Yes, and frankly I wish more men, at least in my age-group, took some care too. Really, I can admire you (not YOU, Maj. Danger!) being, say, a Eagles fan, without you proving it by plastering yourself with their merchandise. :eek:
:eusa_doh:
-Viola

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
yes...we fret about outfits and so forth...

because face it....on a first date, you get about 10 seconds or less before the date decides you are their type looks wise. Probably less then 10....and if you arn't presenting what they would be interested in....you might as well head right home, as they will be checking out the waitress and anyone else female, instead of actually getting to know you are a person....

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Exactly Miss Neecerie! you hit the nail right on the head.:)

I know how you feel Viola, at school, and work, it's a good fashion day if the sweatpants coordinate with the ripped T-shirt and sweat jacket.:rolleyes: Oi!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
yes...we fret about outfits and so forth...

because face it....on a first date, you get about 10 seconds or less before the date decides you are their type looks wise. Probably less then 10....and if you arn't presenting what they would be interested in....you might as well head right home, as they will be checking out the waitress and anyone else female, instead of actually getting to know you are a person....

But if they are not interested in the real you, they will never really be interested anyway, no matter what you wear. So as I said, it's their loss. And really, how could you expect to accurately predict the exact mode of dress that a guy would completely appreciate? Plenty of fish in the sea. :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Yes, and frankly I wish more men, at least in my age-group, took some care too. Really, I can admire you (not YOU, Maj. Danger!) being, say, a Eagles fan, without you proving it by plastering yourself with their merchandise. :eek:
:eusa_doh:
-Viola

Well I see what you mean Viola, all too much every day. :eusa_doh: The appalling lack of originality in the male mode of dress. This is why I wear my own nose art jackets as a form of protest against corporate advertising attire.
However, back to the matter at hand,... I think it's safe to assume that a date that wears the typical ubiquitous sportswear we see so often, would not be the least bit fazed by less than perfect attire on your part. So, why fret so?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Going beyond manners of dress, although the first impression is important, as well as having shared interests, there are things far more critical to a healthy relationship. If someone's crazy enough about you, they'll get involved with what you're involved in eventually. My last two girlfriends played a big role in my hobbies and the growth of my interests.

...and while women are quite concerned with their appearance, I'd agree that most men today aren't concerned enough! Those few that are seem to take it to extremes, resulting in such things as the 'metrosexual' stereotype. You have to admit that the well-dressed gentlemen that we have here on the Lounge are a rarity in our society and certainly an exception to the rule.

...ignorance in things sartorial, of course, is curable. If a guy is a slob and likes being a slob, good luck getting him to clean up. People are usually set in their ways and will resent others trying to change them. In Daisy's case, he sounds interested and would probably be an easy convert. I doubt she's got much to worry about.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Daisy, don't worry. Go for the pared down, elegant look that you decided upon. You'll be polished, but not worried that you're overdone. Just have confidence in yourself. Your date sounds like a very open-minded man who is displaying a genuine interest in your hobbies and lifestyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran