Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Things that are Still in Common Use

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Cast iron cookware is still in common use. Enameled cookware is often found for sale in Mexican neighborhoods (imported from Mexico). I've got an old fashioned hand-crank meat grinder. Most people still have egg beaters! Many people still use Ball canning jars. The season is now! Lots of guys still use old fashioned hand tools. Some even say they are better than the modern electric versions. And the DAILY NEWSPAPER is still in common use although I fear it is quickly becoming vintage :eek:

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
It is really quite remarkable to see all these survivors from the past still making appearences in everyday life.

I find it rather heartening.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Not to cater to my own rather ethnically-specific childhood but Manishewitz dates to 1888 and while they've added new things, the matzo and wine are pretty much the same as the original recipe.

Also, one of my favourite candies says on their site: "Joyva Corporation was founded in 1907 by Nathan Radutsky when he first brought his extraordinary halvah recipe from Kiev, Ukraine to New York City"

Less ethnic but totally regional: my first love as a kid, Tastykakes!

Tastykake is the brandname for a line of snack foods manufactured by the Tasty Baking Company (NASDAQ: TSTY) of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Established in 1914 by Philip J. Baur and Herbert T. Morris and originally selling its product only in the Philadelphia metropolitan area, the company now distributes its products in several states on the East Coast and has been gradually expanding across the United States.

Tastykake's Krimpets, individual-serving snack pies, and Kandy Kakes, were key components of my childhood.

Viola said:
Not to cater to my own rather ethnically-specific childhood but Manishewitz dates to 1888 and while they've added new things, the matzo and wine are pretty much the same as the original recipe.

Also, one of my favourite candies says on their site: "Joyva Corporation was founded in 1907 by Nathan Radutsky when he first brought his extraordinary halvah recipe from Kiev, Ukraine to New York City"

Less ethnic but totally regional: my first love as a kid, Tastykakes!

Tastykake's Krimpets, individual-serving snack pies, and Kandy Kakes, were key components of my childhood.

TSTY looks like a good stock tip. Thanks. ;) :p

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Shangas said:
THAT'S IT! That's granny's sewing machine! ...You're very right, Pera.T, these things sewed through just about anything! No wonder grandmother loved it so much!

Too bad today's models won't sew through paper without breaking a needle.

Joonie

Familiar Face
WideBrimm said:
Cast iron cookware is still in common use. Enameled cookware is often found for sale in Mexican neighborhoods (imported from Mexico). I've got an old fashioned hand-crank meat grinder. Most people still have egg beaters! Many people still use Ball canning jars. The season is now! Lots of guys still use old fashioned hand tools. Some even say they are better than the modern electric versions. And the DAILY NEWSPAPER is still in common use although I fear it is quickly becoming vintage :eek:

I love my great-granmothers' enameled pieces- but for display, only. They aren't in the greatest shape, which only makes them more endearing. It simply reminds me of how many suppers were prepared in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred