Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage roadside

Route 66 outside of Albuquerque, New Mexico. 1963.

Tomahawk_Trading_1963.jpg

I lived in Lawrence in 1963/’64 and have zero recollection of the place. It would appear that I missed out on one of the cultural highlights of the town. Chalk it up to bad parenting or something.
It's in the KAW River bottoms north of town, north of I-70 on Hwy 24. Behind it is a large vegetable farm & they used to set up their roadside market in front of the twin tee pee bldg. A few yrs ago a corner of the farm was turned into an overnight campground.

You may remember that Haskell Indian College for Native American students from all tribes is located in Lawrence.

That section of I-70 has always been a Turnpike so I always run Hwy 24 to avoid the turnpike fees, & have passed by for yrs.

That section of I-70 has always been a Turnpike so I always run Hwy 24 to avoid the turnpike fees, & have passed by for yrs.

I clearly remember the turnpike, and how racially segregated Lawrence and environs was back then.

The Old Man briefly had a gas station there, one in a long string of his failed business ventures. And he worked at the KU power plant. I hear that the power plant structure is still there, but it no longer generates power. Is that so?

We lived in a house a short walk from that building. The house burned at some point after we moved away, I was told.

I clearly remember the turnpike, and how racially segregated Lawrence and environs was back then.

The Old Man briefly had a gas station there, one in a long string of his failed business ventures. And he worked at the KU power plant. I hear that the power plant structure is still there, but it no longer generates power. Is that so?

We lived in a house a short walk from that building. The house burned at some point after we moved away, I was told.
I think a new power plant was built & I'm sure the old structure was torn down but can't claim that true for sure. I'm trying to think exactly where it was located (down river on the KAW?).

The Elderidge Hotel that predates the 1863 raid on Lawrence has been fully restored inside instead of piece-mealed as in the past. But I have never been inside it.

KU returned from their possession the few bones of William Clarke Quantrill they had some yrs ago & now parts of Quantrill are buried in Louisville, KY, Dover, OH, & Higginsville, MO.

And Geo Armstrong Custer's horse, Comanche is no longer on display at KU. It is in need of taxidermy repair work & has been put in storage.

Everything's up to date in Lawrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points