Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday Tina came home with some fabric for a new shirt, she liked the pattern so much that she asked me to go to the fabric shop and buy some more so that she could make herself a matching sarong type skirt.
The fabric store is in a large retail complex, the place was packed. I tell you, if you want to draw attention to your self, wear one of Tina's shirts and if she's got the sewing bug she might just run up a pair of white trousers to go with it, match them to a pair of black & white spectators in patent leather and top it off with a battered old Biltmore. Nearly forgot, a pair of Rocket Originals diamond black & white socks are a must.
rocket originals diamond black.png
aloha shirt and spectators 001.JPG

Wolf99

New in Town
View attachment 368513 View attachment 368514
These shoes are listed as Wingtip-Oxfords. So, a question for the knowledgeable. Are Wingtip-Oxfords a model in their own right, or a variation on the Spectator? Those shoes, by the way, are on their way to a good home. The shoe rack at the bottom of my wardrobe.
Kind of both and neither, here. They refer to different things about the shoe and, whilst these are spectators and they are Oxfords, they are not wingtips.

These are spectator shoes (aka Co-respondent shoes). The name is given to two tone shoes, of the sort you have here.

Oxford refers to the lacing system employed - the vamp covers the end of the opening, so these are Oxfords.

Wingtip refers to the shape of the top cap. A wingtip has a distinctive shape where the cap goes up the shoe in a V shape and the edges then extend up the shoe (or looked at another way, it produces a W shape overall). These have straight caps. It doesn’t have to be spectator at all and is a common variation on brogues of all sorts.

What you have is great example of a tarsal strap spectator. The band above the top cap covers the tarsal area of the toes. It was a classic look in the 30s, had sporty origins and was a bit more stylish, I think.

Reactions: JJK

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What you have is great example of a tarsal strap spectator. The band above the top cap covers the tarsal area of the toes. It was a classic look in the 30's, had sporty origins and was a bit more stylish, I think.
What a great throw away remark, 'tarsal strap spectator.' I shall save that for the time a great geek explanation is required. I love it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This morning I went to town for a meeting in a pair of spectators. My shoes were inspired by a pair of vintage specs (owned by David Rogers, aka, The Vintage Shoe Addict). Here are the vintage specs.

i-wRNLjCd-M.jpg

My Alden Siegels are modern Aldens, but capture the essentials of the gorgeous vintage shoes. Alpine grained with suede shoes were just the ticket this morning. A party on the feet.

i-cQ8HdDk-M.jpg

i-sb3CM8j-M.jpg

i-cmnvM6B-M.jpg

i-3XjKjZS-M.jpg

i-hzb7Jbr-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
They are really lovely Eric. I do so like the grained look of the leather. Sometime ago I came across a pair of grained leather shoes that I simply had to have.
shoe54.jpg shoe55.jpg shoe56.jpg
Green is not a common colour for spectators, so I was quite surprised when I sent a photo to Colin Johnson, asking if he could replicate them. Surprised in that he agreed, furthermore he said that he could make them in my choice of green and cream rather than the green and tan that you see in the photo. Colin hopes to have them made by Easter. Watch this space.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
They are really lovely Eric. I do so like the grained look of the leather. Sometime ago I came across a pair of grained leather shoes that I simply had to have.
View attachment 408307 View attachment 408308 View attachment 408309
Green is not a common colour for spectators, so I was quite surprised when I sent a photo to Colin Johnson, asking if he could replicate them. Surprised in that he agreed, furthermore he said that he could make them in my choice of green and cream rather than the green and tan that you see in the photo. Colin hopes to have them made by Easter. Watch this space.

Cheers to the New Shoe Day coming. Cream and green should be eye catching. The grain patterned leather allows them to be worn casual as well as for dress.

Can not wait to see your new shoes on adventures with Tina and your vintage auto.

Eri -

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Old age and amnesia, talk about bed fellows. "You promised to post your green spectators," Tina said. She had time on her hands and she just loves rummaging through The Fedora Lounge threads. No matter how much I encourage her, she won't post though.
Right, a promise is a promise albeit almost a year late. The green on these spectators looks almost grey, it's actually my phone, like me, it's getting on a bit. What I need is some decent sunshine and a good memory so that I can take some photos whereby the true green comes out.
Not long after they had arrived I had a text from Colin, my shoe maker, that's Cordwainer to give him his correct title. He had a blue pair of spectators in my size, a cancelled order. At the price that he offered them, I couldn't resist.
Green & cream spectators 004.JPG
Green & cream spectators 005.JPG
NFMG Run & blue shoes 003.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Today I am sport'n some vintage Freeman spectators. They have the "Cradle Heel." Suede and brown leather shoes are a party on the feet.

i-7hgFkVk-M.jpg

i-BGJtG9g-M.jpg

i-frXWkw3-M.jpg

(BTW: The above 30's Freemans are the same as this post, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-spectator-shoes.57145/post-2599222. They underwent some serious repair time at my local cobbler shop. I am very pleased with the outcome. I can gently wear these for decades.)

Cheers,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points