Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage recipies

Feraud

Bartender
Carried over from this thread, let us start this vintage recipe thread.

From our original 1955 copy signed by Mr. Hines himself.
scan0121.jpg

scan0122.jpg

Excuse the sloppy scan.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I have the recipe for 21 Club's famous chicken hash. I've never made it, but it's always in the back of my mind. Maybe some day soon!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
woodyinnyc said:
I have the recipe for 21 Club's famous chicken hash. I've never made it, but it's always in the back of my mind. Maybe some day soon!

Ooh, you should post it. I'm sure other Loungers would like it!:)

Thanks Feraud for starting this thread, and for posting the first recipe. I've always wanted to make Neuberg!! Now I finally have a recipe to do it!:)
:eek:fftopic: I just noticed the "bartender" underneath your name. Congratulations:eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
Thrift stores are packed with old cook books if anyone is looking to start a collection. They make for interesting reading and are very cheap.
I do not think my wife paid more than a few dollars for the Duncan Hines book.

Daisy Buchanan said:
:eek:fftopic: I just noticed the "bartender" underneath your name. Congratulations:eusa_clap
Thanks!

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
Oh...I have lots of these....my dad's side of the family passes down recipes like crazy. Some are printed in my great grandmother's handwriting, given to my grandmother when she got married in the mid 50's. My great-grandmother got them (according to my grandma) from her Mother in law just after her (MIL)'s 50th wedding anniversary in the 20's. So yeh, these are old! Bear with me because it's written in my great grandma's British handwriting which is just impossible to read. A lot are also written in shorthand and don't mention all the directions because a good housewife would know what to do! Thankfully my great-grandma had the forsight to translate them into American measurements...(she had been living in America at that point).

Let's see from my great grandma:
Baked Zuccini Casserole
Stuffed Rolls
Baked Chicken Breasts (this is a variation of the one ont he back of the soup can it looks like)

Other recipes from my grandma:
Pecan Pie
Gingersnaps
Quiche Lorraine
Fat Soup (the handwriting looks like my grandpa's mother)
Layered Taco Dip
Chocolate Fudge
Chicken Casserole

Anyway, here's the Stuffed Rolls recipe (as written by her):
12 longs rolls. Soft french or <unreadable word> rolls. Remove a little of bread from center of roll.
Grind: 1 medium onions, 1 bell pepper, 3/4 lb sharp cheese
bottle stuffed olives
Mix with bread out of rolls 1/2 can tomato sauce. Fill half split rolls and wrap in foil. Heat about 20 min in 350 oven or until cheese is melted and hot.
You can make these ahead of time and put in the freezer. I use the hot dog buns or rolls.
P.S. There is no pickle in these

the unreadable word: ueince weinice goodness knows what it's supposed to be.

Shimmy Sally

My Mom gave me a recipe card that she had labeled "Stupid Pie". Apparently when I was little she was teaching me to make mock apple pie. When we were done I said, "Well that's a stupid pie. Why don't you just make a real apple one?"
My brothers thought that was funny, so the family renamed the recipe.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
German Fried Potatoes and Onions

This is a combination of what my Mother could remember of what my Grandmother told her about how to make these, and what I could make out of it. I'm not good about exact measurements, so please forgive me on that score.

About 2 T oil (I use veggie or olive)
About half an onion
About 2-3 medium size potatoes
About a half cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste.
A skillet with a lid

Wash your potatoes. You can peel them if you like. I don't. Cut the potatoes into chunks about 3/4". Chop the onion.
Heat the oil in the skillet on medium heat and add the potatoes. Cook for around 5-10 minutes stirring periodically, they like to stick. Add the onions, keep stirring. You may need to add more oil during this proccess.

When the potatoes are cooked to just soft, and the onions are translucent, carefully add the water (it will tend to spit due to the oil) and immediately cover. Turn down heat and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes or so stirring periodically until the water is gone. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot!

It should make a sidedish for 2. Play with variations of it. I can't swear by the proportions, I've never seen it written down, I just make it from memory. Definitely vintage.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
I would like to be a Friend of the Friendly Oyster!
My housemate,who is an excellent cook, is making dinner from a cookbook, more of a pamphlet, called Rice, 200 Delightful ways to serve it. Copyright 1934 by Southern Rice Industry New Orleans, LA. My job is to stay out of the way, I mean the kitchen. Tonight, Curried Crabmeat.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Shimmy Sally said:
My Mom gave me a recipe card that she had labeled "Stupid Pie". Apparently when I was little she was teaching me to make mock apple pie. When we were done I said, "Well that's a stupid pie. Why don't you just make a real apple one?"
My brothers thought that was funny, so the family renamed the recipe.

lol lol lol lol lol

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
I posted the other one, now here's an example of a bare bones recipe (geez I love my family...really! /sarcasm) :eusa_doh: Spaced out just how it's printed

Pecan Pie
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
---cream

add 1 cup light corn syrup

1/4 tsp salt

3 eggs
Vanilla 2 tsp
1 cup pecans

Bake 350 for 1 hr

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
berrybuzz said:
I posted the other one, now here's an example of a bare bones recipe (geez I love my family...really! /sarcasm) :eusa_doh: Spaced out just how it's printed

Pecan Pie
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
---cream

add 1 cup light corn syrup

1/4 tsp salt

3 eggs
Vanilla 2 tsp
1 cup pecans

Bake 350 for 1 hr

I use that exact recipe! During the holidays it gets a shot of Bourbon!

If you're interested in not only recipes, but WWII food folklore, this is an excellent read, "How To Cook A Wolf" by M.F.K. Fisher. All of her books are absolutely wonderful, whether you're a foodie or not. "The Art of Eating" is a compilation of several of her books ("Consider The Oyster" is in there, Patrick). It's the only book that I've loved so much that I have given away at least a baker's dozen times.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I have in my file a lot of old recipes from the choctaw and cherokee side of my family...most of them no one here would probably want though....heck a lot of them I refuse to even try...they include
Yellowjacket Stew (the first step in the directions is to secure and entire nest of ground dwelling yellowjackets. no joke)
Baked Possum
racoon
blood sausage (made with animal blood)
and lots of other um....interesting concoctions....most of them are for wild game and are things I grew up eating and still eat today our family's fry bread recipe for one....but someof the weird ones...I keep those for conversation starters :)

I do have a few recipes from my great-grandmother that her sister talks about in her diaries afrom the war...I'll have to see if I can hunt them down...

From the Old Country

My Mom's cookbooks, the real old ones are in Danish and have a lot of handwritten recipies on slips of paper stuffed in them. She also has my father's mother's cookbook in Norwegian. Among the books are a few recipie books from church which i enjoy reading as they are much beloved dishes.

A Fav of mine is Benlose Folle (pronounced "beanless a fooler" which in the comedic Danish style means "Boneless Birds") and is the Danish version of Rouladen (German).
A beef steak (minute type) or pounded type is floured, salt and peppered. Take a slice of bacon and a 1/2 teaspoon of fresh chopped parsley and roll up. Pin with tooth picks. Lightly oil a hot cast iron fry pan and brown all sides.

Remove meat, add a bit of coarsley chopped onions celery and carrots to pan and place roll ups back on top add a little bit of water or broth and stick the pan in the oven for about 45 min at 350. Remove rollups strain or blend the vegies in the pan and make a brown gravy from the liquids and stuff on the bottom of the pan. Serve with boiled new potatoes and veggie of choice.

The German style can use diced onions either raw or sauteed or sometimes even a slice of dill pickle as the filler.

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Ms. Berrybuzz, that's like a lot of my folks' recipes. If I can ever assist with translation, just ask and I'll try.

Would be nice as some recipes take a bit for me to figure out. Especially since in my great-grandma's handwriting beat and heat look exactly the same.

However, I have no scanner and a lost digital camera (I must clean out my car as i suspect it's hiding in there...or at least I hope so!). So no way to show the original recipes. Otherwise I would post them in their original format.

berrybuzz

One of the Regulars
Thora Zine said:
I use that exact recipe! During the holidays it gets a shot of Bourbon!

If you're interested in not only recipes, but WWII food folklore, this is an excellent read, "How To Cook A Wolf" by M.F.K. Fisher. All of her books are absolutely wonderful, whether you're a foodie or not. "The Art of Eating" is a compilation of several of her books ("Consider The Oyster" is in there, Patrick). It's the only book that I've loved so much that I have given away at least a baker's dozen times.

A shot of bourbon....I'll have to keep that in mind next time I make it! :)

I will definitely have to check out that book. Sounds perfect. Vintage food recipes and budget food recipes in one.
I'm extremely picky (I believe I've been classified as a 'mom's home cooking' picky)...I like simpler dishes. The funky modern stuff just doesn't appeal to me. The word 'Gourmet' or 'Bistro' is usually an indication that I won't like it. yucky! lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy