Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Spectator Shoes

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Holy new spectator shoe day! I would like to take this moment to introduce my new 1930 swede and brown ventilated spectators. They have the "London Spring Arch" system. Truly gorgeous shoes.
i-Pj6n4p2-L.jpg

The suede leather is gorgeously intact and shoes the original leather strength and malleability. The nap is present and alive. When you brush the nap on direction it snaps up,like it did when it was new.

i-mMwTVVF-S.jpg

Cap toe is pretty and shows a spiffy curve. They must have been hard to last and construct. The perforations are well done and spaced.

i-jvJLBQQ-M.jpg

i-SjX2Q6J-L.jpg

The shoes shape appears elegant to my eye. I imagine that the shoe showing from under some spring or summer slacks they will be slick.

i-h9ZdrCL-S.jpg

The soles - the soles.

i-38sLcDN-M.jpg

i-55zDFnP-M.jpg

What's the next step? I will have to protect the soles with a rubber protector. After the New Year I will have my cobbler install sole prtotectors. The suede should have some leather conditioner applied to it. What conditioner? Is this correct? I have ordered the Saphir Suede cleaner and am expecting it's delivery. I am not needing it reight away -planning ahead. The leather (brown), soles and insides have been soaking up leather conditioner this morning. The white I have been careful not to get any on. Additional conditioner has been ordered as I suspect both pairs of new spectators will need some additional treatments. Leather insoles(heel only) will need to be made and installed.

The vented spectators will be gently worn. They are such a condition to give many years of enjoyable spectator views.

Thanks for taking a look at the 1930 London Spring Arch spectators. Best, Eric -
The two pairs of shoes you showcase are beyond amazing....you have all of us that treasure vintage shoes in tears of envy just looking at them!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Robert Johnson and Rand traveling today! Love these shoes!

i-G5725Fr-M.jpg

Bold certainly, but I catch myself looking down at them this morning at a coffee meeting.

i-BHQVxfK-M.jpg

i-834dQHD-M.jpg

i-nhXSB6q-M.jpg

Gray and green colors were hard to capture this morning. I need to et better shots which is an excuse to wear them more often.

Thanks for being spectators to my spectators. Best, Eric -
Wow, those are some gems. Enjoy the travel day.

Michael

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Robert Johnson and Rand traveling today! Love these shoes!

i-G5725Fr-M.jpg

Bold certainly, but I catch myself looking down at them this morning at a coffee meeting.

i-BHQVxfK-M.jpg

i-834dQHD-M.jpg

i-nhXSB6q-M.jpg

Gray and green colors were hard to capture this morning. I need to et better shots which is an excuse to wear them more often.

Thanks for being spectators to my spectators. Best, Eric -
Those are some rare spectators, you may just well have the only pair still in service! Those SCREAM both quality and style, looking good young man!

MondoFW

Practically Family
Excited to eventually reveal my two pairs of true vintage 1940's spectators; a pair of brown and white captoe Florsheims and a pair of black and white spade sole Nunn-Bush Ankle Fashions. Just need to condition and hopefully get my hands on some polish for the Florsheims. Stay tuned!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Excited to eventually reveal my two pairs of true vintage 1940's spectators; a pair of brown and white captoe Florsheims and a pair of black and white spade sole Nunn-Bush Ankle Fashions. Just need to condition and hopefully get my hands on some polish for the Florsheims. Stay tuned!

The shoes you mention sound terrific. I too am anxious to see the reveal.

Congrats in advance.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Here's the specs. The Florsheims (brown & white) don't have as much of a fresh outta the 40's look, but that's what i get from a measly $40 spent. View attachment 115917 View attachment 115918 View attachment 115919 View attachment 115920 View attachment 115921 View attachment 115922 View attachment 115923 View attachment 115924 I just wish these could stay fresh forever, so i could pass them forward to the next generations of Fleishers!
PLEASE get a suede brush if that is suede and brush the hell out of that cream/white suede!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Here's the specs. The Florsheims (brown & white) don't have as much of a fresh outta the 40's look, but that's what i get from a measly $40 spent. I just wish these could stay fresh forever, so i could pass them forward to the next generations of Fleishers!

Grand shoes sir! The Nun Bush shoes should be a pair that really draw some attention right out of the box. The Florshiems are excellent in appearance from the pics. A bit of tender loving attention and those should be stunners.

Brown and white/cream spectators need to get more attention. I like the subtle color contrasts paired with a mix of vintage and modern clothing. That color combination can pop out of my shoe rack at most times. When I wear more bold spectators I need to be in a bold mood.

MondoFW, congrats again and thanks for sharing. I will be interested to follow this thread to see them being worn. My shoes get worn and do not spend time under collectors glass.

Best, Eric -

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Mondo. As it happens one of the things I was doing today was looking at my summer pants.
DSCN0575 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN0577 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The sun is blowing them out to white in the photos, but they are cream linen. Personally, I'm good with the red. Or green, or salmon or khaki. The only comment I got today was one fellow asking me if I was going for a '30s cross '60s look. I was wearing a more likely '70s, but maybe late '60s sports coat with the linen and shoes.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points