Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Suitings: Discussions of, and sourcing modern equivalents, etc.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Mit corduroy trousers are 32oz., too, and I wear them all the time. I am all for the heavy stuff.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Funny thing is, that suit could be worn in most commercial buildings in America during the summer months when the AC is cranked up so high as to frost the windows.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Ha, I was just in an office building in Minnesota this month and had the opposite experience. It was about 30 degrees that whole week, so I bought my winter weight suits. Inside I was burning up because they had the heat cranked to Seventh Layer of Hell temperatures!

Belloqinabush

New in Town
I am in the process of making a three piece suit with peak lapels and a belted back, pinched waist etc. I had planned it as a two button front but perhaps out of laziness and partially a desire to do something different I thought to leave out the bottom button. Is this something that was done in the thirties? The suit is a bold pattern, a light brown that is a cross between striped and plaid... it's difficult for me to describe the specifics. Anyway I was wondering what your thoughts were especially after watching the Grand Budapest Hotel this afternoon and spotting a French concierge wearing a cream coloured one button front outfit.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Huntsman brought the single button jacket into prominence in the 40s and it remains their signature style today. I'm not sure how common it was prior to that.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Is this something that was done in the thirties?

on evening jackets it was very common. on suits it was rare but did happen:

30ssinglebutton.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I saw a very similar two button suit in a film a few days ago. The cut made it impossible for the bottom button to be done up without spoiling the line of the suit.

sola fide

One of the Regulars
Ha, I was just in an office building in Minnesota this month and had the opposite experience. It was about 30 degrees that whole week, so I bought my winter weight suits. Inside I was burning up because they had the heat cranked to Seventh Layer of Hell temperatures!

It is so much easier to dress in the City(San Francisco), never really cold and never really hot. Layers always work regardless of the current temp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR