Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage pics of african americans

Tikismall

New in Town
This is a fantastic thread and it makes me feel so good seeing these photos.

People sometimes give me strange looks for dressing vintage but I know that ladies and gents of the decade dressed fabulous and it's so refreshing to see others acknowledge it too.

Thank you LadyDay :)

cecil

A-List Customer
couple from good ole squareamerica.com

pb140.jpg
pb143.jpg
pb142.jpg

my favourites:
pb144.jpg
pb156

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Post-golden era, but irresistible <3:

girl-hair-ronnie-spector-1967.jpg

Ronnie Spector

e64cea2b162b33a05f32474525131863.jpg

The Ronettes

They're mother was African-American and Native American; their father was Irish. *Swoon*

Miss Tre

New in Town
Love this thread!
I did a lot of research for my retro photoshoot (my avatar) and came across many of these.

I'm actually in the midst of a hair experiment. My hair is not relaxed and I want to see if I can create 40's styles without direct heat. (flat irons or curling irons) . Just roller sets. I did one style, but didn't give myself time to dry....borderline hot mess. :)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A possible third portrait of Robert Johnson...

robertjohnson_large-1.jpg

There was once a post on eBay featuring this photograph. It is, allegedly, a lost photograph of the late King of the Delta Blues, Robert Johnson. There are only two known and authorized photographs of Johnson known to exist. There have been no bids placed , but the reserve was $795,000.

-dixon cannon

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
cherry lips said:
Me too! Though I think that they're wearing wigs.
It could go either way. I have seen pics of my stepmother with hair exactly the same and it wasn't a wig. On the other hand, wigs and hairpieces seem to have less of a stigma for African American women than they do for caucasian women.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
They are most definitely wigs. That is what you went to the hair dresser for, a wig that made you look like you were in a Doo-Wop group :)
Im still on my quest to find black hair styles *pre* 40s, with not much success. Im gathering info for a blog post, but there are slim pickings out there pre WWII. :(

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ny2_1970.539.10.jpg

Pity this isn't a bigger image for detail purposes, but this is the office staff of the Madame C. J. Walker Manufacturing Company in Indianapolis in 1929. Walker herself died in 1919, but her company carried on for many years thereafter as a leading manufacturer of African-American hair care and beauty products.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Lizzie, that is a great shot.

I guess I should have been more specific, before CJ Walker's influence rooted as the ideal of black beauty. Same time period, but I want to see what women looked like before they bought their lye relaxers.

I have a few pics in my mind some of which Rosie posted that I Cant find any were and its driving me bonkers and I've even emailed her a bout it! Ah!

I think Ill ask my granny again. But it was something that wasn't documented. They just didn't talk about it. There is this gap of black American beauty (between hot comb hair straightening to chemical hair straightening) that just hasn't been documented. Its driving me crazy!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner