Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Vintage Style Toaster"

Which Would be your choice?

• The Ascot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Manhatten

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I was in Town today looking for a new "Toaster" I could not decide between two models The Morphy Richards - Manhatten or the Russell Hobbs -Ascot

product_a248_14492_main.jpg

The "Ascot" known in the UK as the "Nevada"

230212451.jpg

Morphy Richards "Manhattan" Toaster

I spent a good 15 minutes observing both from every possible angle but just could not decide, both are around $90.00 (Australian)

Shirin

A-List Customer
I think the Ascot looks more feminine with the curved lines while the Manhattan more masculine with its straight vertical frame. Your decision of course, but if I was buying it I would go for the Ascot, I like the gentle curved lines and over all charm that the Manhattan doesn't possess..

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
I agree. Vintage is better. We have a 1940s Sunbeam Toaster we use every day. We also have a 1930s one, but it is the kind with a door on each side, so you have to toast one side of the bread, then turn it over and do the other side. Not real convenient. You also have to watch carefully and open the doors before the toast burns.

We also have a couple of Sunbeam Mix Masters. One a 40s and one an early 30s. But just in case, we also have a big Kitchen Aid Mixer. The old Sunbeam Mix Masters work better! The old 30s white Mix Master has those green glass bowls and green bakelite accessories (Juicer, etc). The product quality and workmanship is significantly better (and more handsome) than the newer Kitchen Aid.

Bill Taylor

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Do vintage American appliances even work on Australian electrical systems? Hmm. I could get a good deal on appliances here to take over there.

But a lot of people are nervous about vintage electrical appliances in ways they are not about, say, metal cookware, and I can't say I blame them. The retro style pieces may not be as well built as the originals but you don't have to worry as much about the wiring?

FWIW, I prefer the Ascot/Nevada, and its sort of Streamline Moderne-reminiscent curves to the angularity of the Manhattan. It would depend on the shapes of my other kitchen pieces though: whether my canisters were round or rectangular, etc.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a Russell Hobbes (different model) and I love it. Perfect toast every time. I think it looks very very slightly more old fashionedish than the other.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Miss 1929 said:
But why a modern one when you could have a truly vintage toaster?

"Sad to say here in Australia second-hand Electrical appliances come with the cord cut off near the base of the item with a big sticker saying it must be checked out by an Electrician, which is expensive. also American appliances run on a lower voltage,to that which Australia uses, I do have an American radio which I run through a step-down transformer which allows me to use it without burning Chez Binkie to the ground

Talbot

One Too Many
Hate to ask a technical question,

is Chez Binkie's switchboard fitted with an 'Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker'? These are designed to detect if the insulation inside any appliances is dodgy, and electricity is leaking to earth, or to the metal frame of said vintage appliance.

Burning down la casa is strictly to be avoided, and a good electrocution can ruin your entire day also.

Chez Talbot's switchboard has one, and its not uncommon to plunge the house into darkness upon plugging in a new vintage find.

Its a quick way to check the insulation on said find as I dont own an insulation tester (megger).

Needless to say, I can't hide any vintage electrical acquisitions from the other half :)

tuppence

Practically Family
Talbot said:
is Chez Binkie's switchboard fitted with an 'Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker'? These are designed to detect if the insulation inside any appliances is dodgy, and electricity is leaking to earth, or to the metal frame of said vintage appliance.

Burning down la casa is strictly to be avoided, and a good electrocution can ruin your entire day also.

Chez Talbot's switchboard has one, and its not uncommon to plunge the house into darkness upon plugging in a new vintage find.

Its a quick way to check the insulation on said find as I dont own an insulation tester (megger).

Needless to say, I can't hide any vintage electrical acquisitions from the other half :)

Talbot I'd be interested to know where you get your vintage electrics fixed in Melbourne. I've got a couple of old lamps and a dodgy fan that needs fixing. If you have any recommendations it would be great.

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
Here's a story about used toasters: if there is a mouse in the house it will get into the toaster, and as a toaster is unwashable I've had to throw away (shudder) all three toasters we've ever had. If I have a vintage one it is for decoration only. Once you've peered into a toaster and seen mouse poo you'll want to store your new toaster in the refrigerator. It makes me squirm to think of mice slithering around in a toaster to get to the few stray crumbs in the base.
If you live in a nice, modern home and have never had mice then Bully for you.

Talbot

One Too Many
tuppence said:
Talbot I'd be interested to know where you get your vintage electrics fixed in Melbourne. I've got a couple of old lamps and a dodgy fan that needs fixing. If you have any recommendations it would be great.

Tuppence, I do my own repairs - if its not beyond me.

The lamps should be pretty straight forward, just a rewire, and possibly new sockets I guess. I'd recommend a good radio restoration place.

The fan may be a little more compicated if the motor is bad and needs to be rewound or replaced.

Ring around - radio restoration work can be really expensive. You might even ask around the dealers at the Chapel Street Bazaar.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
patrick1987 said:
Here's a story about used toasters: if there is a mouse in the house it will get into the toaster, and as a toaster is unwashable I've had to throw away (shudder) all three toasters we've ever had. If I have a vintage one it is for decoration only. Once you've peered into a toaster and seen mouse poo you'll want to store your new toaster in the refrigerator. It makes me squirm to think of mice slithering around in a toaster to get to the few stray crumbs in the base.

Don't live in a modern house, do have three indoor-only cats, toaster is unmolested.

The dog, on the other hand, is absolutely useless in that (and every other) regard, but we love her anyway. lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lol We don't have a mouse problem anymore but we have so much stuff that I have misplaced the free toaster I earned. It's somewhere still in the box. It's not in the fridge. Did I store it in the breadbox? The breadbox is standing on its side on the kitchen floor. Must look in it when we get home. Did I mention we don't have many visitors in?
I like all of these toasters shown.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
patrick1987 said:

Mice? What mice? I've usually got one or two indoor cats! Obviously a cat in the house is the best solution. Otherwise, shake out the toaster and then blow it out with a good shop vacuum to eliminate any er "inedible" stuff. Then just run the toaster empty a few times. The heat generated by the toaster will make "toast" of any germs lurking about. Reminds me of the famous late Julia Child. If any piece of food fell on the floor, she always did what all good cooks do, that is don't say a word, just pick it up, dust it off, and act as if nothing has happened. Whose going to know?! :eek: :D

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I voted for the Ascot. Don't know why. Just looks nicer. When I was a kid in the fifties we had a "Toastmaster". After I left home the folks gave it to me and I used it for twenty years or more until the heating element finally gave out.

With used toasters, its easy to change the cord if it has become brittle or otherwise frayed. Cord and plug should be easy to find in any hardware store. Vintage toasters usually have the wire screwed in place. That is not always the case with cheap "modern" household appliances. Many of them are not possible to repair and are truly disposable.

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I agree that the Ascot fits in well with your other stuff, but I love the clean, modern lines of the Manhattan.

With that said, I'm going to have to get one of those Sunbeams. It looks just like the one my grandma had, and you can't be the price! (Plus, the Morphy Richards brand doesn't seem to be available in the States, and I don't think an adapter in the kitchen, on a toaster, would really be that good of an idea!)

tuppence

Practically Family
I don't get the point of toast racks.
By the time you get your toast in your rack,
the rack to the table,
your toast out of the rack
and onto your plate..........
the toast is cold and your butter won't melt.

Thanks Talbot, Radio restoration place sounds good. The fan motor runs fine there must be a lose connection in the switch area because I have to put a weight on the switch to get it going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24