Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I haven't a clue. As far as I can see, the Edwardson markings are all they have.

There are a couple references to Edwardson shoes online- not very many, though. This is the only ad I've been able to dig up, from 1964.
Edwardson.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I like those Magnannis and they make a good shoe IMO from personal experience.

Here is a recent purchase from the 1940s:ARNOLD 'GLOVE GRIP' BRAND SPECTATORS

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks, Cookie. Those Arnolds are very nice looking shoes. With a name like glove grip, I half expected to see golf spikes on the soles!

Ed88

New in Town
I agree- v nice; I was looking for a good spectator this spring but didn't find anything quite so charming.

Cicero

A-List Customer
I like those Magnannis and they make a good shoe IMO from personal experience.

Here is a recent purchase from the 1940s:ARNOLD 'GLOVE GRIP' BRAND SPECTATORS

Awesome shoes,.
I know what i want under the christmas tree this year. :eusa_clap

SteveAS

Practically Family
I got these old Edwin Clapps (my first pair) recently on ebay. I had to apply some elbow grease, but they cleaned up nicely and fit well.

Before:

$(KGrHqVHJCcE63YFIwPyBO2!ISikIg~~60_12.JPG

After:

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
Incidentally, to clean up the white buckskin portions of the shoes, I used a stick of plain white chalk. In particular, after sharpening one end to a point by rubbing it on concrete, I rubbed the stick of chalk on the shoes to re-whiten the grubby, stained buckskin. A stick of chalk was much easier to find than a chalk bag (at my local hardware store for 19 cents!) and it let me really rub the chalk in well without getting it all over the leather. If you have need to whiten white buckskin, I suggest you give this method a try.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Incidentally, to clean up the white buckskin portions of the shoes, I used a stick of plain white chalk. In particular, after sharpening one end to a point by rubbing it on concrete, I rubbed the stick of chalk on the shoes to re-whiten the grubby, stained buckskin. A stick of chalk was much easier to find than a chalk bag (at my local hardware store for 19 cents!) and it let me really rub the chalk in well without getting it all over the leather. If you have need to whiten white buckskin, I suggest you give this method a try.

Great idea. It's the same stuff BTW.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, cookie and AC; I'm glad I was able to contribute the idea.

Why it's a good technique is that when you use a bag you have to tamp it down and then wipe off the residue from the calf leather part of the shoe. The chalk, of course, is a a mild abrasive on the existing shine. With the sharpened point I suspect you could more easily cut in to the pinking/strapping etc. with little/no 'overspray'. The only thing I could gainsay it would be the pressure you put on the buckskin nap as the buckbag approach does not depress the nap of the buckskin suede leaving a textured finish.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24