Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Styled Clothing for Children

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I'm wondering if any parents out there dress their children in vintage or vintage reproduction/styled clothing for special events (say, The Gatsby Picnic, or similar). Or, for that matter, if people in the film industry have a need for period children's clothing. If so, where do you find your children's clothing? Do you make it yourselves? Do you purchase it?

I'm curious to see if there's any interest in clothing for young children (1-10 years) reproduced from period patterns.

Snookie

Practically Family
MissQueenie said:
I'm wondering if any parents out there dress their children in vintage or vintage reproduction/styled clothing for special events (say, The Gatsby Picnic, or similar). Or, for that matter, if people in the film industry have a need for period children's clothing. If so, where do you find your children's clothing? Do you make it yourselves? Do you purchase it?

I'm curious to see if there's any interest in clothing for young children (1-10 years) reproduced from period patterns.

Are you considering producing kids clothes? Cute! I don't have kids, so I'm not in the market. Just wanted to suggest looking at how major companies do their kids clothes -- safety issues are a big deal (you don't want to be responsible for kids choking on your straps), and adjusting them as kids grow is a major selling point for parents (elastic waistbands, even in jeans, are popular for the under 6 crowd).

If you're planning to do custom work and not mass-production, this shouldn't be such a big deal.

Warden

One Too Many
We are lucky in the UK because a number of large retail chains here in the UK are currently producing vintage styled clothes.

There are also various vintage pieces which tend to get swapped around with fellow vintage chums.

Finally there is knitting. The last thing our daughter had knitted was a vintage swimsuit.

Mind you I remember wearing knitted swimsuits as a child, with my Dad telling me to stop being a wus and get in the sea. Now I think back on it, 40 miles to the east of were I was swimming are North Sea oil rigs and they tell the oil men if you fall into the sea without your survival suit your dead in 15 minutes! So maybe I won't be making her wear it, I think it will be more for show.

Harry

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you do dress your kids in costume for some event make sure that doesn't carry over to normal life and school so your kids do not get made fun of relentlessly or worse yet, beat up.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

Warden

One Too Many
We have always taken the view this is our hobby, not our childrens, so where the house is decorated in a retro style, my daughters bedrooms is pink and very girlie.

Same goes with dressing at events, although she only once refused to 'dress up'.

As for Bertie, well he is 18 months old and does not have a say (yet).

Mind you having parents who have a passion for vintage has its advantages, especially when you are tired and there is a big vintage pram at hand.

img26.gif

Harry

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I've been pocketing away vintage children's patterns for a while now, and quite a few vintage kids clothes have found their way into my hope chest. Kids clothes now are so ridiculously priced, I figured I'll end up making mine someday (this is before school age cause no one wants their kids picked on).

P.S. your icon is so gross. Ew. Who would post a kissy picture as their icon ;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
If you do dress your kids in costume for some event make sure that doesn't carry over to normal life and school so your kids do not get made fun of relentlessly or worse yet, beat up.
th_Tip-Hat.gif

At that age, the nail that stands out gets hammered.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My daughter LOVES to wear vintage clothes especially the little girl dresses. I don't usually let her wear the dresses to school, because well, to be honest, she'd come home with them torn up and full of paint. But when she gets home, she can change into her "play clothes" whatever they may be. On the weekends, or days off of school she is usually in her vintage dresses. We look for something with vintage flair when we buy her clothes. Last year Gymboree had a whole set of nautical themed clothing. I usually get them on ebay for cheaper.

Anyways, whenever I go to the vintage shops, we always have to look for her as well.;)
It's her idea.. I don't push my "favorites" onto her, just my rules. ;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's another thread that will help,
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16125

There are tons of children's vintage patterns about and I'd certainly be interested in repros. One of my favorite sites for vintage inspired children's clothing is http://www.dapperlads.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=12
They have some girl stuff too, but not vintagey really. There are a few other sites I'm thinking of but can't find right now!

I buy for my son whenever I get a chance. He'll be 3 in April. I figure I can dress him how I want for about two more years, or at least just for pictures!
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner