Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage recipies

HepKitty

One Too Many
^ LOL I have that hors d'oeuvres book! Cool! I want to say mine is dated early 1940s, wonder if yours is the same? I found mine on a Half Price Books clearance shelf.

this and the Royal she gave me for $3 because that was all I had in my wallet at the time lol the sticker on it has 1941 written on it and I checked inside the book, and using a guide to Roman numerals, figured that it really is 1941 :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Here are a couple of recipes from the Royal cookbook. I posted them in the chocolate thread but they should be here too

chocolate caramels

2 c molasses
1 c brown sugar
1 c cream or milk
1/4 lb unsweetened chocolate
4 tbsp butter

boil all ingredients until they harden in cold water, add 1 tsp vanilla and turn into greased tins. when nearly cold, cut into small squares

Lady Goldenglow

1/2 c shortening (knowing me, snob that I am, I'd use butter)
1 1/2 c sugar
grated rind of 1/2 an orange
1 egg & 1 egg yolk (save the white!)
2 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder (of course they advise using Royal b p)
1 c milk
1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted

cream shortening with sugar and orange rind. add beaten eggs and mix. sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; and add alternately with milk, mix gently. fold in beaten egg white. divide the batter into 2 parts and add chocolate to one part. (here is where it gets to be seriously high-maintenance) put by tablespoonsful alternating light and dark batter into 3 greased layer cake pans. bake in moderate (I would guess 350F) oven for 20 minutes.

filling and icing:

3 tbsp melted butter
3 c confectioner's sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
grated rind of 1/2 an orange
pulp of one orange
1 egg white
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate

mix butter, sugar, orange juice and rind. cut pulp from orange, removing all skin and seeds and add. beat all until smooth. fold in beated egg white. spread icing on layer used for the top of the cake. while icing is still soft, sprinkle top layer with shaved chocolate using half of a square. melt the rest of the chocolate and add to the rest of the icing. spread chocolate icing in between layers and on the sides of the cake

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
My father refused to eat anything peanut-flavored that was also sweet. No peanut butter cookies, no peanut M&M.

Dad and his best friend sat up in the treehouse one summer day and ate an entire batch between them. Dad got so sick he could never face peanut butter again.

So, in honor of the upcoming month of July, during which would have been my father's 94th birthday, I give you Peanut Butter Fudge, transcribed directly from a card he wrote out a very long time ago. It is quite tasty, and horribly sweet.

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Boil to soft ball
Add gob of P.B. app 1/2 cup
and beat til arm breaks

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
And a fruit salad contributed by my paternal grandmother to the 1923 Yellow and Blue Cook Book, "A Choice Collection of Choice Recipes" published by the Women's Auxiliary to the University of Michigan Presbyterian Corporation.

Fruit Salad

2 apples, 3 bananas
1 cup pineapple
1/2 cup white grapes, seeded and cut lengthwise
After fruit is cut and mixed if little lemon juice is added fruit will not darken.

Dressing
Yolks 4 eggs
1/4 teaspoon paprika, 3/4 of salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar

Mix and boil until thick. When cold add about 1 pint whipped cream. Mix with fruit and serve on lettuce leaf, placing some whipped cream on top with maraschino cherry.
Serves 12 persons.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
And one more, from the same cookbook in the previous post, contributed to the cook book by Mrs. W.H. Jackson

This makes a gloriously fluffy white and light yellow dessert. Pretty AND tasty!

Hamburg Cream

5 eggs
1 heaping cup pulverized sugar
2 lemons

Beat yolks with juice of lemons, then with sugar; cook until it thickens, stirring constantly. Cool and add well beaten whites. this will fill 8 sherbet glasses.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
Ham Dandy (The Yellow and Blue Cook Book 1923)

1 cup chopped ham
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped hard boiled egge
White sauce and seasoning

Add seasoning, mix with white sauce, bake and serve in peppers. Any cold meat or liver and bacon may be used. Mrs. Ida Gracey

rwjNBhhwyy95rI4E3tjXLmbKeMDlpf-vi.jpg

I used dry canned breadcrumbs and lunchmeat ham slices, chopped. The white sauce was 2T butter, 2T flour, 1C milk.
Would have been prettier if I'd mixed butter and breadcrumbs for the top.
350 degs F for about 45 minutes. Maybe could have baked for an additional 15 minutes.

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
o8GPj_RiKRdMsQsPG-vi.jpg

Date Bread p 14
The Yellow and Blue Cook Book, 1923

2 cups granulated sugar
2 3/4 cups bread flour, 2 teaspoons soda
1 tablespoon melted fat, little salt
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup nut meats, chopped fine
2 cups dates
1 egg, vanilla

Stone and cut dates in quarters, pour boiling water over them. Cream melted fat and sugar, add egg well beaten, and then alternately the flour and water which has been drained from the dates. Beat all well, and add other ingredients. Pour into well greased pan and bake slowly 1 hour. Very good.
Mrs. W. J. Wilson

I used raisins instead of dates. Nut meats = walnuts, fat = butter. I added the soda with the flour, and the vanilla with the egg.
Although I alternated water and flour, I still ended up with a lot of little flour lumps in the batter. Adding 1/2 of the flour, then just a little water, than the rest of the flour before the rest of the water might have worked better. I used an 8 x 8 pan (nonstick, ungreased). 300 degrees F for 60 minutes.

It is quite sweet, and the top is a gorgeous, glossy brown.
The texture is a bit gluey - probably because I took "bread flour" literally. I should probably have interpreted it as "not cake flour" and used all purpose flour. I like the proportions of nuts and dried fruit - some cakes like this are stingy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner