Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage pics of african americans

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
marti_and_maceo_01.jpg

Jose Marti and Antonio Maceo. Antonio on the right. He was a General in the Cuban Liberation Army. His beard and mustache are amazing, what a handsome man.

VintageLove

New in Town
cherry lips said:
Post-golden era, but irresistible <3:

girl-hair-ronnie-spector-1967.jpg

Ronnie Spector

e64cea2b162b33a05f32474525131863.jpg

The Ronettes

They're mother was African-American and Native American; their father was Irish. *Swoon*

oh, wow! my father is native american and irish, and my mother is caribbean (african-american, if she has to check a box, haha). but they're gorgeous.
and this thread gives me a little reassurance. i always feel slightly out of place, to be honest, but this is wonderful :)

VintageLove

New in Town
LD, I definitely know that feeling. But, for me, it's mostly within the rest of the african american community (especially in my college town) that I tend to feel a bit ostracized and, at times, blatantly ridiculed. I've received some extremely tasteless comments from people, insinuating that I'm an "Uncle Tom," or something of the sort. But other members of the vintage-tailored lifestyle are very rarely that way (I've only come across one instance, and this individual had a very prejudicial disposition that was quite obvious) But, in any case, it's lovely to see that I'm not alone, that's for sure!

Plus, these pictures gave me a lot of ideas for hairstyles when I'm feeling a little lazy :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I completely know what you mean. For me, it started when I began to listen to some music that was not 'black' enough. But also, because of my lighter skin tone, I got a lot of name calling even as an adult in the context of what you are referring to.

Now, because I am from the south, when people look at how I dress, I get more smiles from the olders than the youngers. To the younger, you can use the 'Neo Soul' label, and sometimes they leave you alone even if they dont know what that means, they have heard the term before ;)

I cant use the hair reference for beans, because I wear my hair natural. Aw well. Give and take I guess.

LD

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
.................Paul Robeson

autophot.jpg

It's hard to speak of him without drifting into politics but it's suffice to say that he was a very special man.

VintageLove

New in Town
Aw, yes, the "not black enough" routine: I'm all too familiar. And I wish I could wear my hair natural, but that would be quite the disaster. But, then again, so is the week before I'm scheduled for another relaxer...

JennyLou

Practically Family
Oh, I love all these pics. Whenever I see vintage picture I always wonder about the people in them and what their lives were like. Thanks for sharring.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
VintageLove said:
LD, I definitely know that feeling. But, for me, it's mostly within the rest of the african american community (especially in my college town) that I tend to feel a bit ostracized and, at times, blatantly ridiculed. I've received some extremely tasteless comments from people, insinuating that I'm an "Uncle Tom," or something of the sort. But other members of the vintage-tailored lifestyle are very rarely that way (I've only come across one instance, and this individual had a very prejudicial disposition that was quite obvious) But, in any case, it's lovely to see that I'm not alone, that's for sure!

Plus, these pictures gave me a lot of ideas for hairstyles when I'm feeling a little lazy :)
People can be really stupid. I think Minneapolis must be pretty progressive though because I have only received nice comments about my retro style. At least all I know of are the nice comments. I also get questions from people who seam a little curious or confused but nothing downright mean yet. I love your hair by the way.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
deadpandiva said:
I think Minneapolis must be pretty progressive though because I have only received nice comments .
Minneapolis is the capital of nice in America. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk