Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Mondo. As it happens one of the things I was doing today was looking at my summer pants.

The sun is blowing them out to white in the photos, but they are cream linen. Personally, I'm good with the red. Or green, or salmon or khaki. The only comment I got today was one fellow asking me if I was going for a '30s cross '60s look. I was wearing a more likely '70s, but maybe late '60s sports coat with the linen and shoes.
The creme slacks and shoe combo is classy!

Excellent warmer weather shoes Michael.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Good evening. My vintage Robert Johnson and Rand spectators were worn this evening. A mixture of vintage and modern.

i-ZrNDSpr-M.jpg

i-TsKwP96-M.jpg

Enjoy wearing your vintage shoes folks.

Best, Eric -
These look slick, Eric! They look like they'd suit a vintage OR modern wardrobe too. The brand, I'm not familar with--have you got a date on these shoes? Also loving the hats I've seen you wearing in some threads--are all/most of them vintage? Stay looking sharp!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
These look slick, Eric! They look like they'd suit a vintage OR modern wardrobe too. The brand, I'm not familar with--have you got a date on these shoes? Also loving the hats I've seen you wearing in some threads--are all/most of them vintage? Stay looking sharp!

MondoFW; Thanks sir. More about the shoes here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-spectator-shoes.57145/page-28#post-2346914 . Hats - oh yes I have a couple. I post about the hats on the thread here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.19520/page-8530#post-2409011 . Watch the What Hat thread and you will see some really terrific dreamy hats that the forum members showcase.

Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Spring Arch spectators worn this morning to a meeting.

i-9ZgMQ65-M.jpg

Oodles of folks commented on the shoes. Only the two older, classy dressed women knew them as spectators.

i-kgCqZWW-M.jpg

i-sP52JQt-M.jpg

i-5TnpTVB-M.jpg

My cobbler and I have worked to get these gorgeous shoes ready for the warmer weather. Bring the summer on!

i-LmHszN4-M.jpg

i-n4Nt8qS-M.jpg

Original posting here - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-spectator-shoes.57145/page-28#post-2349334 .

These shoes are very comfortable. The brown tongues are a classy touch. Best to all this morning, Eric -

Last edited:

MondoFW

Practically Family
I did attempt to wear the above shoes a couple of weeks ago. The original heels just crumbled. Back to my cobbler were the heels were replaced. My cobbler is a treasure as he appreciates the vintage shoes that I bring in to him.

i-N366gsR-M.jpg

i-RQ3RDvK-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
Yeah, vintage shoes have such risks. On one of my florsheim specs, most of the original lace ripped off, so I have to replace those. Also, my Nunn-bushes make a crunching sound on hard ground. I assumed they were just air pockets in the cork outsole, but with these shoes one can never tell.

Fantastic spectators you have, nonetheless. I just wish these were all risk-free!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, vintage shoes have such risks. On one of my florsheim specs, most of the original lace ripped off, so I have to replace those. Also, my Nunn-bushes make a crunching sound on hard ground. I assumed they were just air pockets in the cork outsole, but with these shoes one can never tell.

Fantastic spectators you have, nonetheless. I just wish these were all risk-free!

Thanks MondoFW.

Killer shoes Eric! Real beauties.

Thanks Benny.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
1940s Nettleton Yarmouth Teju Lizard with suede spectators

Before:
62436063_2567711719929562_5457265431473553408_n.jpg

After:
64391367_2572541379446596_2204629356104384512_n.jpg

Still some work to go: Goodbye Suicide heels and Topy to soles. Reupholstering the heel area.

62526760_2567711789929555_1660456638923931648_n.jpg

Cookie those specs kick butt! I can not wait to see them in action.

This morning I was wearing my 1930 suede creme and brown ventilated spectators, with the "London Spring Arch" system. Love wearing these warm weather shoes.

Since I have posted them before I will post only some combo pics.

i-6cTDt7D-M.jpg

i-RbJcfFB-M.jpg

Enjoy your specs folks! Best, Eric -

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good day folks. I would like to share a couple of new pairs of spectator shoes that I am nearing ready to gently wear.

Just back from the cobbler are these 1940's Elevator Shoes. Blue suede with an alligator print on leather toes, vamp and heel. The shoes are minty and went to the cobbler for heel replacement and sole protectors. The still need suede protecting, another round of conditioning and some Saphir creme polish and Saphir Semi-Gloss. I can not wait to take these out for a spin.

i-dhp55TG-M.jpg

i-Rg8W85H-M.jpg

i-rJLPdwv-M.jpg

i-74qNx7N-M.jpg

i-Z7X6rbD-M.jpg

The other pair is a pair of 1930's Freeman Spectators. This was a pair purchased and I was terrible dissapointed when they arrived. The leather heel had a tear, both heel leathers were comprimised, the soles were beat, heels compromised, interiors beat,suede gunked up and the leather exteriors had many layers of polish and wax. As the pics tell a heavy leather heel was added, the sole redone, the interiors repaired, the soles repaired and sole protectors applied, heels re-done and the suede stripped. The shoes still need suede cleaning/protecting, leather extirior conditioning/polish/wax and the interiors need another conditioning treatment. They should be fun shoes to wear gently. I stubbornly refused to let this pair of whooped shoes go without repaired and unworn. The repairs and supplies have cost three times the original cost on these specs.

i-tcL2Zhk-M.jpg

i-t8WkrCr-M.jpg

i-7LsgCs2-M.jpg

More to come.

Thanks for letting me share.

Best, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko