Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Style Reference in Vernacular Photographs

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
You like this Warbaby?

"Family Group Outdoors" 1915
2677414099_36880922b3_o.jpg

This picture only strengthens Marc Chevalier's point about the early newsboy caps and their wonderful look/vibe that the later ones do not capture.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Delivering the mail in Los Angeles - probably early 1920s. I only wonder how long it took to deliver it, it's a nice picture anyway! :)
3471999136_cef2425ae7_o.jpg

The girl obviously loves her horse. That look and connection resonates within me. Thanks for the picture HadleyH. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cub Reporter, Kansas City, ca. 1936

18cronkite_1930.jpg

Walter Wilcox of KCMO wrote and delivered news bulletins as well as calling telegraphed sports events.
By 1939, he had moved on to a correspondent's slot at United Press under his real name: Walter Cronkite.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Delivering the mail in Los Angeles - probably early 1920s. I only wonder how long it took to deliver it, it's a nice picture anyway! :)
3471999136_cef2425ae7_o.jpg

Great picture H. The back story behind that one would be interesting. Were female postal workers common, in the 1920's?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lone_Ranger said:
Great picture H. The back story behind that one would be interesting. Were female postal workers common, in the 1920's?

Lone_Ranger, according to U.S. Postal Service, in 1920 about five percent of the nation 943 village carriers were women.

Here is another portrait of a woman Letter Carrier 1920. :)
NSAP2075_EXTR.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Some photos of my mother (b.1920) and friends, 1936-1939 - typical teenagers in Western Pennsylvania:

M_1936_bike.JPG

M_1936_skirt.JPG

This was her favorite jacket - dark green leather.

M_1937_jacket.JPG

M_1938_car.JPG

M_1938_friend.JPG

College Friends:

M_1939_CollegeFriends.JPG

One of her college beaus:

M_1939_CollegeGuy.JPG

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Lone_Ranger, according to U.S. Postal Service, in 1920 about five percent of the nation 943 village carriers were women.

Here is another portrait of a woman Letter Carrier 1920. :)
NSAP2075_EXTR.jpg

Thanks, H! I wouldn't have thought twice, if it were the 40's. I suppose women pitched in during WWI and afterward, the same way they did in WWII.

A little Gooogle and I found this...

While horse-drawn wagons were the norm for rural delivery, the Instructions for the Guidance of Postmasters and Carriers in the Conduct of the Rural Delivery Service in effect March 4, 1907, authorized Postmasters:

. . . to permit carriers to temporarily perform service on horseback, or by use of bicycles or motorcycles, when their horses need rest or while the roads, owing to storms or other causes, are temporarily impassable for other vehicles, but all mail matter, service equipment, and supplies shall be as completely protected from damage or loss as when the regular conveyance is used, and the schedules ordered by the Department must not be varied from.

Warbaby

One Too Many
There's something about this couple (1905) that makes me wish I had known them. For the time period, they seem unusually casual and comfortable with each other and evoke a sense of absolute confidence and self-satisfaction.

RakishCouple1905.jpg

Drew B

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
^

She doesnt look so happy Warbaby.

I have to agree Hadley. They are a very casual couple but the lovely lady looks like her husband just told her that her bum looks big ... or something to that effect. She just doesn't seem amused. Perhaps she was once attatched to a charming but un-reliable photographer who at the last minute of their wedding day didn't show and the very thought of photographs sends her into a spiral of hate and pain. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it?:p :p :p

On a serious note, however; I've said it before but I'll say it again, Thankyou for all these pictures. I have created a Vernacular Folder in my FL folder and now every photo goes in it with a date and description which I will later subcatagorise into decades. So Thankyou once again.

Cheers,
Drew.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Drew B said:
I have to agree Hadley. They are a very casual couple but the lovely lady looks like her husband just told her that her bum looks big ... or something to that effect. She just doesn't seem amused. Perhaps she was once attatched to a charming but un-reliable photographer who at the last minute of their wedding day didn't show and the very thought of photographs sends her into a spiral of hate and pain :p :p :p

Cheers,
Drew.

Yes! lol Something along those lines! lol lol

Warbaby

One Too Many
It's interesting the different ways one can interpret the facial expressions in old photographs. I took her expression to be a smirk of smug self-confidence, with a touch of arrogant pride.

OTOH, I could be entirely wrong and he could be a possessive, controlling brute who takes perverse pleasure in submitting her to unspeakable acts of degradation.

OTOH, she is taller than he and looks pretty strong - perhaps it is she who dominates the relationship, a woman of means and power who owns him, body and soul, a woman who keeps her well-endowed gardener as a pet and indulges her wanton desires without mercy.

:D

High Pockets

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
OTOH, I could be entirely wrong and he could be a possessive,.....

:D

Prior to reading your post Warbaby,..while studying the photo, I couldn't help notice the body English, nor thinking that he perhaps does seem to be a bit possessive. Which unfortunately is a trait which in today's world which is considered by many to be horrid.

I don't think she looks unhappy in the least,.....she looks "confident".

Beautiful photograph.

Warbaby

One Too Many
That was pretty much my take on the photo, as well. The way he's standing with his hand on her shoulder does convey a sense of possession on his part. You don't often see Edwardian photos with that kind of informal closeness. But I think he's possessive because he thinks she's pretty hot stuff. To me, she appears proud that he wants to possess her because she thinks he's pretty hot stuff, as well. You also don't often see Edwardian men wearing an open-necked shirt with the sleeves casually turned up. I would think that an adventuresome woman of the era would find him sexy and dashing.

I'll bet they both had a whole lot more fun in their private moments than most Edwardian couples...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters