Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage shoes

markapsolon

New in Town
I'm not that knowledgeable on shoe wear from the 60's and 50's so I have to post this question since I know several of you are gurus on the subject.

What type of black shoes would the average business man have worn back in the 50's and early 60's?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Qirrel said:
Its very simple, really: not much different from todays "classic" types of shoes. You cant go wrong with a simple cap-toe or wing-tip.
In the U.S., at least. British types tend to look down upon wearing full brogues (wingtips) with a business suit, since they're originally country wear; a row of punching across the edge of the toe-cap of an otherwise plain Oxford is acceptable, however.

markapsolon

New in Town
I currently have just a pair of rockport shiny black Ellingwoods. They are pretty plain and I thought they might work with the period since everything was uniform.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
markapsolon said:
I currently have just a pair of rockport shiny black Ellingwoods. They are pretty plain and I thought they might work with the period since everything was uniform.
Well, the sneaker-style sole is definitely not traditional, but they do look like fairly unremarkable bluchers from above.

For the record, though, the most classic style of shoe for a suit is the Oxford, which looks like this. Equally classic is a version with punching across the toe-cap, like this.

markapsolon

New in Town
The rockports are listed as being oxford type shoes and they do look a lot like the ones you posted. I'm a nut for rockports because of the comfort level..lol. I have never been able to find another dress shoe as comfortable. Thanks for the info

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
markapsolon said:
The rockports are listed as being oxford type shoes and they do look a lot like the ones you posted. I'm a nut for rockports because of the comfort level..lol. I have never been able to find another dress shoe as comfortable. Thanks for the info
It's a common (though unfortunate) misuse of the term: true Oxfords have closed lacing (where the two flaps that hold the laces are touching all the way up), while the ones you have are open-laced, and properly called Derbies or Bluchers.

Manufacturers that refer to all these shoes as "Oxfords" will generally use the term "Balmoral" to refer specifically to proper Oxfords, though "Balmoral" is actually a specific kind of Oxford where only the toe-cap's seam extends all the way down to the welt. (Dress boots for formal daywear are usually Balmorals, rare as they are nowadays.)

That said, people have been wearing Bluchers with suits for a long time, and you're unlikely to be called out for it unless they're a color that calls attention to them.

markapsolon

New in Town
Boushi,

You are the man! Thanks for the detailed info! I plan on doing a video later on youtube for hat etiquette and I would love to have some of your input along with the rest of the forum.
acknowledgments will be given :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou