Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stetson - VS - Vintage Silhouettes

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Loaded question here. What do you think is better, Vintage Stetson or Vintage Silhouettes? Hats on e-bay seem to be going for only a few dollars less then what Art offers so where does the mark fall? Are vintage Stetson hats really worth it? If so, why? If not, Why? Are you willing to pay $250 for a good condition vintage when you can get Art to make up a made to order for another $50?

Johnny

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Gosh i could have had an Art Fawcett

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/lim_ed_frameset.htm

My preference is Vintage Silhouettes. I have a "Whippet" from the 40's and I

don't think it compares to my "Hooshier" from Art. I think the "Sportarie" is

as much and more of a hat as any "Stratoliner" i have seen. It is my opinion

thats all.

My hat rotation consists of VS for the most part with some vintage Borsalinos

in the mix.

Boy, that's a tough one. As custom hatters go, no one I'm aware of offers a better deal than Vintage Silhouettes. I got a couple of VS hats and I'm more than satisfied with both. There's probably a couple of hundred other guys here who would tell you the same thing.
Is a VS lid a "better" hat than each and every vintage Stetson you'd ever come across? Nope, but then, Stetson made millions and millions of hats, ranging in quality from very, very, very fine to absolute junk.
I think it's safe to say that a VS custom is a better hat than the vast majority of vintage Stetsons. I own several vintage Stetsons and have parted with several others. Most of them are darned nice lids, and easily worth considerably more than the few bucks I paid for them.
You gotta believe that the vintage Stetsons that are fetching upwards of 300 bucks (or more) are, for the most part, unusally fine examples of highly desirable and collectible models. It must be that their age and provenance are major factors in their appeal. There is something special about a 50- or 60- or 70-year-old hat that's essentially as good as it was the day it left the factory.
I wouldn't argue against the proposition that felt was better back in the good old days. But my understanding is that the one factor that would separate old felting methods from modern ones, the use of mercury, was banned in the U.S. in the late 1930s, so any American hat newer than that was likely made without the benefit of mercury carroting.
I happen to have what must be a 1930s vintage midnight blue Stetson. The original five-dollar price tag is tucked under its sweatband. It's a real nice hat. I also own a midnight blue Vintage Silhouettes custom in 100 percent beaver felt. It's a better hat.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a more specific question:

Is a high-quality new hat, custom made to your exact size and very specific felt/color/ribbon/height/width/bash preferences, worth more than a high quality vintage hat that was not custom made for you? The short answer: it depends.

If you do find a vintage hat that absolutely suits you in every detail, then its value is commensurate to that of an Art Fawcett custom. However, the chances of you finding such an 'ideal' vintage hat are less than high. Furthermore, you need luck, patience, (probably) lots of time spent looking on eBay and in stores, and (more and more) a wad of cash.

For an ideal fedora, go with Art. It's easier.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Like the Man said

Marc Chevalier
If you do find a vintage hat that absolutely suits you in every detail, then its value is commensurate to that of an Art Fawcett custom. However, the chances of you finding such an 'ideal' vintage hat are less than high. Furthermore, you need luck, patience, (probably) lots of time spent looking on eBay and in stores, and (more and more) a wad of cash.

For an ideal fedora, go with Art. It's easier.

Perfectly well put.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

Half the fun for me is the searching and waiting and anticapation. Being able to hold and touch and wear history can't be beat.Having a custom made to my specs is very cool and I will continue to do so but nothing compares to finding a perfect vintage hat made with techniques and felt no hatter today can replicate. Some of the summer weight hats I have been getting lately are so light so well made with details that are supurb I can't see how one can be made today with out it costing a fortune. Just my 2cents

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Well said...again

DOUGLAS
Half the fun for me is the searching and waiting and anticapation. Being able to hold and touch and wear history can't be beat.Having a custom made to my specs is very cool and I will continue to do so but nothing compares to finding a perfect vintage hat made with techniques and felt no hatter today can replicate. Some of the summer weight hats I have been getting lately are so light so well made with details that are supurb I can't see how one can be made today with out it costing a fortune. Just my 2cents

Well said as well.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I think that you can't compare the vintage hats to the hats made today by Art. Each one stands on their own merit. Having seen many examples of Art's hats , they are as close to vintage in terms of quality and style. The problem is to duplicate the 60 gram bodies and the cav edges of yesteryear just cant be done today.
I will say that it is a lot of fun getting a box at home with a hat won on Ebay . Sometimes I am presently suprised .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
It's not an either/or...

DOUGLAS said:
Half the fun for me is the searching and waiting and anticapation. Being able to hold and touch and wear history can't be beat.

Well put, Douglas. If I can find a vintage hat in my size that is NOS, or mint condition, that is open crown -- then, in a way, it makes me feel as if I have traveled back in time, passed through the door of a hat store in the forties or fifties, and purchased a brand new hat that was meant just for me. It is a time machine of sorts, and a tangible connection to the past. For me, that is an incredible feeling -- a feeling I experience every time I wear the hat. So, for that kind of hat, I am willing to pay the same that I might pay for a new custom lid.

That being said, I am also a big believer in the notion that those of us who love and appreciate the craft that goes into preserving and perpetuating an art form that is fast disappearing must do what we can to support those who are keeping that art form alive. And so, although I have been on the vintage trail of late, I know that a custom hat (or two...) is in my future, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

DOUGLAS

I agree and custom hats will always be in my future.

Can someone tell me what's going on.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Old vs New

I own several (7) custom hats and love 'em all. I also own dozens of vintage hats, though I am currently thinning the herd, and I love them too.

To me it's like having a vintage car that has some history versus having a new one. Which is better? There will never be a car like my 1965 Mustang Fastback I bought when I graduated from college and it's a good thing. It was a piece of crap compared to what we can easily afford today. However, the 1965's bring a pretty penney if it's in good shape, just like the vintage fedoras.

So what is your poison? I love the old and the new, but only some of them...

jeboat:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
jeboat said:
1965 Mustang Fastback

DROOL!

Just like others have mentioned, its the history of the hat. I love the look on people's face when I tell them that the hat they are looking at is 60 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn