Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Radio Found!

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I actually saw a nice set at Goodwill today. The name on the interior of the clouded dial was a bit difficult to read but looked like "General Electric Telechron". Measured about 16-18" tall. The case was in very nice shape. Dials and switches were present and accounted for. The tubes and wiring were also all present. No plug, however. The store label did say that they didn't think it worked. There was no price. When I inquired, the manage ran over and told me that it was a highly valuable antique and valued at $79.99. :eek: Of course it was a valuable antique, that's why it was on the same shelf as beat-up cell phone chargers and baby socks. Go figure.

Does anyone have any info on this model? If I even have the name correct from the dial. Thanks.

Richard

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Hi Richard,

I've heard of General Electric and I've heard of Telechron, but never saw a merger of the two names on a dial. Well, maybe I haven't had to look for one yet...
Telechron primarily manufactured clocks - their (hard to repair) cheaper alarm clocks were used frequently in clock radios of the 1950s and 60s.

Could you give me an idea of the radio case style you saw?

Maybe check this website out to get a rough idea of what it was:
http://radioatticarchives.com/archive.php?page=g2#GenEle

NOTE: There are three web pages of General Electric radios on that site, not just the one I linked you to. Look at all three if you can.

K

kpreed

RetroToday said:
Hi Richard,

I've heard of General Electric and I've heard of Telechron, but never saw a merger of the two names on a dial. Well, maybe I haven't had to look for one yet...
Telechron primarily manufactured clocks - their (hard to repair) cheaper alarm clocks were used frequently in clock radios of the 1950s and 60s.

Could you give me an idea of the radio case style you saw?

Maybe check this website out to get a rough idea of what it was:
http://radioatticarchives.com/archive.php?page=g2#GenEle

NOTE: There are three web pages of General Electric radios on that site, not just the one I linked you to. Look at all three if you can.
I agree, I have a few G.E. radios and a model sure would help. Good Luck!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
LocktownDog said:
It was very similar to this one. Not exact, but close enough. Real pretty. If the one I saw was $20 or less, I would have snapped it up in a sec just as a display in the house.

http://radioatticarchives.com/radio.php?radio=1352

Richard

Wow. That was a weird experience. I just bought one of those exact radios in September of 2007. When I was doing research on it I found that very photo.

I think if it's like that, good finish, most tubes functional, that's a good deal!
Although, sometimes I'd like a better deal too.

This is considered a tombstone radio. I didn't have a tombstone in my collection so I bought it, even though it was painted SILVER, for about the same price you just mentioned. And I had to bargain with the guy.

The tubes alone would probably be worth that much money.
The only drawback to this radio is that people tell me it's tricky to work on the electronics, a little cramped for space.

By the way, the dial glass on mine is actually made of glass. It was cloudy (old dust) too - I cleaned it up and it's probably the clearest dial in my collection!
And I've stripped off all the horrible silver paint. Hope to stain and refinish it this Spring.

Want to go back to Goodwill? Look in the back of the set to make sure it's all there. Hopefully the paper information sticker will still be on the wall of the inside of the radio.

Here's my General Electric model K-80, before it was stripped:

1454499606_229ccab78a.jpg

And here is the paper that should be glued to a wall inside the case:

1453625239_d37df57611.jpg

*Have a look at my radios if you got some time, the link is in my signature below this post.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Only part of the paper was there and even that was very brown. All the tubes were in tact, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to figure whats functional and whats not. But like I said, it would have been cleaned up and displayed on a table anyway. Alas, with the holidays here, I am lacking the $80 to play with anyway. But it was a fun find!

Richard

Boris K

One of the Regulars

If you are in the area, you might want to go back and ask again - sometimes the price drops after a while... [huh]

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Boris K said:
If you are in the area, you might want to go back and ask again - sometimes the price drops after a while... [huh]

I thought I'd give it a few more days. This store is notorious for demanding a high turnaround on merchandise. I might be able to snag it for $50.

Richard

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Recap

As I always tell people, if you buy it and want to play it, have it looked at by a real expert. You MUST replace the capacitors, or you will have a real fire hazard. But if you do get it recapped, you'll have a possession that you will be very proud of. That looks like a really cool old radio.

Flivver

Practically Family
I have had the RCA version of the GE K80 for years (RCA 140). It's quite a good performer and good looking as well.

The K80 was actually made for GE by RCA as were all 1931-35 GE and Westinghouse radios sold in the U.S.

RCA, which was owned by GE and Westinghouse, was broken apart by the government in 1932. Part of the agreement was that RCA would continue making radios for GE and Westinghouse to market under their own brands for several years after the break up.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Great history recap Flivver. :)

Now Richard, don't be surprised if you go back to the Goodwill in a few days and don't find it in the same condition you first saw it.

I don't know if Goodwills in your area are the same as mine, but the salespeople here don't really keep a good eye out on their merchandise. You may find all the tubes and knobs have been stolen from the radio the next time you see it. There's a chance the dial glass might even get cracked or smashed.

At least your Goodwill seems much better as far as honourable salespeople go. In my area they wouldn't have even put that radio on the sales floor, the crooked employees would "make it disappear" and sell it on ebay - not giving Goodwill any of the profits. And it does happen, all the time - I knew a few of those creeps back in high school.

Sorry to be a downer (if I am being one) just be prepared....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran