Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Silhouettes Custom Hats - Official Affiliate Thread

smoothsailor

One of the Regulars
Great interview and informative . I wondered why I am more appealed to Art's hats than any others. It must be the " double take".
Thanks Art, keep up the good work. Looking forward to the next one.
Paul

elveston

Familiar Face
My apology to Art.

When Art first announced his new line of "Modern Times", he also announced his incentives for May. Being one to seldom pass up a good deal, I immediately called and placed my order (actually two ... even more of a good deal!). Unfortunately, Art's classic style of fedora doesn't work with my oddly shaped head too well, and I emphasized to Art that I needed a wide brim and a short crown. When we talked again after he received my conformer, he expressed confidence that he could come up with something, although I was still a little worried.
Well, the BC lightweight just arrived. He kept the crown down to about 6 inch open with a 4 inch "telescopic" crown. The 2 3/4 inch brim was bound in a ribbon to match the 1 inch band. Needless to say, the hat felt great, both in my hand and on my head. But, it just wasn't quite right. The crown just didn't seem to "fit" the rest of the hat, even though it was what I asked for. So, I set to reworking the bash to see what would happen. That's when I discovered that Art's vision of his classic fedoras is built into each hat. The bash quickly turned into a teardrop with a beautiful silhouette that started at 4 1/2 inches at the front, rising quickly to about 4 3/4 on the side, then gracefully tapering to 4 inches at the back. The hat is now perfect. As Art knew it would be. And, of course, there's that little "double-take" item in the ribbon - just the smallest bit of deep blue in the knot.
I've tried to take a few photos to show just how nice it is.
20130629_120208.jpg Original configuration. Beautiful Black Cherry color.
20130630_123538.jpg
Natural classic silhouette

Attachments

• 20120908_092033.jpg
    20120908_092033.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 274
  • 20130630_121716.jpg
    20130630_121716.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 270
  • 20130630_121826.jpg
    20130630_121826.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
I like the new bash, Elveston. You're right, it is a testament to Art's craftsmanship and design sense that the hats look good in different bashes.

Are you wearing felts in the summer heat there? My family is in Houston and I only visit between November and April !!

elveston

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the comments. Even my wife likes the BC VS. But she said it was more of a winter hat, and that I should get Art to make another one in a lighter color. From the woman that hasn't said a nice thing about my other 30+ hats!
I do wear a felt (Akubra Bushman) while working outside occasionally, but even the Artlight is a little too much for extended wear in Houston's 107 degree heat wave. The good news is fall is only 2 or 3 months away (or 4 or 5). And, I've got one of Art's Hitchhikers on the way.

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks for all the comments. Even my wife likes the BC VS. But she said it was more of a winter hat, and that I should get Art to make another one in a lighter color. From the woman that hasn't said a nice thing about my other 30+ hats!
I do wear a felt (Akubra Bushman) while working outside occasionally, but even the Artlight is a little too much for extended wear in Houston's 107 degree heat wave. The good news is fall is only 2 or 3 months away (or 4 or 5). And, I've got one of Art's Hitchhikers on the way.

I'll probably be there around Christmas. Since I'll be flying the problem is going to be deciding which hat to take. Maybe I'll see if I have the time to drive so I can pack a couple of extras! Let's see, a couple of VS hats, an Akubra, maybe a vintage Mallory.....

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
photo-vi.jpg photo-vi.jpg

Silvermist
5 1/2" crown
2 1/8" brim bound in "Crystal" 6 ligne
Purple 9 ligne crown ribbon
Diamond crease

Any thoughts on street name?

IMG_0790-vi.jpg IMG_0788-vi.jpg

Dress weight Black Cherry ( the original)
5 1/2 crown
1 5/8" raw brim
19 ligne crown ribbon in burgundy
Center dent w/ pinches

"Dusty Lane"

photo-vi.jpg photo-vi.jpg

Silverbelly
5 1/2" crown
9 ligne crown ribbon
2 1/2" brim bound in 6 ligne Silverbelly

Very understated tone on tone

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Art, the Silverbelly is just fantastic. Is that your new Superfelt megablend (I forget what you call it, but you know what I mean :D ) by any chance?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Yes David, that's "Legacy" made for a client with permission to make it a "Limited". I don't do a great deal of tone on tone but when it's right its great

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass